PDA

View Full Version : So, what would you do?

harbinger
09-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Hiked into an area I've been eyeballing for five or so years. Went in during Nov a couple three seasons ago and there was a ton of blow down. Left it until last weekend and my brother in law and I went in to get the lay of the land again.
We were having a great walk thru some great stuff when we came across someones salt lick trail cam set up. So I took the camera and now I feel bad. What should I do?
Just kidding, We did find two camera salt lick set ups though. So now I know someone else is in a great spot all set up. I'm hoping to figure out whose cameras they are so we can figure it out. I was going to hunt this spot exclusively locally this november. Part of me wants to totally back off and help whoever it is nail a big one…what to do what to do.
I'm curious what my fellow sportsman have to say on the subject. No shit storms please.

huntermike
09-08-2014, 10:06 AM
Leave them a note on the camera with your contact info so you can work the area together or at separate times (maybe make a new hunting partner) .

09-08-2014, 10:06 AM
Hunt the area.... its not theirs.... ya it sort of sounds harsh. No i wouldnt camp out on the salt licks but hell ya id hunt it...

there is a spot down here i found, someone had cut trail up an old road into a great cutblock.... there is a huge tank trap ditch to stop vehicles.... should i not hunt thtere because a guy opened up the road to hike it easier...
i hunt it. i get there first... if he is there i leave ... i met the guy .. he left me and dad alone to hunt it, we beat him... he flagged us down on another road later in the day to ask how we did.

Fisher-Dude
09-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Go hunting. That's what I'd do.

Found a gut pile from a junior hunter a few hundred yards from where a nice 3 point buck has been lounging in front of my game cam and salt this weekend. There will be another buck showing up, if that was him that got taken.

I'm not too concerned that someone else is hunting the area...lots of country and lots of days in the season for me to make the most of it.

Mikey Rafiki
09-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Leave them a note on the camera with your contact info so you can work the area together or at separate times (maybe make a new hunting partner) .

This sounds like good idea, especially if he sees your tracks and is wondering if you are a good guy or not. It would give me peace of mind even though I would be happier if nobody was in the area. I know someone who had a camera stolen last week, it was chain locked in addition to a steel case bolted to a tree.

Bugle M In
09-08-2014, 11:14 AM
go hunt!, there are no claim stakes in the public arena in my opinion!
I continuously run into guys, just because I was there first doesn't make them stop, or , visa versa, doesn't make me stop!.
go have fun!

Rob Chipman
09-08-2014, 11:14 AM
If I found a note on my trail cams from someone else on HBC saying they wanted to compare notes I'd be happy. The fact that they're hunting my secret spot is out of my control. The fact that they want to share some knowledge with me is a good thing. Me and some buddies hike into a specific place and we pre-stock it with some gear. I'm sure that some other people go there as well. If I'm leaving stuff there I know someone might wander in and use it, and I don't care as long as they don't steal it, wreck it or remove it. But if I think I know the guy who's using it, and I know he's a good guy, I'm even a bit happier.

I had one guy on the forum ask me if we were hunting that place based on him thinking he recognized the landscape in a pic I posted. He told me some stuff about the area that I was unaware of. He knew about the area before I knew about him and before he knew about me. Now, if I get to the camp and suspect someone else has been there (say there's some firewood left over and tarped under a tree or something) I'll think "I wonder if it was him", and if he hits the camp he'll probably think the same thing.

I can't begrudge him a moose if he gets lucky and I don't. He was already going there. But...now we both know we hunt that area and can compare notes about wolves or grizzlies or whatever.

If he told me he had a trail cam somewhere else I say "Let's swap pics) and if I got to know him a bit I'd contact him before going up and ask if he wanted me to check his batteries or download his card, and vice versa.

Darksith
09-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Not sure what the concern is here...don't touch his stuff and hunt the area. I wouldn't be too concerned about contacting him...its a free country, and we are all allowed to go to these spots. He might have a 1 up on you due to the cams, but who cares. I generally hunt where I know there will be someone else at any given time...its called hunting, not shopping.

BlacktailStalker
09-08-2014, 12:16 PM
I always walk behind cams when I come across them and keep going.
I'd keep to myself unless I bumped into him (them)
Just remember bucks wander, I wouldn't be afraid to still hunt through that area but would likely hunt the next ridge or whatever instead if it is similar country.
I'd be more worried about finding my own area to pound than 'interfering' on someone else's spot. Seeing people ruins it for me, no matter what is lurking around.
Whatever shows on his cam is coming from somewhere and going somewhere, not just residing there.
Someone (him) in there the same day you are out could work to your advantage if they are pushed around.
If its a 'great' spot, follow a main game trail in each direction, see where they take you, the grass is often greener at the end or a better intersection of travel routes to focus on.
You've found a remote spot but you still need to learn it, he could have no idea what he is doing and simply just hung cams. He doesn't have a one up on ya knowing what animals are passing through because a picture is a long cry from a successful hunt.
Salt licks are great during antler growth periods but we dont get to hunt them then. Where they came from and where they are going is way more important when it comes to killing them. So go kill a hammer buck and walk by the cam with it boned out on your pack. lol

deadlyshot19
09-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Hunt it the area but don't camp his lick. If they have the patience to hunt by setting up an area like that he/she is probably a reasonable person and will realize it's fair game.

Seeker
09-08-2014, 12:31 PM
I know plenty of guys that have better than 10 camera's out. If all hunters were thinking of backing out of areas where they have seen camera's, there would only be a few guys hunting! Respect his property hunt the area and eventually you may bump into another like minded outdoorsman willing to share some adventures. This may come with age, but I have learned that it's more important to enjoy hunting than to compete with others to get an animal. It distracts from why we are really out there. Good Luck!

Gateholio
09-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Trail cams don't = .land claim. Hunt away. Keep out of each other's way.

digginsweatinswearin
09-08-2014, 12:45 PM
You weren't up near Birkenhead were you??:)

Ron.C
09-08-2014, 01:06 PM
I'd move on. No, the owner of the cam doesn't own the spot but the last thing I want is to have my hunt screwed up because I am rubbing elbows with another hunter.

russm
09-08-2014, 01:10 PM
I know plenty of guys that have better than 10 camera's out. If all hunters were thinking of backing out of areas where they have seen camera's, there would only be a few guys hunting! Respect his property hunt the area and eventually you may bump into another like minded outdoorsman willing to share some adventures. This may come with age, but I have learned that it's more important to enjoy hunting than to compete with others to get an animal. It distracts from why we are really out there. Good Luck!

Its not "his property", if it was on private land then yea leave it alone, for all you know he could have the cam out all season and not hunt the spot once, if I was you if hunt away.

Barracuda
09-08-2014, 01:55 PM
hunt the spot
shoot a booner
bring said Booner back to game cam and have it take your photo with Booner so he can share in the memories also :mrgreen:

Sofa King
09-08-2014, 02:22 PM

this is what I would do.
I'm sure they'd be very appreciative to learn that someone had found their cams and left them alone.
they'd know right from that that you are good folk.

did you at least have a peak at the booners his cameras caught?

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
09-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Hunt the spot . leave there stuff alone , remember . its not where . .but when . .

M.Dean
09-08-2014, 03:52 PM
What I've done in the past when I find a trail cam set up in a spot I want all for myself is this, get a few friends and in full view of the camera's make it look like your doing some type of devil worshiping and do a mock "Human Sacrifice" so the guy that own's the camera get's a real good view of the "Blood Letting"!!! After you've killed the Human, you can dance around a big bon fire naked well into the night, screaming and yelling and making up wild chant's too, don't cover your selves in Bear dung, it's dam near impossible to get rid of that smell!!! Anyways, take lots of pictures when you do this and post them on this site,and good luck in the up and coming season!!!

Good2bCanadian
09-08-2014, 04:21 PM
I'd throw up a peace sign and thumbs up.

harbinger
09-09-2014, 07:47 AM
I hung him a big moon with full Cheek spread red eye view.

sawmill
09-09-2014, 11:03 AM
I'd throw up a peace sign and thumbs up.

Best idea yet.And keep moving.

deadlyshot19
09-09-2014, 11:12 AM
hunt the spot
shoot a booner
bring said Booner back to game cam and have it take your photo with Booner so he can share in the memories also :mrgreen:

That is an excellent idea!

aggiehunter
09-11-2014, 09:05 PM
yup...figured that one out already....back out and go somewhere else....don't be a dbag

Drillbit
09-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Trail cams should be banned.

Hunt the area however you want. Use the salt lick to your advantage as best you can.

Chopper
09-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Trail cams should be banned.

Hunt the area however you want. Use the salt lick to your advantage as best you can.

off topic but ... I agree , next drones will be legal to hunt with

OutWest
09-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Trail cams don't give anyone exclusive rights to an area. Be respectful, leave his gear alone and hunt away. You invested time and energy getting in there yourself, why shouldn't you hunt it?

REMINGTON JIM
09-12-2014, 07:05 PM

Now there is RESPECT ! i like you ! :-D RJ

HarryToolips
09-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Put on a sasquatch suit and go by the cam walk as ape like as possible....

180grainer
09-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Huntermike makes a good suggestion although you're under no obligation. They don't own the lick and you found it just like they did. Crown land. Do what you're comfortable with.

hunter1947
09-13-2014, 04:53 AM
If me I would hunt the area lots of surrounding area to hunt there when you do hunt there the chances are that the person that has the trail cams out there he or she might not be in the area when you are out there hunting.