PDA

View Full Version : HBC Houndsmen and Women

MFERGIE
09-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Just wondering who here on hbc hunts with hounds? What dogs do you run and how many? Whats your tree game of choice? Are you a guide outfitter or a recreational houndsmen?

I had adopted a Catahoula a while back thinking she was younger than she was and thinking she would make an awesome cat dog. After some trial and error we had "Misty" re-homed with a great family. For the past year I have been working with a young female Plott "just over a year old," and an old male Plott that was strictly a bear dog. I'll be working with both dogs this winter on bobcat, lynx and cougar and trying to continue starting this pup out right. I have the Garmin Alpha system with back roads B.C. maps and TT15 collar. Just looking to network with others that are into hounds, maybe even line up some hunts, I have some pretty good spots.

Barracuda
09-10-2014, 03:10 PM
only fools hunt with hounds

BigfishCanada
09-10-2014, 03:47 PM
only fools hunt with hounds

WTF?? Is this ligit?

john.b
09-10-2014, 05:21 PM
WTF?? Is this ligit?

I dont run hounds but i sure hope he is being sarcastic

Barracuda
09-10-2014, 05:27 PM
we have hounds :lol:

john.b
09-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Haha fair enough

BCHunterTV
09-10-2014, 06:45 PM
hunting with hounds is cheating

BlacktailStalker
09-10-2014, 09:09 PM
If you have young dogs, do yourself a favour and more importantly them a favour and line them out before you start mixing and discovering the troubles that can come with that.
If you like your spots, don't share them. If you link up with someone else, explore together and find new spots.
Happy running.

xfactor
09-10-2014, 09:22 PM
do yourself a favour and more importantly them a favour and line them out.

Pls excuse the newbie question...what do you mean by line them out?

Lucky77_
09-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Recreational, blues, cats, a couple

BlacktailStalker
09-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Pls excuse the newbie question...what do you mean by line them out?

Learn what you have, learn what they can and can't do, allow them to figure it out for themselves, gain some confidence and become somewhat independent first.
There is a multitude of reasons why. Some people won't care enough but if you want to make some damn good dogs (if they have it in them) you have more to gain by doing this than not.

MFERGIE
09-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Learn what you have, learn what they can and can't do, allow them to figure it out for themselves, gain some confidence and become somewhat independent first.
There is a multitude of reasons why. Some people won't care enough but if you want to make some damn good dogs (if they have it in them) you have more to gain by doing this than not.

I hear ya loud and clear Blacktail! Giving the pup lots of good fresh tracks to put her nose in, figure them out herself and gain confidence in her abilities without relying on other dogs to work it out for her. What are you running BTS?

Barracuda how about you, I think I remember you posting up some good looking walker dogs in the past? What ya running them good looking hounds on?

BlacktailStalker
09-10-2014, 11:20 PM
Just a bunch of mixed up walker/English mutts bred just right to do all sorts of wrong and brave enough to bay the devil himself.

MFERGIE
09-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Just a bunch of mixed up walker/English mutts bred just right to do all sorts of wrong and brave enough to bay the devil himself.

Have read lots of good stuff about walker/english dogs, sounds like you have a line of keepers! Don't know a whole lot about all the terms but is this considered a running dog X?

BlacktailStalker
09-11-2014, 08:00 PM
No they are straight big game hounds.
You're thinking of running walkers, meant for fox and coyote, which are pretty much useless for the most part.

houndogger
09-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Have read lots of good stuff about walker/english dogs, sounds like you have a line of keepers! Don't know a whole lot about all the terms but is this considered a running dog X?

Lots using running crosses on tree game I hear.

hunting2014
09-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Hunting with hounds is cheating? Buddy you don't get the commitment it takes all year long to train and run hounds. Many a mile has been hiked rounding up dogs with little to show for it! You should try it out some time.

xfactor
09-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Hunting with hounds is cheating? Buddy you don't get the commitment it takes all year long to train and run hounds. Many a mile has been hiked rounding up dogs with little to show for it! You should try it out some time.

Pretty sure his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek...

albravo2
09-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Pretty sure his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek...

yeah, i think we need a special font for sarcasm.

especially because every now and then somebody posts something ridiculous that i think must be a joke but they actually meant it.

shed-hunter1
09-24-2014, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=BCHunterTV;1538567]hunting with hounds is cheating[/

you don't have a clue what it takes to run cats with hounds

Elkaholic
09-25-2014, 06:43 AM

You do realize he was joking right? I am pretty sure he has his own hounds that he runs.

digger dogger
09-25-2014, 08:03 AM
Yes that was said tongue in cheek.
Danny gets-r-done!

shed-hunter1
09-25-2014, 06:24 PM
yeah yeah whatever

digger dogger
09-26-2014, 07:29 AM

Haha. So what does it take there, shed-hunter??
Thats all u got to say? Lets see some cats you've killed!

steveo
09-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Yah, what he said. This would even be the right thread for some cat and hound pics.

shed-hunter1
09-26-2014, 10:39 PM
rather then start a typing war im going hunting see yeah

shed-hunter1
09-26-2014, 10:42 PM
and I don't post pics you can blame noawah dog for that

Nait Hadya
10-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Just wondering who here on hbc hunts with hounds? What dogs do you run and how many? Whats your tree game of choice? Are you a guide outfitter or a recreational houndsmen?

I had adopted a Catahoula a while back thinking she was younger than she was and thinking she would make an awesome cat dog. After some trial and error we had "Misty" re-homed with a great family. For the past year I have been working with a young female Plott "just over a year old," and an old male Plott that was strictly a bear dog. I'll be working with both dogs this winter on bobcat, lynx and cougar and trying to continue starting this pup out right. I have the Garmin Alpha system with back roads B.C. maps and TT15 collar. Just looking to network with others that are into hounds, maybe even line up some hunts, I have some pretty good spots.

Recreational houndsmen here, got three walkers that occasionally chase lion........ for a day or two, sometimes a week.:-?

steveo
10-10-2014, 05:58 PM
What is a recreational houndsmen!

CatsPreb
10-10-2014, 10:02 PM
I guess I qualify! :mrgreen:

http://vid1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd476/CatPreb/VID_00000052.mp4

yamadirt 426
10-10-2014, 11:01 PM
I guess I qualify! :mrgreen:

http://vid1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd476/CatPreb/VID_00000052.mp4

You houndsman are a little nutty...... in a good way . Very cool video. thanks for sharing. I couldnt do it ......... yet. Maybe one day

xfactor
10-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Hell ya let's do it Mike!

Nait Hadya
10-12-2014, 05:19 PM
After the video ended I stepped into the fray and looked under the windfall, face to face with the lion. Then that little female on the right crawled back under there and went toe to toe with the lion, which lead to his demise. can't say I didn't warn him to get the hell out of there. they had him bayed up for quite a while, one hound,then two, then three, then all five of them. The only hound that could move him was a 45lb female.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v631/NaitHadya/cougarhunt2011786.mp4

steveo
10-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Neat video, thanks for posting.

Noor
11-01-2014, 05:14 AM
I run 2 ownies rt an 1 bt

pville
11-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Neat video, thanks for posting.
x2 thanks Nait

MFERGIE
12-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Some very cool footage guys! Watching dogs do what they do best is the ultimate reward, thanks for sharing!
Been up in the back country with the pup and she's starting to show some good progress on track as opposed to just running around acting like pups do. We were warming up a nice bobcat track on lead and she started pulling hard, let out a couple yips so I reached into my pocket for my Garmin and got ready to cut her loose....to my surprise my pocket was empty!! I did the panic attack pocket search and sure enough my GPS had flipped out somewhere along the trail.....crap! My first race had ended before it even started. Hopefully my replacement Garmin alpha gets here soon so I can get back at it...can't seem to get that bobber off my mind.

steveo
12-04-2014, 11:33 AM
At least you got the pup out and on trail. Sounds like she got a nose full of bobcat and showed promise. I think even a tiny step forward with hounds is better than one backwards. Keep at it and good luck!!