PDA

View Full Version : what shot and how much?

Darksith
09-06-2014, 09:02 AM
What shot do guys use generally? My O/U shotgun only holds 2 3/4" shells, I picked #2 steel shot, but don't really know if thats ideal. How many boxes of ammo should one bring along for a duck goose hunt? 4-5 boxes seem about right?

Fella
09-06-2014, 09:21 AM
I use #4 for duck and I usually just bring a box of shells. But I'm also a terrible duck hunter so I generally only get half a dozen shots off at the most.

Moe.JKU
09-06-2014, 09:40 AM
I usually use number #2 for ducks and BB for geese. I will usually don't bring them out in boxes just stuff my jacket pockets, think its around 1/ 1/2 boxes.

BiG Boar
09-06-2014, 09:43 AM
#4 for ducks and #2 or BB for geese.

Pretty hard are to use more than 1.5 boxes per day unless you're hunting a really good spot thick with birds.

Darksith
09-06-2014, 10:04 AM
haha, ok perfect. I will probably only need half a dozen shots then lol

Steelpulse
09-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Ya usually can get away with one box however better to leave with ammo than to leave because you have none, opening day last year we had limits in 20 min and went through lots of ammo, 4 shot for early season 2 shot for later in the year or for the second shot by BB for goose, always havee 2 boxes min with you

f350ps
09-06-2014, 07:35 PM
No amount of ammo would have helped our crew this morning, me included!! We almost had to send a runner for some more! Moral of the story is, just when ya think yer a hotshot the goose god will set ya straight!! :) K

bearhunter338-06
09-06-2014, 08:24 PM
What shot do guys use generally? My O/U shotgun only holds 2 3/4" shells, I picked #2 steel shot, but don't really know if thats ideal. How many boxes of ammo should one bring along for a duck goose hunt? 4-5 boxes seem about right?

First question that comes to my mind is. If your only able to use 2 3/4" shells what if your shotgun choked for and is it suitable for steel shot?.

Darksith
09-07-2014, 09:55 AM
First question that comes to my mind is. If your only able to use 2 3/4" shells what if your shotgun choked for and is it suitable for steel shot?.

I think there is no choke, the shotgun is a Ijevsk ussr model IJ-27 E 28" barrel

adriaticum
09-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Sith, I wouldn't shoot steel through that. I have something similar from the 60s. Nice shotgun but not really designed for steel. If you damage any part of it you will have a hell of a time finding replacement parts. It basically becomes junk. I'm keeping mine for trap and upland birds.
Go over to shotgunworld.com and research your particular model and see what the general consensus is.

Darksith
09-07-2014, 12:16 PM
I thought steel was only a no no in demaskus steel or something?

Will do

field marshal
09-09-2014, 02:43 PM
No amount of ammo would have helped our crew this morning, me included!! We almost had to send a runner for some more! Moral of the story is, just when ya think yer a hotshot the goose god will set ya straight!! :) K
Ha Ha, been there done that Kelly. Actually, I did it Sat. morn. The boys shot 17 I on the other hand got 1?????? Pretty sad!!!!!!---Cheers ----Field Marshal.

Ranger95
09-09-2014, 03:34 PM
I think there is no choke, the shotgun is a Ijevsk ussr model IJ-27 E 28" barrel

very few shotguns are un-chocked, take it down to a gun shop / smith, and have it checked before running steel shot down the tubes.

depending where you are, and what you are shooting at - a box or three boxes could be enough

f350ps
09-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Ha Ha, been there done that Kelly. Actually, I did it Sat. morn. The boys shot 17 I on the other hand got 1?????? Pretty sad!!!!!!---Cheers ----Field Marshal.
I had my big chance yesterday to do something I've never done on dark geese. I had four come in point blank and I dropped two on my first shot, one on my second shot and missed the hero shot! First time I've been pissed off with a triple!! K

adriaticum
09-09-2014, 04:59 PM
I had my big chance yesterday to do something I've never done on dark geese. I had four come in point blank and I dropped two on my first shot, one on my second shot and missed the hero shot! First time I've been pissed off with a triple!! K

Some of you guys must be eating goose meat all year long

northernsculler
09-29-2014, 08:32 PM
Darksith,

Confirm with a smith that knows shotguns but I think you have a full/modifed choked gun. Steel in Full Choked guns is a no no and you want to seek pro advice before pushing steel thru the modified tube. Aside from the choke (muzzle end) shotguns have what is called a forcing cone in front of the chamber. This is equally important and generally needs to be 'opened' up a bit.

If it was mine I'd have the forcing cones done and ream both tubes to a modified choke. The 2 3/4 inch chamber is not an issue ducks in range shot with a gun that patterns well seldom know that they got shorted a 1/4 inch. Might cost you up to 200 bucks but that is very cheap money for what is a very nice shotgun.

B-rad
09-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Get shotgun checked by gunsmith,,,,,,if ok to shoot steel,I HIGHLY recommend you buy a couple different brand names of ammo and pattern test,,,,,,some guns shoot steel through modified choke awesome,,other guns don't,,,,with my shotgun,,at 40 yards,,,,I'm able to shoot #3 for duck and #BB for geese with a full choke,,,,,with aprox. 65-75% of pellets on a 15"x15" target,,using Winchester,,,,,,I hunt with a buddy and he shoots #2 imperial through a modified choke with aprox. 70% on target,,,,,,every gun shoots different with different brand names,,,,,,,choke size,,,,,,,and bird shot size,,,,,good luck to ya,,,,,happy birding

adriaticum
09-29-2014, 09:12 PM
Kent impact Tungsten Matrix