PDA

View Full Version : ATRS Modern Hunting Rifle

Westcoast 75
09-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anybody has checked out this thread on CGN about ATRS' new modern hunting rifle? Based off the Ar-10 platform but non restricted, with a plethora of different build options. i.e. carbon fibre wrapped barrels, handguards etc.

Not sure what every one else's opinions are hunting with black rifles, but I personally think the thing looks kickass! A little out of my price range right now, but will be sure to get one!:D

Thoughts??
http://albertatacticalrifle.com/hikashop-menu-for-categories-listing/product/7040-modern-hunter/category_pathway-14

Drillbit
09-06-2014, 10:29 PM
I don't care what rifles look like, as long as they do their job. I do like to take advantage of the best technology on the market as well, guns included.

I do prefer semi-auto's because of all the benefits that go along with them, but after using both pistol and non-pistol grip, I prefer a conventional stock on a rifle.

Pistol grips in scabbards suck.

Gateholio
09-06-2014, 10:41 PM
I guess it depends on iof they can do something better than a traditional hunting rifle. I've been looking at the Keltec RFB for awhile as it is very short and handy in thick woods. But it's also heavy and won't work as a walking stick very well....So I guess I'll jsut wait and see. :)

Westcoast 75
09-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Good point on the pistol grip in the scabbard, didn't think of that!!

Its looking like this rifle could be fairly light if optioned right, and priced competitively with other rifles in same class as well..

Sofa King
09-06-2014, 11:27 PM
a little early to be pricing a gun that is still just a drawing.
it could turn out to be a real piece of shit for all we know.
I don't really see how a 6-point adjustable stock is a very handy option for a hunting rifle.
if it's going to be a hunting model, they should lose some of the military-style junk and make it a real hunting rifle.
but, they'll be wanting all the $$ from the murica war nuts buying these by the pile because they look like an assault rifle.
if they truly are a superior shooting gun, and actually better than our current hunting rifles, then there's nothing wrong with them.
but can't they make that same quality gun without it looking assault?

Chopper
09-07-2014, 12:12 AM
With ATRS reputation I highly doubt this rifle will be junk. In fact I am will to bet its going to be extremely reliable and accurate. Im waiting to see what the weight is going to be on that rig ... with a 20 inch barrel anything above 5.25lbs will be unacceptable to me. Especially for that kind of money

boxhitch
09-07-2014, 07:50 AM
"Modern Hunting Rifle " ..just a bunch of marketing hype , though it would be good for hunting Zombies.
Its the salesmen that are saying hunters need a semi auto , not supported by stats of what hunters are actually buying.

emerson
09-07-2014, 08:00 AM
It's a NR "precision" semi auto. By some of the comments here I guess the Liberals point of view on guns is widely shared..... It's a specialty gun with a specialty price. I like it but there are lots of other nice things I can't afford either.

Westcoast 75
09-07-2014, 08:36 AM
I think the 6- point adjustable stock is one option, I believe you can also get it with an A-2 fixed as well. I believe ATRS makes numerous other precision rigs for target/hunting but as Emerson stated it is a specialty rig with a specialty price, which isn't too unfairly priced for what you get.

I guess it comes down to personal preference! I appreciate everyone's thoughts though!! Keep em coming!:-D

Westcoast 75
09-07-2014, 08:48 AM
There's a thread going as well on the topic. I believe they are going to be offering it in 308 until some of they're R&D is recouped, then will be offering complete uppers in .223 etc similar to the rob arms xcr lineup. Personally, I think it is a much nicer looking rifle tho....

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1116915-The-Modern-Hunter-Rifle

Gateholio
09-07-2014, 09:00 AM
People used to hunt with AR15's in Canada before they became restricted. The AR style rifle is so light and handy I'd definitely look at one in .308 or 7-08 to hunt with if it became available and worked well. Adjustable stocks are very handy to have, too. Really depends on what type of hunting you do and if you like this type of firearm.

Drillbit
09-07-2014, 09:44 AM
My go to coyote hunting rifle is a Benelli MR1 with the comfortec rifle stock. If they had an option like that it would be nice.

I didn't read through the thread completely. Do they take AR mags? I doubt it because I think they'd be too short. Would be nice to be able to use 50beowulf mags also. Or even A1A 308 10 round mags?

Westcoast 75
09-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Yes I believe they will come with one p-mag..

howa1500
09-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Sounds fun, but if I'm laying out that kinda cash I'd rather have a Merkel helix.
I had my fill of c7's and their like in the army...

Chopper
09-07-2014, 06:35 PM
yes ... they will accept PMAGS

mike-juliet
09-08-2014, 08:51 AM
a little early to be pricing a gun that is still just a drawing.
it could turn out to be a real piece of shit for all we know.
I don't really see how a 6-point adjustable stock is a very handy option for a hunting rifle.
if it's going to be a hunting model, they should lose some of the military-style junk and make it a real hunting rifle.
but, they'll be wanting all the $$ from the murica war nuts buying these by the pile because they look like an assault rifle.
if they truly are a superior shooting gun, and actually better than our current hunting rifles, then there's nothing wrong with them.
but can't they make that same quality gun without it looking assault?

Why? All firearms technology starts at the military and trickles down to us civilians, your hunting rifle was at one time "military style junk." I guess this means my R700 is an assault rifle because it is the same platform that the US Marines & Army have been using since the 70's. I would hate to hear what kinds of things you'd say behind my back about my AR-15, all black and scary and assault rifle looking, it must kill kittens when turned loose on its own.

hoochie
09-08-2014, 08:59 AM
coyote gun

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy284/mrmabley/Mobile%20Uploads/20140405_193748_zpsrbj3hlay.jpg (http://s800.photobucket.com/user/mrmabley/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140405_193748_zpsrbj3hlay.jpg.html)