PDA

View Full Version : Second day of the Youth Hunt and I've had to call the CO's twice

Doostien
09-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Just spent the last hour or so waiting with the CO's for the youth hunters who decided to shoot in the hayfield in front of my house and hide when I went out to find them. Unfortunately for them it wasn't hard to find their car.

If this is any indication of what lies ahead for this hunting season I don't know what I'll do. Its not like I don't let people hunt my property, I've only ever refused a handful of people, and it was mostly because of how they conducted themselves the last time they had permission.

Wish me luck guys, hunting season used to be a time I looked forward to, now I'm starting to dread it.

tinhorse
09-02-2014, 09:59 PM
It really sucks when people don't respect others property and the law. Hope the call you made sets presitence for other hunters.

Liveforthehunt
09-02-2014, 10:04 PM
The guys that ruin it for us all... I use to have permission on a few properties locally in the Okanagan and some a******* decided it was a good idea to shoot a few cows that happened on a couple different ranches go figure they didn't want anyone hunting on their property anymore :/

bc_buckshot
09-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Hope it works out for and the little *******s get it.

TPK
09-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Have you heard of BCWF's "Outdoor Passport" program? Maybe something you can look into and start with only allowing people on your property that have taken the time to complete this and can show you their card? Of course it doesn't stop poachers and trespassers .. but it is a start ...

howa1500
09-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Well that sucks! Good on you for calling the CO's, hopefully they provide an response that you are pleased with. Don't let them get you down! If you ever need help around the farm, I'm always happy to support farmers who permit hunting on their property.

Fisher-Dude
09-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Why did you bother to put "youth hunt" in your title? Trespassers have nothing to do with the youth season whatsoever.

604redneck
09-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Why did you bother to put "youth hunt" in your title? Trespassers have nothing to do with the youth season whatsoever.
It has to do with it when it's youth involved....and btw Detroit sucks! :tongue:

deadlyshot19
09-03-2014, 02:27 PM
It has to do with it when it's youth involved....and btw Detroit sucks! :tongue:

Every part of this statement was awesome.

Fisher-Dude
09-03-2014, 03:24 PM

Maybe those youth hunters were adults hunting bears that opened for GOS on Sept 1. I think the OP has a problem with the youth season from the looks of it.

BTW, Detroit has won 11 Stanley Cups. Have fun in the draft lottery with the Nocups!

Doostien
09-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Maybe those youth hunters were adults hunting bears that opened for GOS on Sept 1. I think the OP has a problem with the youth season from the looks of it.

BTW, Detroit has won 11 Stanley Cups. Have fun in the draft lottery with the Nocups!

I can't say I really have a problem with the youth season, If my kid were interested in hunting I'd love to be able to take him out without worrying about everyone else and letting him get a nice little buck. I specify "Youth Season" because both calls were for kids and their 'guardians' hunting without permission. Generally issues seem to start at the beginning of deer seasons, seems a lot less people hunt bears around here, at least I think so. My property is mostly filled with deer, I only get the odd bear or cougar, or the very rare moose. I know they were hunting under the youth season because the CO told me such. I have no issue with youth hunting, I think its a great thing.

The CO phoned today and told me they'd admitted to being in my field and shooting at a deer. He said there was a few things he could ticket them with but I left that up to him. I'd rather have the word spread that hunting isn't allowed without permission on my property and that doing it without will get you in some trouble.

Today though, I visited the neighbour and he told me that a Father and his son showed up at the door last night saying they were lost. When he asked where they came from the answer was "up that hill", which is the other piece of my property. I can't imagine these kids will grow up to be responsible hunters if there first memories are shooting a deer on someone else's property without permission.

Oh well, my cousins bringing his kid tomorrow, at least I'll be expecting shots!

Steeleco
09-04-2014, 05:03 PM
I don't get some people. We've had permission to hunt a large piece of land for 3 years now. We always check in and out with the family and NEVER leave anything but foot prints. We take the animals whole back into the woods to deal with the processing. We only take the kids, even thought I know I could hunt it myself.

It's called respect, I guess some parents didn't teach their kids any?

bigredchev
09-04-2014, 05:13 PM
I'd push to have the book thrown at them. Accountability has to start somewhere, make the first shot count and leave a lasting impression its a priveldge to hunt not a right.

yamadirt 426
09-04-2014, 08:56 PM
The kid was most likely brought there by the guardian and hasnt learned any better yet. but who knows and I dont care. But I wouldnt throw the book at them . Maybe Him.

Doostien
09-04-2014, 09:41 PM
I'd push to have the book thrown at them. Accountability has to start somewhere, make the first shot count and leave a lasting impression its a priveldge to hunt not a right.

The CO outlined the tickets and fines they could get, between the two kids and their parents it was something like 7 in total. He also said all of them would stick if he issued them. I'm not sure which he will decide to give, I left that up to him.

Funnily enough though, about twenty minutes after the CO called, the two kids showed up at my house. They were pretty apologetic, it took all I had not to scream at them but I think I got the point across. It seemed to have gone pretty well, they admitted everything and seemed genuine in their apology.

Of course though the world isn't so rosy. I looked the two kids up on Facebook, as they told me their names and both of them had pictures where they'd had their trucks parked on top of my Root Cellar.... Maybe they learned their lesson. Maybe not, guess time will tell.

BearStump
09-05-2014, 07:16 PM
That's nice to hear that there was an in person apology.
you have to give some credit for that. As a youth it would be very difficult to take responsibility for trespassing. The fact that they showed up to apologize says a lot a out their character and shows that they do know what they did was wrong and won't be tolerated.
Maybe these kids will grow up go be role model hnters with good ethics to pass on to another young hnter.