PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS 62S Reviews?? Or suggestions in leu of

Sarge789
09-10-2014, 12:35 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garmin174-GPSMAP174-62S/753228.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dgarmin174%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHea der%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=garmin174&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products#BVRRWidgetID

Anyone have any thoughts on this? The price is great... Some of the reviews are not. And the extra cost factor for larger maps is concerning.

Thanks! =D

quaint bucket
09-10-2014, 12:41 PM
garmin etrex20

i like mine a lot.

GotaGun
09-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Garmin you can add back roads maps/card.
I got the garmin oregon 450 with back roads maps
No complaints

russm86
09-10-2014, 12:46 PM
I've got this model, works great, never had any problems with it. That is a great price for that unit I paid probably double that when they first came out. You do have to invest in a proper map for them but I think that goes for all GPS units. The maps just come on a micro SD and goes in the back. The battery life is really good as long as you have the back light and screen brightness settings down, if you run it with those settings on max you will likely only get a few hours to half a day out of batteries. On lower settings I get probably the better part of a week. There are only 2 things I don't like about this model and they aren't defects or design flaws just extra bells and whistles more than anything, but one I find the screen is pretty small, can be hard to see everything at once, have to do a lot of scrolling, especially compared to some of their newer models. The second thing is the track memory, or more lack there of, waypoints and markings are fine but I also like to see my actual route /tracks, I use these more than actual marks and waypoints, but they doesn't last long on these, you might get a day out of it before it starts writing over your tracks and when you turn it off at night and go to turn it back on the next morning, your tracks will be gone.

Rob
09-10-2014, 12:46 PM
I have the 62s and love it, its all you need. I use it working in the bush and for hunting. My buddy is a forest eng. and he uses this also

Rob

Rob
09-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Thats a wicked price, I paid 350 or something for mine

Danicus
09-10-2014, 12:52 PM
I have the 62s and I really enjoy it. The most useful features for me are tracking so I can back track (if necessary), where streams/creeks might be that I would have stumbled into accidentally without the GPS, and the backroads maps pack that helps me see where other logging roads are in proximity to me.

I find the compass calibration is a little off sometimes because mine bumps around along while I'm hiking through the bush, but re-calibration is easy so it just takes a minute or so to fix. Also, if you have it running non-stop and use it often, the batteries drain after a couple days, so I use mine sparingly where possible.

I'm happy with my purchase and I'd recommend it to others.

Sarge789
09-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys! Very helpful responses.. Looks like it's sold!

albravo2
09-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Personally, I use my android smartphone GPS 90% of the time and my 'real' GPS about 10% of the time.

I have it with me anyway because it works with my delorme as a messaging device and the fact that i can download satellite maps from google earth makes it far more compelling than the small screen topo maps I have on my GPS. Since the maps are downloaded, I don't need to be connected for this system to work.

Good2bCanadian
09-10-2014, 01:53 PM
I have the 62st, with the Backroads maps.

Waay better than my Magellen explorist I had.

Downsides, the words on the buttons are wearing off and it seems to go thru batteries quickly.

Skull Hunter
09-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Very happy with mine, just remember to turn it off when not in use or your batteries will die pretty quickly.

Iltasyuko
09-10-2014, 05:16 PM
I have the 62S also - nice unit and that price is a lot lower than what I paid.

srupp
09-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Hmmm one is in my future also...

Srupp

Lastcar
09-10-2014, 07:27 PM
I have that one as well...well technically the 62STC. Certainly do not need nor really want their maps, which is what the T stands for. Have to be honest the camera is kinda hokey so far as well. Although I do take pics at some waypoints to help me remember why I marked that spot. If I find spots I think hold promise, or great glassing spots I'll bink a few pics to remember the view later.

But the core GPS, its great. The user interface compared to the elegance of an iPhone for both simplicity & clarity feels like it was invented by Czech military engineers for the Skoda pavilion at the 1982 World's Fair.

But at the end of the day once you get the hang of it, it does what it should and well.

Edit: Should add one of the cool things I realized this week but have yet to test is that I should be able to use this to view pics off the cards in my trail cameras. Means pulling the backroads card and putting them in each time. But to give them a quick whirl through in the field is likely worth it if staying in the field for the day or extended period. To be tested...

Andrewh
09-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Paid $199 from gpscentral.ca up in Canada about 3 months ago... great unit.

skibum
09-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Check out gpscentral.ca first. They might have some maps combos on sale with the unit for almost the same price.

Sarge789
09-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Checked GPSCentral.. Good site but didn't see any deals. What did people pay for maps? Also, do you need to buy backwoods maps?

srupp
09-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Hmmm backroads maps ? Yes.
Srupp

Skull Hunter
09-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Just put the backroads map book onto my gps62. Let me tell you, it is waaay better than the garmin topo Canada maps!

mikeboehm
09-14-2014, 09:33 AM
I have it as well and its awesome. Only problem i had was it would load up when turning it on. It needed updating and haven't had a problem since. Battery life is good if u use lithium

Mathil
09-14-2014, 10:12 AM
I have the 62S.

It's good. One thing to remember about screen size is that the larger touchscreens can't be used with most gloves or mitts.

If someone made a larger screen one with all the operation buttons on the side, I'd be sold.

I bought the backroads mapbooks card and slid it right in. Works like a charm.

I even had it drop in a creek and sit there for half an hour with no ill effects.

Iltasyuko
09-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Can the after market maps be deactivated without removing the card, if you ever want to view just the plain jane screen ?

fun2ride0
10-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Garmin 62S is a very good unit for the current sale price at gpscity.ca. $254 is a steal.

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-gpsmap-62s-with-4gb-micro-sd-card.html

I use it with backroad maps for hunting, fishing and geocaching. It does everything i need it to do.

Singleshotneeded
10-09-2014, 03:18 PM
I have the 60csx, the model prior to the 62, and it's been great...for when I use it on my quad I wouldn't mind a larger screen though. If you plan on using it mainly on an atv, I'd probably get the Oregon 450. Don't get the new 600, it's got the same touch screen technology as an iPhone, and is useless with gloves or in the rain. That being said, between the physical BC mapbook and the maps in my 60csx, I've never been "misplaced" for long! :-)

Stresd
10-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Have the older model 60csx as well. Never let me down over the years. Haven't upgraded to the 62s model yet as it does very little if anything more than the older model. Run Backroads on one card and Ibycus on another. Both map sets have their good points in different situations.

Good2bCanadian
10-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Well Magellan gets my one finger salute, because my perfectly good GPS I had they stopped updating to work with windows xp etc.

Then my wife bought me the Garmin 62s. Much better than that piece of crap Magellan Explorist I had wich now sits in my junk drawer.

fun2ride0
10-09-2014, 07:07 PM
I had the 60cx until I left it in the bush somewhere and couldn't find it. I upgraded to the 62s and haven't looked back. I really like the feel and functionality of real buttons as opposed to touch screen. Touchscreen is nice in warm summer weather, but as soon as it gets chilly and glove season comes, the buttons on the gps become priceless. The 62s connects to the satellites very quickly and is in general very accurate. I ditched the carabiner attachment for a velcro-lanyard setup that straps onto the shoulder strap of my pack. The velcro makes it a snap to put the gps back on the pack strap without having to fumble with the caribiner. The Oregon 650 does have a very nice big touch screen but for the $$$ the 62s is a better setup for me.

selvir
10-20-2014, 06:54 PM
I had 62st its a great unit, and now i have 64st model that has GPS and GLONASS receiver with a quad helix antenna for superior reception,
even more accurate way for me to get even more lost it also comes with preloaded TOPO Canada maps plus a 1-year BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/prod70144.html) subscription.
Great Unit