PDA

View Full Version : final location advice

chrismcd
09-06-2014, 01:30 PM
ive beeen hunched over laptops and backroad map books daily for the last 2 or 3months. with 2 diferent locations in mind.. yalakom park in region 3-32 and marble range in 3-31. scouted both for a few days each. not to much action in either but about equal amount of signs.. this was in summer, from what i understand things can drasticaly change once fall rolls around. this will be my first hunting trip and solo to boot. anyone have advice on which one i should put my resources into? im heading out tuesday to be there for opening day so any advice or your experience with either would be greatly appreciated.

Alec
09-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Hunted up the Yalacom many years ago. Both up towards the Jade mine and farther up on the East side of the valley. Found it was better east side farther up as there was less people movement up that side than on the mine road side.
Haven't been up in the last few years so don't know about logging road access, that can change things in a hurry. Usually quite good soon after the cut, but lots of access to other hunters, then in about 6 to 8 years it thickens up with new growth and you can't see anything, better to go find uncut areas near edge of recent cuts, the mulies will bed in the old stuff and feed in the new growth.

markomoose
09-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Used to hunt up behind Carol Lake years ago and saw some nice mule deer in the hills behind