PDA

View Full Version : tags for bears cats etc

250 sav
09-05-2014, 08:25 AM
For bears and cats I asume you don't fill out the antlered antlerless portion off the tag but can't find anywhere in the regs that confirm that. A guy at work asked me about it and I don't hunt that stuff so I never thought about until he asked. Thanks in advance for replies.

Duck Buster
09-05-2014, 08:30 AM
For Bears, Cats, Sheep, Goats, Bison you do not cut the Antlered/antlerless portion of the tag since none of these species has antlers. I discused this with a CO recently, make sure you have the proof of species and sex IAW the regs pg 20

This is right from the lattes version of the regs pg 20.

Anyone who possesses or transports the carcass or part of the carcass of the following animals must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person’s possession the following listed parts:

(1) For elk, moose, and deer:
(a) If the animal is male, either (i) that portion of the head which bears the antlers, OR (ii) both a testicle or part of the penis, AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2.
(b) If the animal is female, either(i) that portion of the head which in males normally bears antlers, OR(ii) both a portion of the udder or teats, AND the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2.

(2) For caribou:
(a) If the animal is male, a testicle or part of the penis, AND either the animal’s tail, another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2 or that portion of the head that bears the antlers.
(b) If the animal is female, a portion of the udder or teats, AND either the animal’s tail, another readily identifi-able part of the hide not less than 6 cm2 or that portion of the head that normally bears the antlers.

(3) For mountain sheep:
(a) If the animal is male, either(i) that portion of the head that bears the horns, OR(ii) a testicle or part of the penis.
(b) If the animal is female, either(i) that portion of the head that in males normally bears horns, OR(ii) a portion of the udder or teats.

(4) For mountain goat or bison:
(a) If the animal is male, either a testicle or part of the penis.
(b)If the animal is female, a portion of the udder or teats.

Hope this helps.

Colinofthewoods
09-05-2014, 12:52 PM
I guess , if you really wanted you could cut the antlerless one...

bighornbob
09-05-2014, 01:24 PM
There are instructions on the back of each tag. I think it says something like "if the animal is a deer, elk, moose, cut out the notch if the animal is antlered or antlerless" Or something along those lines.

BHB

Rhyno
09-05-2014, 02:01 PM
There are instructions on the back of each tag. I think it says something like "if the animal is a deer, elk, moose, cut out the notch if the animal is antlered or antlerless" Or something along those lines.

BHB

What he said. Had a CO make fun of a buddy for his antler less black bear :)

landphil
09-05-2014, 04:36 PM

BHB

This should be stickied. Then it could be overlooked on the forum, just like on each species license.:mrgreen:

250 sav
09-05-2014, 04:51 PM
thanks​ for the replies

walks with deer
09-05-2014, 05:58 PM
I always punched what sex it was or intent.

Buddy at work got a 2 point at tunkwa with milky tits.
I said leave head on and give biologist curtousey call.

180grainer
09-05-2014, 06:08 PM
For bears and cats I asume you don't fill out the antlered antlerless portion off the tag but can't find anywhere in the regs that confirm that. A guy at work asked me about it and I don't hunt that stuff so I never thought about until he asked. Thanks in advance for replies.

If they have antlers when you shoot them, definitely fill out that portion. Call me anal, but I'd do it to be on the safe side.