PDA

View Full Version : City of Langley + Raccoons

Candychikita
09-04-2014, 09:56 AM
We have a raccoon problem. There is a large one the size of a bear cub harassing the neighbourhood in particular, a real smart bugger. He can lift the 80L garbage cans out of bungies, move off objects on lids. We've suffered through it, got a camera on the bins and a hose nearby to squirt em all, and have resorted to bringing the trash to work instead of putting it out. They live near the river and have apparently been infesting the neighbourhood for years.

I just read it's raccoon season. (MU 2-4) Ooo mama.

Please tell me more about raccoon extinction and bylaws in this area...bow or firearm...either is fine with me. My bow is set at 26 lbs just for fun, but I'll crank her up to 40 lbs if that's the only thing I'm allowed to use. I've contacted the bylaw officer in this city but so far I've got no info. The city website doesn't have anything about firearm discharge or bows immediately visible under the bylaws tab.

I'd appreciate any info anyone can shed on this :D Thank you :D

Rob Chipman
09-04-2014, 10:05 AM
This is by no means legal advice. The coffee is hot and your mileage may vary.

My old man, long since passed away, was a WWII vet and depression kid. Career infantry sergeant. You can imagine. Living in North Van in the 80s he used to pop the raccoons in the head with a .22.

When I found out I said: Dad, you can't be shooting those things here. It's an f'ing residential neighbourhood! The neighbours are going to freak out!"

He blew me off, I walked out of his house and bumped into his neighbour who said "Hey, tell your dad thanks for knocking off all those bloody raccoons. I hate those things". :-)

Wild one
09-04-2014, 10:11 AM
get a live trap and save the hassle

Twogunns
09-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Live traps will catch you skunks and rabbits, but raccoons are smarter than them. You're a big boy, deal with it!

russm
09-04-2014, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't be shooting a gun in Langley, get a live trap or put your garbage somewhere the neighbours won't see and get him with your bow, or build yourself a locking plywood box to put your cans in.

pnbrock
09-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Kill them before they come to my house!!

Wild one
09-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Live traps will catch you skunks and rabbits, but raccoons are smarter than them. You're a big boy, deal with it!

Racoons are far from too smart for a live trap just have to do it right :mrgreen:

Lots of coons loose their hide because of live traps every year

heatherdaddy
09-04-2014, 12:38 PM
I have caught 10 Raccoons so far this year with a live catch trap in my complex in Langley. Use Peanut butter and honey on top of dry cat or dog food they love it.

bc_buckshot
09-04-2014, 01:05 PM
get a live trap and save the hassle

where abouts are you i have a live trap

Bubba123
09-04-2014, 01:38 PM
I have had problems with raccoons and I solved them with a paintball marker. After a few episodes, they have not come back.

Candychikita
09-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Hmm. No projectiles per bylaws, unless I qualify as a 'bonefide farmer' in Section 4, Clause (b) of the old Wildlife Act Chapter 433 RSBC 1979 or unless I can get it in writing from the RCMP for pest control. Which I'll ask for, why not...there is a very nice backstop for archery and they are being pests.

Thank you for the lead on live traps :D

You're a big boy, deal with it! Small female actually, and yes...we'll get it dealt with. ;)

walks with deer
09-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Live trap canadian tire.

No more racoons
My neighborhood was cleaned up in a couple months with 1

ElectricDyck
09-04-2014, 08:00 PM
x2 live trap, they were popping holes in my inflatable pool. Sub sonic 22 ammo is very quiet.

weatherbyjunkie
09-04-2014, 11:11 PM
live trap then blast him with something quiet,i use my high velocity pellet gun. damn nuisance those Racoons!!! i get a few a year in langley

hunter fisher
09-06-2014, 03:52 PM
theres a racoon in my backyard too. he might be the smartest racoon alive. i tried for months to catch him, had him on the trail cam, videos of him holding the door of the trap open with his ass and reaching in for the bait. hes a genious, hes smarter than me. i bucked up and bought a heavy duty garbage can with some strong bungees to stop animals. he has since stopped getting into our garbage, but he continues to have his way with my garden. he might be half racoon half human, im not sure. just thinking about the whole thing gives me gas

.30-06 camsavbc
09-06-2014, 04:32 PM
A big fat raccoon came to my back door a few years ago. I have a small metal bear proof garbage can and this coon was scratching at it and woke me up. I opened the door and it took off right away. The next night it was back and this time I got my bear guard from my hiking stuff and I opened the door and sprayed. This coon took off as quick as the spray came out but I have not seen it since. I now keep bear spray by my back door in case the coon or other critters try to wake me up again. Nothing so far.

Big Lew
09-06-2014, 04:47 PM
It's an on going problem if someone in the neighbourhood feeds them or they've learned how to open garbage cans etc. I've also been plagued by them. I have the only water feature (a tumbling creek into a small pool) which they love to play in. Unfortunately they also like to tear things apart and leave their feces behind. Raccoon feces can be harmful, especially to dogs. I have live-trapped 9 of them so far by using raw egg, marshmallows, and peanut butter. Since switching from using catfood I've not caught anything but coons and one rat. I use an old homemade trap and I will be in Langley sometime during the next 2-3 days if you would like to borrow it...pm me.

Remmy700
09-06-2014, 07:39 PM
I would highly recommend purchasing a lil grizz trap, worked awesome around our chicken coop and there designed to only catch coons.

buck nash
09-06-2014, 08:18 PM
I chased a family of coons off my garbage a while back. I had a broom handle. One of them just stood there and hissed at me so I wacked him with the broom handle. Knocked him dead with one shot.

My wife was horrified lol.

My friend's dog just got shredded by a coon the other night. Poor little bugger is a jack russell/Chihauhua x. He's lucky that someone was able to separate them. Now my wife wants them all exterminated.

buck nash
09-06-2014, 08:30 PM
49964997This is him after returning from the vet

panhead
09-06-2014, 08:38 PM
I's been told a #330 Connibear is "bout the most fective thing."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”

Wild one
09-07-2014, 07:59 AM
330 coni is overkill and illegal to use on land in municipalities in reg 2. Depending on how close dwellings are you can only use live traps legally

Do not use any coni in a residential area it is not safe and trappers do not need a bad rep from rookies trying to deal with coons. Coni's should be left to experienced trapper who know how and where to set them properly. Kill traps need to be used with respect. As a trapper I would NEVER use a coni in an area that is high risk to pets and public.

Understand the frustration of coons causing trouble but don't give others a black eye well you deal with the problem PLEASE

Stick to large live traps wire your bait to the back and cover the bottom of the cage with grass so they don't feel the wire. I have never found a coon I could not catch in a live trap.

Hodaka
09-07-2014, 08:04 AM
We used to leave a small window open for the cats to go in and out at night. Raccoons followed them once, and started eating whatever they could find in our house (mostly cat food). It woke me up, and I went downstairs not knowing what to do about it. Seeing me was enough to scare them back out the window, but they came back.
Long story short: I started keeping a BB pistol by my bed. Next time they woke me up, one got a steel BB full in the face. Never came back. City by laws say no here, but this was inside my house...
Definitely seek permission from RCMP, that would be great to do the bow thing. Otherwise, live trap them and relocate to a city council persons neighbourhood (jks). ;)
get 'em girl!

Remmy700
09-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Wild one,

Im no expiernced trapper by any means but had great success with the lil grizz. I live in the country so I have no bylaws I have to adhear by but those masked bandits of the night sure didn't want to go in my live traps, and because we have cats/chickens the conni's were a no go. Then someone recommended the lil grizz, easy to set and species specific, what is your take on them? Would you recommend them for use inside a municipality? Are there any bylaws against them?

Thanks
Erick

Wild one
09-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Wild one,

Im no expiernced trapper by any means but had great success with the lil grizz. I live in the country so I have no bylaws I have to adhear by but those masked bandits of the night sure didn't want to go in my live traps, and because we have cats/chickens the conni's were a no go. Then someone recommended the lil grizz, easy to set and species specific, what is your take on them? Would you recommend them for use inside a municipality? Are there any bylaws against them?

Thanks
Erick

Nothing wrong with lil grizz as a safe option just never used them. They are made to be dog safe and are low risk to the public.

Kill traps are a different story

steveo
09-07-2014, 12:45 PM
If you can't discharge a firearm, a little grizz is basically useless but would agree they work good and are target specific.

Good2bCanadian
09-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Used to have coons all the time here in Langley. Once I got my dog they went elsewhere.

Edzzed
09-07-2014, 03:30 PM
A buddy had a problem with them till he bought a pellet rifle. As far as I know you can shoot them with an air gun.

Pete
09-08-2014, 03:10 PM
I would highly recommend purchasing a lil grizz trap, worked awesome around our chicken coop and there designed to only catch coons.
NO Not!!!! in the City How are you going to dispatch the Raccoon????

Pete
09-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Hire a professional trapper that has all the permits, liability insurance, experience and the right tools to do the job.

Getbent
09-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Thank you for the lead on live traps :D

Small female actually, and yes...we'll get it dealt with. ;)
Good one....

roadhunter.338
09-08-2014, 07:37 PM
The problem with Langley and racoons is this. There is a non-profit society called critter care in south Langley. They rehabilitate animals and set them free in to the "wild." Last year they rehabilitated 2000 racoons. 2000! they help all kinds of animals but, mostly racoons. Once a year they have an open house. I took my grandkid there. there were deer and owls, and an outrageous amount of racoons. They were looking for donations, apparently it costs $600,000 a year to operate this place. I wanted to tell them what I thought of them and their racoon farm, but I held it back for the sake of my grandkids.

That is where langleys raccoon problem comes from.

Also, I killed a raccoon with a broom handle at my back door. One small victory for me.

adriaticum
09-08-2014, 07:47 PM
I wonder what raccoon pelts go for.
Langley could be a source of income and something to do for some retired dude.

Pete
09-08-2014, 08:24 PM
I wonder what raccoon pelts go for.
Langley could be a source of income and something to do for some retired dude.
Raccoon prices were way down last year… $12 -$15 it takes some effort and know how just to break even.

itsy bitsy xj
09-08-2014, 08:24 PM
To the OP
What part of Langley aer you in? A buddy of mine is also having a tough time with some coons. I hve lent him my high power pellet gun and my live trap. He's down in Murryvile 216x48th. Since he picked up my gear the coons haven't been around lol

Let me know if you want to borrow a trap or pellet gun

steveo
09-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Someone should tell them they could get 15 bucks for a decent size coon, that would be half their operating costs there. Did they also inform everyone in the open house that raccoons are one of the worst carriers of disease.

GotaGun
09-08-2014, 08:35 PM
I had raccoons in the garbage cans for a bit. then i found my garbage cans(plastic) fit snug under the swim grid of my jet boat. they couldn't knock em over or get lids off anymore so they moved on :).
Cut off the food source and they will leave.

steveo
09-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Cutting off the food source will most likely make them leave but a nice warm dry place will make them hang around a bunch.

olympia
09-08-2014, 10:37 PM
This is by no means legal advice. The coffee is hot and your mileage may vary.

My old man, long since passed away, was a WWII vet and depression kid. Career infantry sergeant. You can imagine. Living in North Van in the 80s he used to pop the raccoons in the head with a .22.

When I found out I said: Dad, you can't be shooting those things here. It's an f'ing residential neighbourhood! The neighbours are going to freak out!"

He blew me off, I walked out of his house and bumped into his neighbour who said "Hey, tell your dad thanks for knocking off all those bloody raccoons. I hate those things". :-)

that's because you dad was a mans man...not too many around anymore....sorry

adriaticum
09-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Small female actually, and yes...we'll get it dealt with. ;)

Lol, not everyone can translate Candy and chikita from, like, Latin :mrgreen:

markomoose
09-09-2014, 02:52 AM
My dad used an electric fence transformer you could up the amps/voltage but felt bad after cooking a few.He made a live trap out of sheet metal and trapped them using an egg and peanut butter.He then transported them from North Van to the British Properties.He said they had higher end trash up there!

Candychikita
09-11-2014, 10:20 AM
The RCMP said no bloody way would they issue any sort of permit to an average jane, and to go talk to a Conservation Officer. Conservation Officers don't consider raccoons to be dangerous and said to call a pest control company.

I used to have my exterminator's licence a long while ago and back in those days we live trapped them - due to SPCA suing people for "inhumanities" and "cruelty", a bunch of pest control places will not deal with raccoons now...let alone live trap them and when they do (at a cost of $450/wk) they can only release within 1km of the trap site because that is what is considered "humane". The best wildlife control place around here (Triple A Wildlife Control) basically told me a bunch of deterrents I can try...but even then they will only deal with raccoon eviction if they are building a den on the property.

If live trapping has potential to be sued for, and projectiles aren't allowed (airguns are included as illegal in the bylaw) ...despite it being raccoon season by the wildlife act...short of bludgeoning a raccoon to death, what else is left?

Thanks for the info on Critter Care. I suspect they are releasing them into the "wild" just below my place...Nicklmekl flood plain...