PDA

View Full Version : First bow purchase ever, now i cant put it down.

sky-gunner
09-08-2014, 08:22 PM
So, a couple three weeks ago or so I was in a hunting and outdoor store. Had my daughter with me, she seen a cheapo Easton recurve and said she might be interested in archery. figured yeah why not, nothing wrong with that, so bought her this bow. Then I started to think to myself, huh, maybe id also like a bow to play with. Few hundred hard earned dollars later, I leave with a new PSE surge, and some Easton aftermath arrows, oh also a upgraded to a QAD ultra drop away sight and a bigger stabilizer. All impulsive. Haha anyway, for three weeks now, and a couple boxes of arrows later, some lost, some broken, some just straight up vanished, im able to say for sure that this is something I want to hunt with. Obviously im not chasing deer with it this year, but is there anything I can do now, that will help me with hunting later. Do the arrows fly the same, regardless of fieldpoint or broadhead? Do I need a heavy or lighter arrow if I put a broadhead on it? Can I practice with broadheads or is there such thing as practice broadheads? Also what does one use for grouse? Fieldpoint seems like it would just got straight through it, and broadheads seem like they would cut it in half?
Thanks in advance

luckofthedraw
09-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Congrats on the new bow. I'm fairly new to this myself but maybe I can shed some light.

Practice, practice, practice. Once comfortable, there isnt really a reason you cant hunt deer that are within your range this season. My fieldpoints fly about 2 inches higher then my broadheads, which is fine by me as long as I am grouping them. Arrow choice is up to you, whatever is working. Practice with the same broadheads you plan on hunting with, once bang on you can return to field points so you dont ruin your broadheads or arrows. (I've been told, once at this stage...dont touch anything). For grouse, look up a judo point. Many places sell them for under 10$.

Enjoy.

steveo
09-08-2014, 10:09 PM
I just use field points and some of my wounded arrows for grouse. Try to line the bird up so it has a back drop like a stump or dirt pile to catch your arrow. There are arrow selection charts that will suggest an arrow from your draw length and draw weight. On arrow selection I would go slightly heavier and not lighter if you are going to hunt with broadheads but what is recommended is usually accurate. If you find an arrow that will fly with target points it should fly with broadheads but I would sight your bow in for your broadheads and make any adjustments you have to when you are shooting your target heads like holding higher or lower. Some broadhead makers have practice heads but if you choose a brand that doesn't just sacrifice 3 heads for practice and you will have them forever especially once you get better. I found archery like golf, at the beginning you seem to always learn something and always improving your skill but after you get to a certain point your learning and improving slows. It probably won't take you long I think with enough practice most people get there fairly quickly. So why can't you go hunting deer with it this year? When you start hunting with your bow you will learn quickly there is a huge difference between hunting deer and killing deer but that is all in the fun of it. Good luck.

machine932
09-09-2014, 09:51 AM
I got my first bow two weeks ago, loving it as well. I live in Courtenay and we have a awesome gun club with a 30 target 3D trail witch I do every day I go out there. the targets are set up in all different scenarios one you need to kneel as well as there is a mock tree stand its grate practice. I would recommend looking for a local club with 3D trail.

My question is; should all arrows out of the same box fly the same I have a coupple that kick off not sure to witch side but i can see it. I'm using a whisker biscuit. Blazer vanes 125g tips.

Thanks

Shooter
09-09-2014, 10:18 AM
I got my first bow two weeks ago, loving it as well. I live in Courtenay and we have a awesome gun club with a 30 target 3D trail witch I do every day I go out there. the targets are set up in all different scenarios one you need to kneel as well as there is a mock tree stand its grate practice. I would recommend looking for a local club with 3D trail.

My question is; should all arrows out of the same box fly the same I have a coupple that kick off not sure to witch side but i can see it. I'm using a whisker biscuit. Blazer vanes 125g tips.

Thanks

number your arrows and see if they are the same arrows all the time. There is really a lot more than buying a bow and some arrows if you really want to become proficient. You need to match your arrow spine to your set up. Every change made to your set-up can and will affect this. If you pump up your poundage you could make your arrow spine to weak. If you cut your arrows down shorter then you could have to stiff of a spine now. If you have heavier or lighter points then you also affect your spine. You also need to properly tune your bow to get good consistent arrow flight. This is extremely important to getting good broadhead flight that will match field point flight. This means setting your center shot properly as well as your nocking point, both extremely important. You also want to make sure that your bow is falling within spec, after you buy a new bow and shoot it the string and cables can and will stretch changing your brace height, draw weight, draw length, and Axle to axle. The most important thing is to have fun and practice often, picking up knowledge along the way is inevitable. ArcheryTalk is a huge source of info for anyone interested in learning.

And I haven't even begun talking about how important proper and consistent form and grip is to accuracy either.

machine932
09-09-2014, 10:49 AM
number your arrows and see if they are the same arrows all the time. There is really a lot more than buying a bow and some arrows if you really want to become proficient. You need to match your arrow spine to your set up. Every change made to your set-up can and will affect this. If you pump up your poundage you could make your arrow spine to weak. If you cut your arrows down shorter then you could have to stiff of a spine now. If you have heavier or lighter points then you also affect your spine. You also need to properly tune your bow to get good consistent arrow flight. This is extremely important to getting good broadhead flight that will match field point flight. This means setting your center shot properly as well as your nocking point, both extremely important. You also want to make sure that your bow is falling within spec, after you buy a new bow and shoot it the string and cables can and will stretch changing your brace height, draw weight, draw length, and Axle to axle. The most important thing is to have fun and practice often, picking up knowledge along the way is inevitable. ArcheryTalk is a huge source of info for anyone interested in learning.

And I haven't even begun talking about how important proper and consistent form and grip is to accuracy either.

thanks Shooter, I'll number my arrows now. I was not too impressed with the local shop I bought my bow from. the guy handed it to me didn't properly set-up the draw length no help with peep height etc... it was like I didn't spend enough money for him to spend the time with me. too bad with Cabelas opening this week!

Shooter
09-09-2014, 01:53 PM
I am a member at the courtenay club also but don't get down there a whole lot. Here in Campbell River we have drop in indoor shooting for a small $3 fee and there are instructors there and usually some very knowledgeable people around that are always willing to help somebody new and interested get set up properly. I am there most every Monday night. It starts at 6pm and runs until 8pm. Swing in some day

machine932
09-09-2014, 10:13 PM
I am a member at the courtenay club also but don't get down there a whole lot. Here in Campbell River we have drop in indoor shooting for a small $3 fee and there are instructors there and usually some very knowledgeable people around that are always willing to help somebody new and interested get set up properly. I am there most every Monday night. It starts at 6pm and runs until 8pm. Swing in some day

I will be there 2 Mondays from now, I hope you are there Shooter

sky-gunner
09-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Greatly appreciated.

J_T
09-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Not sure where you are located. Some good info here. If you want to hunt with your bow, respect that a bow kill is different than a rifle kill. Find out if at some point in the next year there is an IBEP course being offered in your area. I know rifle hunters who have transitioned to the bow and find the IBEP very informative. Learn lots of new skills, specific to bowhunting.

Enjoy the quiet..