PDA

View Full Version : Mayan Riviera

chris
09-10-2014, 09:28 AM
So I am being forced to go down to Mexico at the end of January for my brother in laws wedding. I plan on getting a fishing guide for a day or 2 to see what I can catch and make the trip a little more enjoyable. Has anyone been south of Cancun at the end of January beginning of February and gone fishing? If so how was it and what species were you targeting? I am going into this totally blind and have no idea what to expect. Any idea what it should cost for a day of fishing? Im looking for any info you guys have.
Thanks

ajr5406
09-10-2014, 09:36 AM
I was in Cancun this past January for work. Although I didnt end up fishing, I did some research and found that there is some great flats fishing for bonefish and permit etc. Down in Cozumel there are some guides. The alternative is to take a detour to Belize, which is probably the best place to fly fish for bonefish in the world.

A friend of mine was down the year before and said some of the guides in Cancun were really bad and others were good. He had a few epic days down there with a dozen or so bones, and some jacks etc. Belize on the other hand seems to have world class guides, so you probably cant lose.

Take an 8 weight fly rod (if your a fly fisherman)... And lots of crazy charlie flies, merkins crabs, and clouser minnows etc

deadlyshot19
09-10-2014, 12:19 PM
A lot of options down there for fishing, I've been down there quite a few times, though I've only fished a couple times down there information is in no shortage. Decide if you want to fly fish or deep sea fish and start shopping. Tonnes of guides down there. Apparently fly fishing the flats in Cozumel (island off Playa Del Carmen) is a real riot although I haven't had the chance to do that myself.

300H&H
09-10-2014, 03:03 PM
So I am being forced to go down to Mexico at the end of January for my brother in laws wedding.

OH BOO HOO
Life it sooo tough. :mrgreen:

albravo2
09-10-2014, 03:11 PM
My experience is that deep sea fishing is usually much more expensive because the boat and the fuel are comparatively much more money.

Plus, its hard to beat flyfishing clear warm ocean water.

Sasquatch
09-10-2014, 03:26 PM
I used to charter a deep sea boat when I went to Mexico, last couple times I just took a spinning rod and a hand full of buzz bombs. Packed a couple sandwiches, 6 cervesas and hired a taxi to drive me up the coast till I found some place interesting....fishing was great, no pressure and cheap as hell.

hitch
09-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Hit the marina when all or most of the boats are back in from fishing for the day. Have a look who caught what, chat up a few captains and see who you like. Don't book through some guy at a fishing adventure desk in the lobby of the hotel.

Opinionated Ol Phart
09-10-2014, 04:53 PM
I can recommend these guys completely http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g150809-d1383020-Reviews-Cozumel_Charters-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

As stated, it is a local booking agency that lines up anglers with a boat that suits their needs. relatively inexpensive too. I did not do a shared charter-- I wanted that rod all to myself when it hooked up. In a 3/4 day charter on a 28ft boat, I landed 6 or 7 dorado, one small tuna and a 75 lb Atlantic sailfish (released) I also lost one BIG wahoo and just about crapped myself when we ran parallel to a marlin 25 ft away, but he would not bite.

Cost for me solo was about $550 plus $100 tip if memory serves.. Well worth it.

--should also mention that we ran through a school of "peanut" dorado-- and all five lines hooked up-- what a Chinese Fire Drill!! And I only got one to the boat!!!! LOL

Husky7mm
09-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Went out with capton ricks late February and caught a few sail fish and some barracuda. There are better times of the year for fishing but I had a great time. The price was good too, around $500 or so for 3/4 day for the wife and I.

E.V.B.H.
09-10-2014, 08:35 PM
If it's your type of thing consider going spear fishing. It's snorkelling with a spear gun, basically underwater hunting. Leo at Spearfishing Today is a great guide and really knows his stuff, he will supply everything with instruction for about $150 for a half day per person and non fishers can just snorkel for $50 all out of a boat.

https://spearfishingtoday.com

chris
09-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Thanks for all the info. Now I have lots to think about. I mostly flyfish but assumed down there it would be gear fishing in deep water. I don't really have my heart set on any one species I just want to catch a couple fish with my wife. Maybe shallower would be best because the wife has gotten sea sick while salmon fishing in 4-5ft swells. She wants to catch a barracuda and from what I understand they are pretty common close to shore.
Thanks
Chris