PDA

View Full Version : Anybody geese hunt Saskatchewan?

Drillbit
09-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Any tips for a rookie?

lorneparker1
09-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Find field with 1000's of geese in it. Ask farmer. Kill limit

Drillbit
09-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Haha ok!

I've got 400 square miles of land to myself. 12 decoys and a "fast shootin Benelli shotgun"

Drillbit
09-12-2014, 12:49 AM
So....nobody goes there?

Never hunted geese before, was just wondering what to do.

Spot a field full and sneak into it? I don't think that'll work.
Go in the dark and hide somewhere?
Worth taking a dog?

Are geese harder to hunt than crows/ravens?

gunsight
09-12-2014, 05:37 AM
o k here goes fined a field were they are eating fined out who owns field get permission after that set up in field before daylight with decoys also have a blind do not dig a hole farmers do not appreciate that even if you think it will be o k i'll just fill it in compaction isn't their and tractor or combine can fall into it and break an axle .just call them in.should have a blast. i see they are in the fields now that have been combined.good luck.

BiG Boar
09-12-2014, 07:24 AM
What he said. But buy a layout blind, call, and 15 dozen more decoys

pnbrock
09-12-2014, 07:25 AM
hunting there from sept 21-25 will let you know how it goes.

albravo2
09-12-2014, 07:39 AM
Drillbit, you'd see from my posts on the marsh that I am a total rookie at goose hunting but i've been reading a lot so here's some book learning:

- concealment is key. they have sharp eyes and they are wary. sit still in very good camo or hide in a blind.
- bad calling is worse than no calling, especially when there are lots of birds around.
- they are social beasts... the more the merrier, so you might want to borrow or buy more decoys.
- they move off roost in darkness or first light and head for the food. its an early man's game.

I hope one of us can make use of the reading I've done... three days so far this season and only the faintest glimpse of a goose. Good thing I'm a stubborn bast*rd

Drillbit
09-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Ok thanks guys.

I lined up a lay in ground blind, but don't have a call yet. Any recommendations on a call? Don't think I'm allowed to use my foxpro.
I'm going combining, and will need something to do if it rains.

Permission to hunt is not a problem where I'm going. Have at least 100 sections to choose from.

So. I guess I'll try this.

Drive around in the early mornings and find out where they feed.
Pick a spot.
Set up early with decoys and wait till light.

How far away should I park the truck?

saskbooknut
09-12-2014, 11:54 AM
park the truck Half a mile at least from your decoy setup.

You can only use an electronic call with snow goose vocalizations.

We often sled the decoys into the field to avoid making tracks that point like an arrow to your setup.

There is also the option of pass shooting where the birds are coming off the roost and returning to roost.
One place that I know, from a refuge lake, the standard technique is to stand behind the telephone poles and shoot them as they pass.

lorneparker1
09-12-2014, 04:30 PM
park the truck Half a mile at least from your decoy setup.

You can only use an electronic call with snow goose vocalizations.

We often sled the decoys into the field to avoid making tracks that point like an arrow to your setup.

There is also the option of pass shooting where the birds are coming off the roost and returning to roost.
One place that I know, from a refuge lake, the standard technique is to stand behind the telephone poles and shoot them as they pass.

Sorry but anyone who passhoots birds off a roost is a dickhead.

Drillbit you got it right for the most part. Find the birds, go get permission. The next morning set up in the EXACT spot or as close as you can to where you saw them in that field. But your decoys out. Grass up your blind. And slay. If you can call great, if not don't worry about it. IF you can get into a field that the birds were in the day before and set up where they were you will kill some if you are hidden..

Lorne

Drillbit
09-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Ok, thanks boys!

Rollin out early and I'll update when I get back

f350ps
09-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Quote: "Sorry but anyone who passhoots birds off a roost is a dickhead"

I totally agree, we had about 600 birds coming from one roost everyday for two weeks until some guys pass shot them coming off. Day 2 saw 7 birds from that roost!!! K

mountainman
09-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Sorry but anyone who passhoots birds off a roost is a dickhead.

If you've ever seen the roosts in Sask (South Sask river) the number of birds coming off that river are in the millions at times, pass shooting that roost is nothing. Smaller roosts yes are affected, the shear number of birds that go through Sask is insane. Find a good farmer and you'll be set.

lorneparker1
09-16-2014, 08:42 PM
I have hunted Sask, and Manitoba, and alberta, and Ontario and Quebec thanks. I don't care if you are hunting in Iraq, shooting birds coming off or coming back into a roost is a dick head move.

Lorne

pnbrock
09-16-2014, 08:44 PM
I'm not really understanding Lorne are you saying if a guy shoots a roost he is a dick head?

mountainman
09-16-2014, 08:56 PM
I have hunted Sask, and Manitoba, and alberta, and Ontario and Quebec thanks. I don't care if you are hunting in Iraq, shooting birds coming off or coming back into a roost is a dick head move.

Lorne
I think calling people dick heads on the internet really shows the size of your manhood.....

lorneparker1
09-16-2014, 08:58 PM
I would happily call anyone that shot a roost a dickhead to their face, would that be sufficient?

mountainman
09-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Sure..... I'm sure it wouldn't change my personal thoughts on you and the type of man you appear to be..

lorneparker1
09-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Sure..... I'm sure it wouldn't change my personal thoughts on you and the type of man you appear to be..

Well now my day is ruined.

mountainman
09-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Well now my day is ruined.
Sorry I hurt your feeling.....