PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to bow hunting little buddy, it's no picnic

pin_head
09-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Being my first season of bow hunting, I'm having a lot of fun learning to do things "different". With this also comes tests of patience and sportsmanship.

This morning I managed to stalk a small spike blacktail to 19yards. This alone excited me. Of course though, the little demon held steady behind a "Christmas tree" and refused to reveal his vitals. After a staring contest of probably a minute he spun ship and bounded away into the abyss. There I was, arrow knocked, heart pounding, disappointed. At the same time though, pleased that I had the will power to let him walk rather than risk maiming him.

Who knows, maybe my arrow could've made it through the branches, maybe I could've taken the head/neck shot. Too many maybes for me. Alas, I will be back to seek out him and his kin, after all it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy.

Lets hear your tales of the one you let walk. As much as it hurts, it's a good feeling to know you've done the right thing. Also a hell of a motivator to get back out there.

Cheers ,
Brad-still buckless, for now

NorBC
09-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Stalking it it within 20 yards is half the fun, and probably the best rush! I wouldn't take the shot through the brush, my bows fast, but I would not risk a arrow deflecting. You're right archery is a whole new ball game, and it is addicting.

good luck on your ventures!

HarryToolips
09-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Yup when ya don't have a clear shot, don't shoot, especially with a bow, you did the right thing..I've let lots walk due to too much in the way, most of my experiences with this has been with rifle hunting so far... my most painful one that I let 'walk' so far was a nice 4 x 4 muley buck with a real nice spread, he wouldn't give me a clear shooting lane..anyway, I went up the next morning to see if he'd be back and crashed my SUV at 100 clicks an hour while on the way up..life ain't always fair..

walks with deer
09-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Had obstruction on a 3 point muley tall and wide did not shoot.
10 mins later 40point muley too many obstructions again.
Went to work.
Next morning 3 close calls on bucks than the same 4 point from the morning before gave me a clear shot.
Buck down before I got to work.

A badly arrowed deer can be really tough to find if ever.
Besides the spike was practice you will be rewarded for waiting.

RoscoeP
09-05-2014, 08:21 AM
You did the right thing and learned a good lesson, there will be more chances, last thing you want to see is an animal running off with an arrow in a non vital spot. Good luck, Cheers Roscoe

bochunk2000
09-05-2014, 11:38 AM
I was out on my way to my spot with the bow in the truck. Sure enough I see this big 4 point black tail. Bugger was just looking at me as I got out of the truck and walked towards him. He was standing on this guys lawn and his kids were there so I had to let him go...HAhahahaha. No never happened but I have been bow hunting for over 10 years now and the ones I let go out number the ones I have taken. Most of them have made the choice for me while I waited for a better opportunity like you did but a few just never present a shot I feel safe and ethical taking. Like others have said you will be rewarded for waiting. Just getting that close is a huge sucess good for you.

Xbow
09-11-2014, 08:42 AM
http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/xbow2/media/EK000030_zps4169b464.mp4.html?o=0
This was the biggest black tail I had seen on the island all fall of 2013

I had recently got a friend of mine back into hunting and he was with me this windy afternoon in nov.
Having already harvested a buck this season I gave my friend my best spot and set up 100 yards away.

It was very windy and the rut was in full swing at this point. Not expecting a hell of a lot i just sat at the base of a tree stump watching.
Even perhaps nodded off for a bit. As i was swinging my head to the left wham there he was 20yards away! He was looking right at me. Damn Im busted.
He then put his nose in the air and started sniffing. Having hung doe in heat scent in the trees around me I was hoping he was smelling them and not me . I slowly brought my xbow to my shoulder. He then jumps takes a few steps and stops. Man he is standing behind a bush nose in the air. The only thing I had in the scope was bush. I could see his 2/3 of his frame but it was the wrong end!!!!!

Waiting for what seemed like an eternity he started to step out from the bush. All that was going threw my head is that im going to get a shot. Then he stiffens up nose back into the air and bolts off full speed.

All that goes threw your head(other than a few choice words) was maybe I should of shot. But of course you shouldn’t have.

Twenty minutes later i see my friend come walking over to me, smile on his face saying "I got one".
"The big one" I reply excitedly. "No" was his reply" but a saw it also". So he tells me his encounter.

It was so windy out he had to move from the ground blind I had left him in. The branches kept blowing in on him.
So he moved out into the clearing and set his stool against a tree stump. The next thing he knows he looks over his shoulder and the big buck was so close to him that they both jumped. The big buck running one way and himself left to check the stains in his under wear. I got a good laugh out of that.

He sat there fer a few then decided to go look where the buck ran off. It was gone. On his way back to his seat he sees a small spike sniffing around his stool. He drops low and sneaks in the last 15 yards. The little fell turned side ways and he places a great shot into its boiler room. He was happy as could be first dear in like 15 years.

What a great day in the woods!!!