PDA

View Full Version : Simmons 6mp whitetail trail cam

Westcoast 75
09-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Hey guys, so I purchased a couple of these trail cams based on another thread on this site. Thanks for the heads up! Total to my door was $183 and change I believe. And I will be sending in the mail in rebate for $30/ camera. They both came with a folding promos saw as well which was a bonus

Now I have to go pick up a couple sd cards, and was wondering what others are using as far as capacity goes? 32 mb? Or is that overkill?

Sorry first cameras, so I don't know what to grab... I imagine price difference will vary between memory sizes.

Wood butcher
09-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Depends on your camera settings and how often you check them. If you check weekly and are taking pictures not video you could get away with a small card size Like a 4. If your camera see's lots of game and its set on video and left for long durations I'd get a 32

.300WSMImpact!
09-07-2014, 11:34 AM
I only need bigger than an 8 if I am putting video option on, I have 1's 2's mostly and I get 1500 pictures on them

Fred1
09-07-2014, 11:39 AM
I just got 157 pictures of a bird's tail and a few does pics in two weeks... An 8G would be lots!!

Fred1
09-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Oh and those cams appear to be bird shit proof!

danfloris
09-07-2014, 11:55 AM
32 would be around $59 get a 4 or 8 and you will
be just fine. At
the highest setting with a bushnell scout I think I get 2000 or more pics on a 8g card for less then $20

Rev.
09-07-2014, 12:40 PM
I just got the simmons prohunter 7mp 2pack from costco. I picked up two 4gb SD cards for each camera, that way you can just switch them out when you go to check them instead of having to bring the camera home. I also grabbed some energizer lithium batteries and a couple python locks.

Westcoast 75
09-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Right on guys, 8 it is!! Appreciate all the feedback!

Sitkaspruce
09-07-2014, 07:13 PM
I run 4 g for my Spypoints and Simmons and get lots of picts. Walmart $7. I run 16 g on my Bushnells/Brownings for video. Make sure you run class 10 if you want video.

Cheers

SS

BiG Boar
09-07-2014, 07:19 PM
Costco has the 32 GB cards for $25. Batteries are cheapest there too.

Where does the mail in rebate come from. I just bought two of the 7mp Simmons and there wasn't a mail in rebate inside the package I saw.

Westcoast 75
09-07-2014, 08:42 PM
I'll try to dig it up big boar.. It had to be downloaded and printed off, then sent in..

Westcoast 75
09-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Here ya go.....

http://www.cabelas.ca/Content/filemanager/Rebates/Simmons%20$30.00%20Tag%20Event%20Coupon%20-%20English.pdf

Westcoast 75
09-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Let's try it this way, if you scroll to bottom of page there is a link for English and French rebate forms..

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/47012/simmons-6mp-whitetail-trail-camera

Mishka
09-08-2014, 04:54 PM
I just got the simmons prohunter 7mp 2pack from costco. I picked up two 4gb SD cards for each camera, that way you can just switch them out when you go to check them instead of having to bring the camera home. I also grabbed some energizer lithium batteries and a couple python locks.

Did you get the trail cams in store or order them online? I had an order placed for two Simmons 6mp Whitetail with Cabelas.ca and I just got an email saying it's been discontinued and they can't get anymore. Are those Prohunter's any good?

Lastcar
09-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Mishka,

The same thing happened to me too. I had 4 in my cart but didn't pull the trigger and 3 days later when I decided to do it they were no longer available.

I ended up with the Spypoint G4 from Gander Mountain. Very well thought of by 100's of reviews and other comments around the web. All said and done by the time I get them home from Blaine they'll be in around $75 CDN.

Things got a little weird though, as there was some kerfuffle around whether they can be exported. Gander wanted me to acknowledge they were not providing any paperwork regarding export. I did some research on the subject and all seems well at this point. But I am going to do a bit more digging before I decide on whether they make it to Canada or go back. Coming into Blaine and I'll pick them up. Free shipping both ways. So no skin off my back. I didn't want to cancel the order while I did more research as I would have lost the extra $50 off I got on an order over $250.

I am going to call CBP and get another opinion. Problem is it sounds like its a bit open to interpretation. If they are doing an export check and what they feel the purpose of the item is. For example I read about guys having a 3x9 scope and being fine, but the CSP officer told them it was a fancy night vision laser scope with significant magnification then they'd be keeping it. But a simple hunting item that is obviously going to be used for hunting and they are likely to not get their knickers in a knot.

I aim to be pretty darn respectful of the border and its laws both ways. So by no means will I risk it if I get word that its a no go. At the end of the day, I really like what I've read about the cams. Nothing in Canada compares at that price point. So sure its about the money, but really its about the value much more so. Getting comparable cams at half what others cost, who wouldn't?

Be different if a guy could wander down to a local shop and pick them up and know the owners would have your back. But seems to be most trail cams come from the big box outlets in Canada anyways.

Wish I would have caught these Simmons before they were snapped up.

I wonder how many guys come back across the border with scopes, trail cams, and the myriad of other things you don't realize are on the list for ITAR. Cause the list of things that technically fall under it is pretty broad.

Mishka
09-08-2014, 06:13 PM
That's plain ridiculous that trail cams are on the list. Hope it goes well for you. I agree, there comes a point where savings wins out. - I just ordered wheel bearing hubs for the truck from rock auto and saved about $400 easily...

Jagermeister
09-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Costco has the 32 GB cards for $25. Batteries are cheapest there too.

Where does the mail in rebate come from. I just bought two of the 7mp Simmons and there wasn't a mail in rebate inside the package I saw.
Here you go.
http://www.simmonsoptics.com/downloads/Rebates/Simmons-30Tag-coupon-english.pdf
You need the barcode from the package. There may be two.

Rev.
09-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Did you get the trail cams in store or order them online? I had an order placed for two Simmons 6mp Whitetail with Cabelas.ca and I just got an email saying it's been discontinued and they can't get anymore. Are those Prohunter's any good?

I ordered online, it is free shipping also. I received them within 5 business days. From what I have heard from others they are hard to beat for the money, I havent had them out yet but have tested them around the house and seem to take decent pics. Sitkaspruce uses them and he seems to like them, they are small, durable and have great battery life.

You can also go to the simmons optic website to print off a copy of the $30 rebate form.

Mishka
09-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks Rev. I think I'll go ahead and order them. With the rebate, it's a pretty good deal I think.

Lastcar
09-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Did it come with two bar codes? As in could you send in two rebates? This may have to be my plan B if my Gander Mtn order doesn't work out. Or heck...as with most things hunting...can you really have too many? ;-)

Edit: See you mention the rebate...sounds like you were only able to use it for the two as they share a bar code?

Rev.
09-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Did it come with two bar codes? As in could you send in two rebates? This may have to be my plan B if my Gander Mtn order doesn't work out. Or heck...as with most things hunting...can you really have too many? ;-)

Edit: See you mention the rebate...sounds like you were only able to use it for the two as they share a bar code?

They come in separate packages, each with their own bar code. However, the Costco receipt shows as an order for one 2pack. I haven't received my rebate yet but i did send in both bar codes with my 1 receipt and rebate card. I am not holding my breath for $60 worth of rebates but you never know, I will let you know what happens. Either way, its a great price for the two cameras even with just a $30 rebate.

Jagermeister
09-19-2014, 10:09 PM
$30 rebate arrived in the mail yesterday. Took about 6 weeks.

Murder
09-20-2014, 01:39 AM
They come in separate packages, each with their own bar code. However, the Costco receipt shows as an order for one 2pack. I haven't received my rebate yet but i did send in both bar codes with my 1 receipt and rebate card. I am not holding my breath for $60 worth of rebates but you never know, I will let you know what happens. Either way, its a great price for the two cameras even with just a $30 rebate.

I got 2 $30 rebates in the mail yesterday

Rev.
09-20-2014, 08:28 AM
I got 2 $30 rebates in the mail yesterday

Thats awesome! If that's the case then The cams would come out to be $70 a piece tax included.

Murder
09-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Thats awesome! If that's the case then The cams would come out to be $70 a piece tax included.

My only regret was not buying more

Jagermeister
09-20-2014, 06:12 PM
My only regret was not buying moreMe 2. and yes, about 70 bucks after rebate.
Oddly, but not suprising, the cheque was from Bushnell.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-20-2014, 07:03 PM
I Run 8 gb cards in my tcams. There are thieves out there. London drugs had good 32 gig lexor platinum cardsOn for a screaming deal last week but sales may be over. I run those in my regular cam/vid cam

IronNoggin
09-21-2014, 04:25 PM
Took the plunge based on Sitka's advise, and received two of the 7MP Prohunter's while I was off chasing moose in the Blast Furnace. Re-read this thread, and happy I did! Will be firing off the rebate info tomorrow! :-D

Time to get them out there now!!

Cheers,
Nog

the force
11-18-2014, 11:31 PM
Dang, the rebate ended oct 31/14...I'm a little slow on the draw. Costco still has the 2 pack for $180 though not as smoking. Any further reviews on these or other deals out there?