PDA

View Full Version : How to Gauge a 6pt Elk

bigbuckbuster
09-02-2014, 09:47 AM
First off, I am not a new hunter but I have a question that might make it seem that way... I have hunted deer for over 20 years and have only started hunting Elk in the last 5 or so years. My question is; with the 6pt+ season in region 8 are there any secrets to knowing a 6pt from just a glance?

I always find myself trying to count the tines through my binos as the bull walks off into the thick bush. The last thing I want to do is shoot a 5pt by accident but I'm sure I have let a 6pt walk at least once because of my uncertainty.

Thank for the help

Rackmastr
09-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Count 6 points on a side and then shoot.

There are ways to take a quick 'guess' but looking at the back point configuration, etc but the only way to be sure is to count.

monasheemountainman
09-02-2014, 09:53 AM
There are many 6 points that walk because people are doing the right thing by counting not just shooting. A good 6 point is easy to tell but it is still up to you to do your due diligence by counting. So good on ya and keep at it.

09-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Count 6 points on a side and then shoot.

There are ways to take a quick 'guess' but looking at the back point configuration, etc but the only way to be sure is to count.

I agree, if there are 2 points behind the long 4th point, it is most likely a 6, BUT there are a few elk that only have one brow tine, so that would make it a 5. The only way to be sure is to count, and avoid being part of the plaque that kills 5 point elk and leaves them rotting.

mike-juliet
09-02-2014, 09:59 AM
The only quick guess is a split behind the royal(4th tine) but again, the lack of a brow tine or an error on your part is asking to shoot a 5pt, Count to six, and then count to six again, and again before you press that shot.

Mikey Rafiki
09-02-2014, 10:22 AM
I always count the top end first, looking for the 4-5-6 starting with the royal. Then I know if it's really worth confirming all of the brow tines are there, although there is the occasional bull out there with 3 brows or a split 3rd tine.

Be extra careful with smaller framed racks that appear to have the 5-6 split, as younger bulls will often only grow single brow tines.

Fisher-Dude
09-02-2014, 01:12 PM
The quickest way is to count 6 points before pulling the trigger. There is no quicker way.

Many have ended up in BAD situations by seeing what they think is a 5 - 6 split and then finding a single brow.

The other surefire way to confirm from a side view is to count 11 points, then it's guaranteed to be legal.

Something I do for practice is to count points on every picture of elk that I see. It helps with visualization in the field. When my issue of Bugle comes in the mail, I always go through it in the "reading room" and start countin'!

bigbuckbuster
09-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys, sound advice.

eastkoot
09-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Count 6, then count 6 then count 6. You will still get over there when he's dead and touch each one to be sure...

Bugle M In
09-02-2014, 02:06 PM
I always carry a small tripod with a spotting scope, doesn't have to be expensive.
Helps even as close as 1oo yrds.
Elk hunt + 6pt restriction = Spotting scope!

Darksith
09-02-2014, 02:22 PM
thats not entirely true...I have thought the same thing as the OP. One of the quickest ways to rule out an elk from possible 6 to almost certainly not (with exceptions of course) is to look at the eye guard tines. If there are 2 on one side, there is a very good chance that bull is a 6. If there is not, there is a decent chance hes not a 6. Of course there are many exceptions to the rule, but if an elk is looking at you, its generally tough to count points, but you should be able to see the eye guards. If there are 2 odds are...

This is also coming from a guy that has never harvested an elk, but I have watched a lot of videos and come up with this from many different animals on film. Another thing I have come up with is the way you count. Do not try to count from the top down, with the elk moving around, those tines move the most. It can be very difficult. If you count from the head up you can usually hit the number 4, which only leaves the top split if its there, count 4, count 4, then you won't get confused and attempt to count everything again. The curve of the antlers usually allows you to count to 4 if they are looking at you. Always be sure of course. Most of the shooter or close to shooter bulls I have encountered haven't stuck around long enough, so I have attempted to figure out a way to count faster lol...

Darksith
09-02-2014, 02:28 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq0oBK813d4kBU3-CMQ50YHNA-M47QIV09uk4Pdr4WQevTRAIthttps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEu3kpFn1bY0mG8sd-7iD1BdLeuzsWgkqfh9HStqezok671s_9

Darksith
09-02-2014, 02:29 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAxe31NWzTs_nrf4DLK_yLtrQNaynbi 7ZLq6Hl7L_ztWkh0IZMwA

Mikey Rafiki
09-02-2014, 03:08 PM
thats not entirely true...I have thought the same thing as the OP. One of the quickest ways to rule out an elk from possible 6 to almost certainly not (with exceptions of course) is to look at the eye guard tines. If there are 2 on one side, there is a very good chance that bull is a 6. If there is not, there is a decent chance hes not a 6. Of course there are many exceptions to the rule, but if an elk is looking at you, its generally tough to count points, but you should be able to see the eye guards. If there are 2 odds are...

The last 3 bulls that we have taken in bow season were 4 and 5 pointers. All had two brow tines on both sides. Last year I found 9 elk sheds that were 4 and 5 pointers, all had both (2) brows except one.

In my experience, at least in the East Kootenay's, is that most 5 pointers have both brows and a majority of 4 pointers do as well, which is why I personally count the top end first from the royal up. If it doesn't have a prominent 4th point it's often not going to make 6.

Mikey Rafiki
09-02-2014, 03:13 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PICT0043_-_Copy.JPG
Here is what would be a standard 4 point elk, with both brows on each side, but he has a weird split on his left G3, making him a 5x4. If he had a little kicker coming off the back of his main/royal like some young bulls do he would be an unconventional 6.

Darksith
09-02-2014, 03:43 PM
I must be watching vids of freak merica deer!

09-02-2014, 04:24 PM
I always carry a small tripod with a spotting scope, doesn't have to be expensive.
Helps even as close as 1oo yrds.
Elk hunt + 6pt restriction = Spotting scope!

You're definitely not hunting elk in the West Kootenay jungle! I usually first see the bull I'm calling at less than 50 yards.

weatherbyjunkie
09-02-2014, 06:02 PM
count 6. theres no tricks. Ive heard all sorts of "tricks" over the years. I hunted one area where there was a genetic mutation where quite a few elk were missing the "3rd" the tine below the royal. so if you counted the split behind the royal and shot,you would have a nice 5 point. Dont rush,count points,it will pay off. I passed on a beauty 6 point a few years ago b/c i couldn't make the 3rd point out,it was super dark from rubbing in the burnt alders and blended in with the rack. My buddy saw the same elk the next morning at a different angle and whacked it. However..... Karma paid off and a month later I shot an even bigger elk in region 8,which,might i add,It took 40 minutes to put a 6th point on him. totally worth being patient-it scored a true 319 :-D

Fisher-Dude
09-02-2014, 06:20 PM
I was travelling north a number of years back with a new hunter to go on an elk/moose trip. He said that his cousin told him to just look for the top split on elk and it will be a 6 point. I argued that was NOT a good idea, as some elk are missing the 2nd brow or other points. We went back and forth on this a lot, and I could see he wasn't convinced.

As luck would have it, we were fueling up and a rig pulled in with a huge elk rack on the camperette that would have been a 330+ bull if it had all its "normal" points. Sure enough, it was split at the top, but only had single brows. It had a small, 1.5" non-typical kicker point after the royal that made it legal.

It was a good lesson for my newbie friend to have the myth of the "top split" dashed before we got to our hunting spot.

OutWest
09-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Single brow bull. Have pics of others. Sticker on the passenger side makes him a 6x5

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/296999_1959126030049_1945529883_n.jpg?oh=ae127096c ca72fd79c4cc0c569376d00&oe=546F73F7

Ride Red
09-02-2014, 07:12 PM
I've had them in the kootenays with the G3 missing. Doesn't matter what you are hunting, make sure you count all the points.

landphil
09-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Take a picture of the bull. Then count to tines on the photo, without the bull moving around while counting. Then be sure to shoot same bull. By counting.:-D

Bugle M In
09-02-2014, 08:24 PM
You're definitely not hunting elk in the West Kootenay jungle! I usually first see the bull I'm calling at less than 50 yards.

True, I don't hunt the WK.....YET!!
But I do understand what you are saying.
I try to break it down when counting points.....meaning,

I first try to count 4 points starting from the main beam above the ears, that way I have a good idea that the bull is potentially a 6pt.
Then I try to count both brow tines on that same beam, usually below the ears on main beam.

If elk is looking head one, I try to count the first 5, as the last tine ( 6th ) is quite often hidden behind the 4th or 5th and main beam.
Count repeatedly, counting both sides 1 thru 5, until bull turns head to count the 6th...
If he doesn't...don't shoot, and sometimes he is gone, but at least there are no implications.

But bulls break tines off, and then they don't count, so count six regardless of method.
It is just the method I use to even decide whether I hunt that bull down or start pulling out the camera.

GoatGuy
09-02-2014, 08:52 PM

repeat

repeat

zogg54
09-03-2014, 01:01 PM
"Two Behine, the tallest tine"

Sofa King
09-03-2014, 01:08 PM
one, two, three, four....fiiive..........................six-BOOM!

Seeker
09-03-2014, 01:22 PM
I agree with, count count and count again. I was in on a bull once where we used the "Two Behine, the tallest tine" counting method and just about shiat my pants when we walked up and the antler sticking up was missing the 3rd point. I'm not religous, but I was thanking the lord when we found one on the other side! Never again! Always, always, ALWAYS count them all!

gwes2003
09-03-2014, 10:47 PM
I have a few hundred pictures of elk as screen savers at work (they change every 10sec). I use this in part to help count the points, but also to daydream of my hunting trip while at work

hunter1947
09-04-2014, 04:02 AM
From my experience hunting 6 point bull season the only way to make sure it has at least 6 countable points on the one side is to look and look and look with your binoculars when you have a positive count that there are 6 point on one side then take the bull.
Don't ever shoot unless you are 100% positive the bull has 6 countable points on one side you can never go by looking what you think is the G4 the dagger then up on top where the antlers split into two more points reason being is I have seen bull elk that are missing the G2 points on both sides..

kootenayslam
09-04-2014, 08:54 AM
count to 6....repeat.....no tricks or rules just straight counting.

BRrooster
09-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Have not shot a Six Pt Elk yet ,but the way I figure,if a quick look after the forth point or the so called "dagger", shows a fork then he's worth spending the time to count all the points you can find.

Brow Bey Trey Dagger Royal SurRoyal Imperial (if I remember correctly, and pardon the spelling)

toad
09-05-2014, 10:24 PM
im so lucky....all I wait for is "456...123"... takem'..... hes good...im so spoiled...lol I Pay the price I ride 20km to camp and cook curry dinners and egg benedict breakfasts anyone else need a cook??

hunter1947
09-06-2014, 12:41 AM
im so lucky....all I wait for is "456...123"... takem'..... hes good...im so spoiled...lol I Pay the price I ride 20km to camp and cook curry dinners and egg benedict breakfasts anyone else need a cook??

So funny this gave me a good laugh this early morning LOL :lol:..

Fella
10-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Just to be clear, brow tines count on an elk right?

eastkoot
10-01-2014, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE]"Two Behine, the tallest tine" [/QUOaw
NO, what part of 123456 123456 123456 do you not understand.. Saw a BOOBOO in the back of CO`s truck yesterday!!!!

358mag
10-01-2014, 07:53 PM
The only way to judge it is to be able to count 6 points
Not like this no mind that couldn't and poached a 5 point There is no quick + easy way to judge a 6 point other than counting points, plan + simple if you cant do that don't buy a elk tag .
09-24-2014, 10:43 AM #1 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?110576-Five-Point-Bull-Elk&p=1544512#post1544512) Walksalot (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?431-Walksalot)

View Profile (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?431-Walksalot)
View Forum Posts (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/search.php?do=finduser&userid=431&contenttype=vBForum_Post&showposts=1)
Private Message (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=431)
Send Email (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=431)

http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/statusicon/user-offline.png HuntingBC Champ

Join DateJan 2005LocationThe Okanagan ValleyPosts1,381

Five Point Bull Elk
A five point bull elk appears to have been shot and left in a cut block. We have to make sure before we shoot. It is possible it could have been a predator but the location strongly suggests it was human error, 50 yds inside the cut block and not very far from the landing. The CO.s have been notified. The scavengers have pretty much cleaned it up.

J_T
10-02-2014, 05:35 AM
I think it depends if the animal is at a distance or coming in fast. From a distance and from the side, the bigger bulls (6pt) have a noticeable "whale tail" (fish tail) appearance to the 5th and 6th tines. A 5 pt's antlers will have the appearance of finishing off in a vertical appearance (more of a big "U" shape), while a 6pt antler will often look like the last tine is pointing down to his back. From there I count 4,5,6 and as it comes in, I look for the two brow tines 1,2,3. I'm not a rifle hunter so it is a bit different, but until I can go cleanly 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 they walk.

hunter1947
10-02-2014, 05:56 AM
Two 6x6 elk got away from my friends that I was helping out on elk hunts this year reason being why they got away the two bulls that came in where looking straight at us had to wait for the bulls to turn so they could count the G5 and G6 when they came we counted the G1,G2 ,G3 and the G4 could not see the G5 and G6 had to wait till the bulls turned when they did turn we saw that they did had the G5 and G6 by then my friends could not present a good shot because the bulls where running in thick undercover so they passed on the shot..

mike-juliet
10-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Just to be clear, brow tines count on an elk right?

Yes they do

hunter1947
10-09-2014, 04:50 AM
This pic of a bull is one reason you have to count all points this bull is missing his G2 on each side..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3861.JPG http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3902.JPG

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Great example Wayne!

Some guys would see that little driver's side split at the top and crack cap...then shit their pants when they found it was a 5x4.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Helps some people(the mathematically challenged ones) to look for three on the bottom and three on the top. Just make sure you're not counting three on one side and three on the other.

Here's an example of what not to shoot during a 6 pt season..... broken eye guard on one side and broken mainbeam on the other.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2008_Elk_Hunt_022.jpg

Xenomorph
09-28-2016, 02:33 PM

Beautiful bull, I'd love to see the hammer that busted this guy up.

FsjElkHunter
09-29-2016, 10:10 PM
The quickest way is look for a V at the back if the last 2 tines V then it's a 6. Never fails. That's the fastest way when seconds count.

09-29-2016, 10:57 PM
The quickest way is look for a V at the back if the last 2 tines V then it's a 6. Never fails. That's the fastest way when seconds count.

looking for some one to bite ..... Ok I will ......

Do Not Follow by the above post ......... Nothing could be further from the truth. Absolutely Wrong! YOU MUST SEE and CONFIRM 6 ....... many do not have the 2 lower points, and some even miss the third. Or are SNAPPED OFF ....... you must Count 6.

Do NOT SHOOT based on a V or split as stated above by previous poster. It DOES FAIL.

09-30-2016, 07:01 PM
count to 6....repeat.....no tricks or rules just straight counting.

dam ...... I was hoping by reposting this it might include kootenayslams Avtar ...... Yummy.

Any way 1,2,3,4,5,6 ........ Shoot ! That's the only way.

FsjElkHunter
09-30-2016, 07:24 PM
Curly top your an idiot. Go Friday yourself. Of course you count but it's 99 percent good when they V at the back. Most 5 points U at the back. That is a quick way to judge but yes always count. God there is some narcasissitic egomaniacs on here.

Citori54
09-30-2016, 07:32 PM
Curly top your an idiot. Go Friday yourself. Of course you count but it's 99 percent good when they V at the back. Most 5 points U at the back. That is a quick way to judge but yes always count. God there is some narcasissitic egomaniacs on here.

I don't think he was being an idiot at all. When I read your post I came away with the same impression that you were saying you didn't have to count just look for a whale tail as "it never fails". All you had to do was reply saying that he/we misunderstood. No need to go off because when you do the rest of us can't help but think maybe there is an idiot in the conversation.

Rhyno
09-30-2016, 07:33 PM
Never fails. That's the fastest way when seconds count.

Dude you had JUST said it NEVER fails and is the fastest way when seconds count...nothing about actually counting to 6.....and it is NOT correct 99% of the time, I have passed on a beauty bull missing an eye guard and have multiple pictures of bulls with a v at the back that are 5's. It's this miss information and mindset that numerous guys pull the trigger on illegal bulls.

You should start looking for the common denominator with all the "troubles" you have had with HBC?????hint, its you!

09-30-2016, 07:38 PM

Wow,, well with your start on this forum, and your reactions of mostly negative posts of the few you do have, I can see you really dont lead by example, I hope your not helping any new hunters out there because your leading them down a path of your doing.

Your above post states to look for the V, it never fails ....... check with any ethical Elk hunter out there and you will find its you that thats completely wrong.

Wow, I wont waste my breath with you any longer. Welcome again to HBC, poor you, you might need help, in a few ways. Good luck Elk hunting.

CT

FsjElkHunter
09-30-2016, 07:41 PM
Goat hunter... Baaaa haaaa haaa. For the weak. A goat hunter trying to give elk advice. Ok then. The common denominator is your egotistical with your head up your a**.

FsjElkHunter
09-30-2016, 07:46 PM
Waaa. So many egotistical drama queens. If you have hunted elk you would know. Or go read a book. Look at pictures don't just critisize cause you won't YOUR opinion out there.

Dash
09-30-2016, 07:48 PM
Goat hunter... Baaaa haaaa haaa. For the weak. A goat hunter trying to give elk advice. Ok then. The common denominator is your egotistical with your head up your a**.

You should really just go find another forum to go off on. Your attitude, insults, and poor suggestions really aren't needed on here. Especially by newer hunters like myself that are looking for credible and valuable advice. Not to mention you've managed to rub every single person the wrong way since you started and I'm pretty sure no one appreciates your presence here.

bridger
09-30-2016, 08:42 PM
The original poster asked a legitimate question and as usual the negative and insulting comments appear. Interesting to note that on several Facebook hunting pages personal attacks get you booted. Something for the mods to think about?

Stone Sheep Steve
09-30-2016, 08:48 PM
The original poster asked a legitimate question and as usual the negative and insulting comments appear. Interesting to note that on several Facebook hunting pages personal attacks get you booted. Something for the mods to think about?

I think someone is looking for that boot and wants to see how far he can go before the hammer falls.

Seeadler
10-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Lots of guys look for the whale tail, but, as said, many bulls only have 1 brow tine.

RobTurbo
10-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Counting points as they are walking in screaming can be very challenging! One of my weak spots I must admit. Take your time and make sure you double count! Really would hate to have that conversation with a CO.......

rocksteady
10-01-2016, 01:03 PM
I only use the "3 up high, you are gonna die rule" when grassing from a distance to see if he is worth making a play on. If I see him mid mountain and I am at the bottom, shows he has good potential to be a 6 so worth going after... if the three ain't up high, I pass and look for something else to chase.

Having said that counting to 6, before you tickle the accutrigger is mandatory..,

rocksteady
10-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Counting points as they are walking in screaming can be very challenging! One of my weak spots I must admit. Take your time and make sure you double count! Really would hate to have that conversation with a CO.......

Even worse when he is shit kicking a tree

Bear Brawler
10-01-2016, 01:55 PM
We just got a 6x6 bull, my buddy was sure was a 5x5. It was 3 point or better so he let er rip, one shot, bull down. Once we walked up to it, we found a small point on either side measuring 1 1/8" and 1 3/8" making it a legal 6x6. The bull was 275yrds away and I'm not sure I would've made it a 6 point if that were the season.

rocksteady
10-01-2016, 03:27 PM
1 and 1/8 and 1 and 3/8 is pushing it...

Mikey Rafiki
10-01-2016, 03:46 PM
I know someone who shot a bull with 3 points up top on both sides. Had to call the CO on himself and pack it out for the food bank. Only had 1 brow on each side.

Same guy the next season was mad when he missed out on a nice 6x5. I went to the same spot the next day and located the bull. It was missing a brow on the side that had 3 on top.

Quite common as you can see.

Bear Brawler
10-01-2016, 03:58 PM
I agree, however that meets the requirement to count as a point. Again, I doubt I'd have seen em and even more doubt I would've counted them as a point if it were 6 Point season. Just saying.

rocksteady
10-01-2016, 04:10 PM
I agree, however that meets the requirement to count as a point. Again, I doubt I'd have seen em and even more doubt I would've counted them as a point if it were 6 Point season. Just saying.

Easy to mesure on the ground. Not so much when he is alive and moving.

Seeadler
10-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Yup, I let a muley buck walk the other day, another half inch and he'd have been down. It was too close to call.

Xenomorph
10-04-2016, 09:39 AM

What's the generally accepted rule on the length of a tine, or broken point to still be considered countable?

Sharpish
10-04-2016, 09:44 AM
It's 1 inch long and less than an inch wide, is it not?

Xenomorph
10-04-2016, 09:57 AM

Holy shitballs batman! The least you should do is abuse the grammar, IT did nothing to you, I swear. All it needs is you respect its sentence construction, as in proper use of pronoun and verb [you're], or proper singular/plural coordination as THERE IS a time where THERE ARE cases ...and for the love of God you're :wink: smart enough to utilize a computer, take the five minutes to spell check. Google is your absolute best friend on that, and I promise you none of us will find it in the least narcissistic of you...

Xenomorph
10-04-2016, 09:59 AM

Only reason why I am asking is SSS's bull there with broken guard and main beam. That's a massive bull, and since I've never hunted elk - I have no idea what the legal point/tine requirements are.

HarryToolips
10-04-2016, 10:21 AM

This is correct....

Xenomorph
10-04-2016, 10:25 AM
This is correct....

Going back to SSS's bull, since they would be way thicker than 1", does it mean they're no longer countable, or the differentiation at that point is the length, if it's longer than 1" it's countable, if not... ?

HarryToolips
10-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Helps some people(the mathematically challenged ones) to look for three on the bottom and three on the top. Just make sure you're not counting three on one side and three on the other.

Here's an example of what not to shoot during a 6 pt season..... broken eye guard on one side and broken mainbeam on the other.

I'm sorry but I must be missing something here: it looks like you have a legal 6 pt bull on the one side, I can see the broken eye guard on the bull's right antler, making it a 5, but I count 6 on the other side, unless the tine protruding behind your head in the pic is broken??

HarryToolips
10-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Going back to SSS's bull, since they would be way thicker than 1", does it mean they're no longer countable, or the differentiation at that point is the length, if it's longer than 1" it's countable, if not... ?

A tine by definition, has to be 1" long or greater, AND it's length must be great than it's width, at the base...

358mag
10-04-2016, 03:53 PM
A tine by definition, has to be 1" long or greater, AND it's length must be great than it's width, at the base...

Yes how true , page 5 in the regs spells it out very clear .

Xenomorph
10-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Yes how true , page 5 in the regs spells it out very clear .

Sorry man, not thick here, just really interested if broken guards, beams are still under same general tine rules and countable if meeting the aforementioned requirements or not. Although, this all length and girth talk got me chuckling quite a bit.

In all seriousness though, albeit broken, do they still count as tines if leftover size meets the general requirement? I feel like I am splitting the hair in two, but since I don't have much elk hunting experience I am trying to educate myself on it, you never know what I'll meet in the bush, right?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-04-2016, 04:53 PM
I'm sorry but I must be missing something here: it looks like you have a legal 6 pt bull on the one side, I can see the broken eye guard on the bull's right antler, making it a 5, but I count 6 on the other side, unless the tine protruding behind your head in the pic is broken??

The mainbeam that looks like it goes into my ear is, indeed, broken. It was a 3pt or better draw.

358mag
10-04-2016, 07:49 PM
Sorry man, not thick here, just really interested if broken guards, beams are still under same general tine rules and countable if meeting the aforementioned requirements or not. Although, this all length and girth talk got me chuckling quite a bit.

In all seriousness though, albeit broken, do they still count as tines if leftover size meets the general requirement? I feel like I am splitting the hair in two, but since I don't have much elk hunting experience I am trying to educate myself on it, you never know what I'll meet in the bush, right?
Yes IMHO if the length is longer than the base as per the regulations then it is a point or tine ....