PDA

View Full Version : Great duck opener Kamloops

Steelpulse
09-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Awesome duck hunt this am with myself and 3 others, in position for 30 min prior to legal light and waiting for them to start pouring in, and right on que they came in, we took 17 ducks, 5 greenwing teal, 5 blue wing teal and 7 mallards, after that headed down the road for grouse and rabbits and all other things open, got 7 grouse and 3 rabbits. Back out in the morning to see if we can't up those number for ducks tomorrow

pictures tomorrow

B-rad
09-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Wooooohoooo,,,,,,,that's awesome steelpulse,,,,,I had good opener also here in kamloops,,,,,,6 mallards and 1 green wing teal,,,,,,1 short of limit this morning,,,,,,,went out for evening hunt after taking ducks home,,,,,,,4 blue grouse and 2 ruffies,,,,,,seen 2 doe and 1 spiker,,,,,,and nice lookin black bear,,,,oh and 2 coyotes I tried to get bead on,,,,but quite Wiley,,,,,,headin out tomarrow mornin again,,,,,,headin to my whitetail spot to see if I can get a nice little buck

Steelpulse
09-10-2014, 11:03 PM
We focused on waterfowl in am and upland all day, however ready for any deer, next couple days ducks and upland, snipe, and start the hunt for some 4pts,

Are you decoying or jump shooting, we jump shhot today, decoys tomorrow

biggyun68
09-11-2014, 07:01 AM
You Kamloops folks have it lucky - great diversity
Congrats to you both on a great opener

B-rad
09-11-2014, 10:58 AM
I dropped 12 mallard and 6 shoveller decoys,,,,,,and was positioned for pass shooting on geese,,,,,a little early yet for geese though,,,,,was huntin the river,,,,,,,anyways,,,,,,just got back from huntin eileen lake(mcgilvery fsr),,,,,seen 1 cow moose,,,,,4 black bear,,,,,only 1 doe,,,,,and got my limit of 5 ruffed grouse in 45 min,,,,,,,,tomarrow morning is duck and goose huntin,,,,woooohooo,,,,so stoked,,,,,,love the moving targets of the game birds

B-rad
09-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Snipe???steelpulse???where u gettin those???i been lookin for them,,,,,never shot one before,,,,,seen them down in Montana but never here,,,,good for u though,,,,,I been tryin to get hold of CO to see if I can hunt these European collard doves,,,,,they make huge racket,,,,,wooooo,,,,,wooooo,,,,,lol,,,,,,

lorneparker1
09-11-2014, 12:48 PM
I would love to see a picture of the blue wings.

Nice work

russm86
09-11-2014, 12:54 PM
I didn't know anyone around here (Kamloops) really hunted waterfowl. I'd love to try it but no idea where to go or what to do, lol.

Steelpulse
09-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Yep tons of snipe around, every marsh they are there, will shoot some tomorrow and post some pics of their habitat,
you are right there are very few duck hunters in the loops, just leaves more ducks for us

We also took 13 more ducks. This am, bluewing, greenwings and mallards, had to break through ice to get out into the marsh

Firstblood
09-11-2014, 09:10 PM
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/firstblood69/IMG_20140910_081324_zpse849dd2e.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/firstblood69/media/IMG_20140910_081324_zpse849dd2e.jpg.html)

Darksith
09-11-2014, 09:21 PM
I got one...and my first ever mallard today. Pretty stolked myself even though it don't compare to you boys.

Big question though, what do you do with the after you shoot em? I plucked my duck, what a pain in the ass though! Do you drop em in boiling water to remove the feathers or something?

lorneparker1
09-11-2014, 09:40 PM
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/firstblood69/IMG_20140910_081324_zpse849dd2e.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/firstblood69/media/IMG_20140910_081324_zpse849dd2e.jpg.html)

Wicked man, I have never seen a blue wing on the island! Got any closer pics?

Lorne

Steelpulse
09-12-2014, 02:32 AM
We will shoot some more Sunday after we let the marsh rest a few days, and get some closer pictures, they are a beautiful bird, last year we didn't see a single blue, this year so many it makes for nice shooting

nano
09-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Nice to see some ducks hit the ground, well done boys!

Darksith I just Brest all my ducks and geese and then take the legs.

russm86
09-12-2014, 08:17 AM
We will shoot some more Sunday after we let the marsh rest a few days, and get some closer pictures, they are a beautiful bird, last year we didn't see a single blue, this year so many it makes for nice shooting

Do you guys have dogs? Are you hunting public land?

Steelpulse
09-12-2014, 10:30 AM
No dogs, and yes public land, it all Comes down to scouting and hard work finding when and where those ducks are gonna be

As for processing the duck, breasting is the mose popular method, but I plucked a teal and am going to roast it whole

Dannybuoy
09-12-2014, 11:34 AM
I got one...and my first ever mallard today. Pretty stolked myself even though it don't compare to you boys.

Big question though, what do you do with the after you shoot em? I plucked my duck, what a pain in the ass though! Do you drop em in boiling water to remove the feathers or something?
Not a big duck hunter but I plan on attempting to get a duck , goose or two this year . I was planning on just skinning them and removing the breast and if the legs look to have some meat on them , whack them off as well . If you want to roast one whole and pluck it .... yes dunk it in almost boiling for a couple of minutes and start plucking . I have done plenty of chicken that way .

Crazy_Farmer
09-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Great strap of ducks.

Nice to see those teals piled high.

russm86
09-12-2014, 12:53 PM
No dogs, and yes public land, it all Comes down to scouting and hard work finding when and where those ducks are gonna be

As for processing the duck, breasting is the mose popular method, but I plucked a teal and am going to roast it whole

Thanks for the tips. Do you call them? Not looking for a specific spot or anything, but do you typically look for a lake or open meadows/grasslands, or swamp/marsh? I don't think I've really seen anything more than the odd duck or 2 in a little pond here and there in the bush.

B-rad
09-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Yup I hunt public land,,,,,,no dog,,,,,,just chest waders,,,,,,and the bird huntin in kamloops is awesome,,,,,not many people hunt birds round here,,,,I always use at least 18 decoys,,,,12 mallard,,,,,6 female shoveller,,,,,I use 3" #3 Winchester for duck,,,,,,and 3" #BB for geese,,,,,,oct good month to hunt river for geese,,,,just find any narrowing of the river and anchor in the middle,,,,,,the flocks of geese fly right over,,,,can be some awesome pass shooting,,,,river is only huntable from pritchard bridge up to chase,,,,,,steelpulse has me sold on snipe now,,,,so I'm gonna go get some lol

B-rad
09-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Anyone else hunt snipe???

barklee
09-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Nice work putting them down.
We had a pretty good day on the first day out. It was outside Calgary, snowstorm, -3 and a foot of snow but we put down 4 geese, three green winged teal, 2 pintails, a gadwall and 10 mallards.
Incredible day of hunting, we sat for an extra hour and just watched the ducks pile into the field in the storm.