PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Caribou hunt

Wheelin Sportsman
09-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Greetings all!
Anybody ever gone an Alaskan caribou hunt?

I've a cousin that lives in Fairbanks and we've been yappin about me heading up for a caribou hunt. Being in a wheelchair this is kind of a 'bucket list' sort of thing for myself and was curious if anybodies done it? Any issues tag wise? Bringing meat and horns home? Taking your firearm across? He's looking in from his end,and I from mine.. but thought id look for some experience as well

deadlyshot19
09-10-2014, 05:08 PM
I have never been but that hunt is definitely on my bucket list as well. Only info I can help you with is that getting your firearms across the border isn't a big deal at all just make sure you start the process 3 months before you plan to leave to give yourself plenty of time. you just have to fill out an application 5330.3D with Homeland Security and as long as you don't have a record you should be fine. As far as the trophy, I know the skull has to be caped and cleaned well and I believe the meat has to be butchered (I may be wrong about that part). Other than that I hope it all falls into place and your able to pull it off, I look forward to hearing about it.

Wheelin Sportsman
09-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the info sir! Ive thought about maybe using one of his guns (hes got a couple in my flavor) and spending a couple days before hand shooting rounds down range. But nothing beats shooting your own!

Im hoping theres a story I can share.