PDA

View Full Version : Early September Moose hunt advice (5-4 draw)

Junmity
09-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Well,

We got a draw for 5-4 Sept 10-30.

I know that the prefered time to take advantage of this hunt is the last half of the month but given that school is out, I thought I would take the whole family out for the first part of the hunt.

Camper and trailer is pretty much packed up and we are aming to leave on the 8th to prepare for hunting on the 10th!!!

As mentioned, the area is 5-4b lots of logging activity with re growth at many stages. Many small lakes / springs in the area (1000ft -5000ft diameter)

Access to several cutlines

Looking for adivce on the type of hunting.

I've never been to the area, just pointed in that direction by a old friend that's been hunting it for the past 20 + years (mind you, he's always put in for october)

Anyone have experience with small lakes ponds of this type? I was bringing my aluminum canoe as the kids want to get some fishing in.....

Any value in paddling around the larger lakes (by larger I mean 2-3 kms at the widest point)

Should I bother calling this early?

If I call, I have read that bull grunt is best as they may be in the mood for carving out teritory rather than lookin' for love.... any thoughts on this?

What do you think about stalking cutlines / trails with high traffic signs?

sorry for the long build up..... any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

So damn excited!!!!

hunter fisher
09-04-2014, 10:17 PM
i really hope im wrong but i thought i read that all LEH tags in 5-4 were cancelled because of FN issues?

Junmity
09-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Nope!

I've got one!!

they just delayed the results, but it's legit!!!

markomoose
09-05-2014, 02:34 AM
i really hope im wrong but i thought i read that all LEH tags in 5-4 were cancelled because of FN issues?
No hunter fisher.The gov't issued maps to the lucky winners advising them to not hunt the land claim area.I've got a bull draw for 5-05 Nov 1-15.Junmity I would try Fletcher Lake as a base camp and hunt the surrounding lakes/potholes.Yes the canoe is a great tool and you can fish.Hunt the big timber and I would keep the calling low or soft. Good Luck Buddy and post pics !Cheers Mark

Stresd
09-05-2014, 07:11 AM
If staying at Fletcher, might I suggest leaving someone in camp to guard your gear, when your away from camp.

Junmity
09-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Thanks Mark,

When hunting by canoe, would I just paddle the perimiter looking for them on the shoreline or would you suggest calling from the canoe or both?

Thanks!

hunter fisher
09-05-2014, 08:51 AM
oh good to hear!!! happy i was wrong, good luck on your hunt!

markomoose
09-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Thanks Mark,

When hunting by canoe, would I just paddle the perimiter looking for them on the shoreline or would you suggest calling from the canoe or both?

Thanks!
My strategy would be walk the paddle queitly and scoure the shoreline.I prefer walking around small lakes up to 150 yards in and catching moose bedded down.Watch the wind. Good luck and Cheers Mark!

HoundDog
09-05-2014, 11:25 AM
O man the excitement is in the air!

If you call in the evening returning to the same spot the following morning.
If possible wait till he is on the bank to shoot as working in the water is much harder.
Know the gutless method if you don't as it may come in handy depending on the situation.

Best of luck out there!

limit time
09-05-2014, 12:42 PM
My strategy would be walk the paddle queitly and scoure the shoreline.I prefer walking around small lakes up to 150 yards in and catching moose bedded down.Watch the wind. Good luck and Cheers Mark!
What time of day would you do this?

two-feet
09-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Hunt the mornings and evenings. Water is the place to be early season. Practice your moose calls. I called in a dandy bull about sept 10th last year (cow call), he came in without grunting. If the velvet is off, they are ready for some pre-rut action. I would paddle to the swampy\willowy creek mouths of the lakes and potholes and call from there, or paddle to a peninsula overlooking good habitat on both sides and call. Sit till its too dark to shoot. It is possible to get them from the canoe but you have to be very mindful of the noise, especially an aluminum boat. A good idea is blankets or mats in the bottom and pipe insulation foam on the gunnels. My favorite way to hunt. Good luck

srupp
09-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Have some suggestions..pm me with a ph number...and one time I will post info on open chat..
DO NOT STAY AT FLETCHER LAKE...
Cheers
Srupp

Jagermeister
09-05-2014, 05:53 PM
I wait with eager anticipation for a culminating report on this hunt. Should be interesting one way or the other.

Junmity
09-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Thanks all!

nothing better than coming home from a late night work to find a dozen responses!!!!

I don't know if I'm nuts, but heading out with the whole family (five of us, boy girl boy 7-11-13) in a westfalia and 350 big bear! All but the youngest have licenses....

really hope everyone enjoys as it would be an amazing annual family hunt.

Really!

thank you all for the help, means a lot!!

Squamch
09-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Kloakut lake is a nice spot. Little ways past fletcher, and much less accessible. We were there the last two weeks of October last year. Was 30+ in the shade everyday until it started raining so bad the roads were washing away. Saw a cow calf and a young cow. Ran into the guy who owns the vedan ranch towards the end, he said they'd been gathering stock for 6 weeks and only seen 4 moose.
lots of grouse though!

Junmity
09-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Speaking of grouse.....

Picked up a nice little 22 for the trip.

whats the consensus on grouse hunting is day?

Is it ok so long as I keep my distance from our hunting sites? If so how far is far enough (I got a box of sub sonics)

thanks

srupp
09-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Hmmm lots of grouse this year....some big groups encountered...
Srupp

markomoose
09-06-2014, 11:00 PM
What time of day would you do this?
I would paddle the morning hunt early before the sun & do the walk early afternoon

markomoose
09-07-2014, 12:39 AM
Yes,Kloacut is also a good spot.Just keep someone at your camp at all times!