PDA

View Full Version : new hunter looking for guidance

Shea_G
09-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Hello, I am looking to get out and try some deer hunting this year. Ive had my hunters number for a while but only gone duck hunting so far (unsuccessfully) but have been shooting for a long time. I was hoping to start this season off getting out on my quad and doing some local day hunting trips. I live in surrey and would like to stay within a hour or two drive. I dont really know anyone that hunts so dont have anyone else to ask. I was hoping to get some advice on regulations (point and gender restrictions, time of day restrictions, ect) and where I could go to just get out, ride around and learn a few things. Not a huge deal if I never shoot anything but it'd be nice to go where there are some deer around. And also licensing, so I just need to buy my hunting license and a mule deer tag? Is there any other tag worth getting hunting region 2 (whitetail)? Thanks for any advice you could send my way.

two-feet
09-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Sit down and read the regulations, the entire general section and then the entire section for what region you plan to hunt. Do not rely on what people tell you on a forum or otherwise, best to read it yourself. Then try to find a mentor, seems to be a few guys down there willing to help out the new guys. Good luck

russm
09-12-2014, 08:13 AM
You could get yourself a bear tag, I wouldn't bother with a whitetail if you're gonna be pretty close to home, I've learned over my first few seasons that you're better off to spend a bit more time on the highway and go a little further, if you're only an hour or 2 from home that only puts you in hope or Squamish, I've always found more people than animals staying close to home, in planning on getting up early tomorrow and spending a few hours driving and ending up around cache creek/Clinton

rcar
09-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Best bet for regulation information is to read them. You can get them online. Everything for the most part is pretty clear but if you run into something that doesn't make sense, post a question.

As for where to go, I would head east to region 8-5. It is close and there are a ton of trails you can get into with your machine. Best bet will be to spend some time on goggle earth and find an area you can drive into and then get out and hike. Although you can find deer from the road that area has a lot of road hunters and a quad makes a pretty big amount of noise. Plus getting into the alpine there isn't too hard and it is absolutely beautiful.

You will want a mule deer tag as that will be 99% of what you will see.

Good Luck.

digger dogger
09-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Reg3 is only 2hrs away. (I drive fast)
Find a gut on a big slope with trees running up it, between lytton and kamloops. Walk that gut up, or down.
There will likely be a mulie or two in it. Buy a blk bear tag also. Pack a regs with you, a lot of questions you'll want to ask are in the book. Reg 3 has a ton of grouse this year, dont forget your grouse tags;-)
good luck on gettin a buck this year, bear should be a gimme.

For an inexperienced hunter, region 2 can be very tough to find a blk tail deer from a quad. (It does happen tho)
They tend to live off the beaten path, a descent pack frame or a good pack will be useful while packing out a feer, bear, ect.

ianm
09-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Region two is brutal for rookies (take it from me, I've had two consecutive years getting skunked through there, and that includes hiking to isolated areas!!). Not too sure how many whitetails you'll be able to find down here, but there are definitely mulies in them thar hills :mrgreen:

Like the other guys have said, MU8-5 is great (and less-travelled off the Crowsnest), as is Region 3. I love the area down by Bonaparte in 3-30, just south of Green Lake and saw a TON of animals up in Shuswap area as well.

HTH

nmeechan
09-12-2014, 09:44 AM
How about Nelson area anyone have any good info for around there

fyffer
09-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Pm sent. Happy hunting. Read the dregs. Get a mule deer tag and bear tag.

Shea_G
09-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the helpful info. I picked up a hunting license and bear and mule dear tag today. Did my research on field dressing. Im planning on heading out first thing Saturday morning, just need to decide where, as of now im thinking west side of harrison for some black bear. If anyone thinks id have more luck anywhere else im all ears.

LupieHunter
09-16-2014, 08:59 PM
There is no whitetail season in region 2. They are few and far between here but lots of blacktails! I just got my first one on Saturday :)

Backwoodninjajunky
09-17-2014, 08:43 PM
I was up Harrison east side last weekend and there was surprisingly quite a few guys out trolling on quads.. Kinda cramped my style, I'm a newby as well and suggest always reading the regs and, having your back road map book handy. I believe finding the tracks, the skat, and silence is your best recipe for first blood. Good luck out there stay safe out there...

albravo2
09-17-2014, 08:52 PM
I always like a thread where somebody asks where to go and what to do and he doesn't get flamed for not doing enough scouting or research on his/her own.

Lots of good advice on here. In my opinion, the magic is simply getting out there. You will either see stuff, or not see stuff, but you will be learning and earning your chops as a hunter. Remember, its hunting, not shopping, and you'll probably burn a lot of gas before you start worrying about how to get blood stains out of your car.

I spent the first couple years hunting region 2 and it is a tough place to hunt. When you start to explore the rest of the province you start to see why a BC Hunter Number is coveted around the world. It doesn't get any better than this.

Happy hunting!

caddisguy
09-18-2014, 07:59 AM
I think there were some whitetails (introduced) around Hope. There's no season for them though, so take a little time to note the difference... mainly the tails, ears and antlers. This can save you grief in Region 2 in the unlikely event you see a whitetail and whack it by mistake. I let a whitetail doe walk last October in region 3 because I was too slow to positively identify. Now it's second nature. For bears, take your time and make and glass around for cubs... mom lets them wander a little more in the fall.

Region 2 is crawling with bears, cougars and deer, but it's thick, steep and nasty. I would take the ATV to where the trucks can't go, then hike to where the ATV's can't go, then hike some more to where most people aren't willing to go. Try to learn the area, think like a deer and act like a deer. Google earth and a trailcam or two will help with finding your own honey holes for years to come. I'm new at this as well (second year) and I focus on Region 2 September, November and December. I have found good spots with some nice bucks and a bunch of does. They're hunted by cats 24/7 and it's tough to outsmart one. Way I see it, the more I learn the better my chances are to capitalize when one makes a mistake. I figure if I get deer consistently in Region 2 from where they eat or where they sleep, rather than a road in between I'll feel like a hunter hero. One day... one day.

You can get lucky on the road too. I missed a spike in November one morning crossing the road heading back up to bed down. I was too slow to see the spikes. Another guy shot it that evening. It came back across the road and started walking across the river. It stopped on a gravel bar in the middle and he shot it from his campsite. It happens, but hunting off the road in Region 2 is tough. Only seen the 1 buck and a bunch of does after couple thousand kms on the jeep. You can't see very far into the bush and can't hear much over an engine and any deer around probably hid after hearing an engine from 1km away. Road hunting can be productive with mulies in wide open areas in other regions. I highly recommend hiking in somewhere, looking for deer, sign, moving slow, being quiet, listening, etc.

This advice is newb to newb, so take it for what it is... but I did learn a lot of it from experienced hunters

beeker
09-21-2014, 09:29 PM
if you have the time, take a few days in october and travel up to region 8 or 3. there are open seasons for any buck of either species in lots of mu's as well as some antlerless whitetail seasons. a quad is a good way to get the feel for an area especially if you've never been. the advantage of going during the any buck season is that if you are nervous as a newbie identifying between the different deer all you have to do is make sure it has antlers.