PDA

View Full Version : Goose opener success

rides bike to work
09-01-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm getting stoked for the opener of goose on the 6th. I've done my scouting and have permission on a freshly cut corn field. So I drive out to it tonight and its covered in geese. Hundreds. So my question is do I decoy or do I just let the food source bring them in. I have a couple dozen stackables. And a home brew layout. Hopefully success pics to follow.

walks with deer
09-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Decoys for sure prebuild your blind concealment is key..

The first couple flocks should be really dumb on the opener.

But they will wise up really quick.

f350ps
09-01-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm getting stoked for the opener of goose on the 6th. I've done my scouting and have permission on a freshly cut corn field. So I drive out to it tonight and its covered in geese. Hundreds. So my question is do I decoy or do I just let the food source bring them in. I have a couple dozen stackables. And a home brew layout. Hopefully success pics to follow.
Absolutely decoys!! You just gotta hope they don't eat I out before Sat or they don't cut a grain field close by. Good luck, K

lorneparker1
09-01-2014, 09:41 PM
100% use decoys. I am assuming that the field is bigger then 40 yards ( the range of your shotgun). Need the decoys to bring them to where you are

Foxton Gundogs
09-01-2014, 11:16 PM
What Mr. Parker said, Id use a layout and remember don't over call and no calling is better than poor calling, Good luck

adriaticum
09-01-2014, 11:20 PM
What Mr. Parker said, Id use a layout and remember don't over call and no calling is better than poor calling, Good luck

Where do you guys buy your decoys?

Kudu
09-02-2014, 04:46 AM
Where do you guys buy your decoys?

Here (http://www.cabelas.ca/product/40474/real-geese-pro-series-ii-silhouette-canada-goose-decoys)

Or

Here (http://www.bigalsdecoys.com/)

Foxton Gundogs
09-02-2014, 09:04 AM
I buy my deeks anywhere I find a good by a bunch of ducks, geese (and a few turkeys) were bought off members. Some from online classified or posted ads I have bought some shells and full bodies fro WSS locally and some Sils from Cabelas USA. I try not to buy anything that needs shipping as full bodies can kill any deal you may think you have in freight.

adriaticum
09-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Thanks guys.
I have to start accumulating decoys now if I'm ever going to get into geese.
I looked on Craigslist and found some wooden ones and nothing decent.
May have to go to WSS or Cabelas for a few dozen.

albravo2
09-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Good starter decoys? Silouette style ok or need fully flocked?

How many to get started? Mix of feeders, sleepers, sentries, walkers?

Is $300 an adequate starter budget or am I kidding myself?

Our scouted area only has a dozen or so residents but I was pretty happy to see a few ducks there yesterday. First time I've seen dabblers since I started scouting the spot in April.

f350ps
09-02-2014, 12:30 PM
When I first started hunting geese I bought 4 dozen Outlaw silouettes, killed a ton of geese over them! Although I don't use them much anymore I'd never sell them cuz they're killer for certain applications. K

adriaticum
09-02-2014, 12:46 PM
When I first started hunting geese I bought 4 dozen Outlaw silouettes, killed a ton of geese over them! Although I don't use them much anymore I'd never sell them cuz they're killer for certain applications. K

Silouettes that like goose printed on plastic, Two dimensional?
I saw these for $134 in WSS but wondered if they work.
What applications do they work in?

Foxton Gundogs
09-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Sills work OK at the beginning of the season but as the birds get educated you need to step up your game. We use them for filling holes in our spread at the mid-end and they help out.

f350ps
09-02-2014, 02:27 PM
If you have a spot that is tough to get into they work excellent as you can carry a lot of them. I always mixed shells with them for some added dimension. Good luck! K

Kudu
09-05-2014, 07:19 AM

Alex - Ask yourself if geese or ducks can see three dimensional? (eyes stuck on either side of its head) now you know why they always move their heads from side to side in flight!

Silos work in most any conditions, if you think about how you place them properly, the group I hunt with never bother with anything else these days - in any case goodluck with carrying three to five dozen full bodies - (or even shells for that matter) in a sticky, wet muddy field come late season. (get yourself a pram to carry the all the crap!)

last season (this year) we had three dozen "big foots" well spaced, and placed correctly on the one side of our lay outs - opposite we had equal amount of Silos - on every occasion (at least three different occasions in the same field) the geese came in to the silos, and flared over the "big foot's" - needles to say the big foots went onto Craig's list for a bargain!

Eastbranch
09-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Order from ebay or out of the US> cutemdownwaterfowl.com has some good deals and they ship straight and true to canada. $300 will get you a lot. GHG shells are my pick, we were backing up flocks of ~100 specks with only 4 snow shells on monday. Brought down two smaller flocks and killed 4. Not bad for a duck hunt! You can kill a lot of birds with a dozen decoys. It's way better to be on the X than have to try and pull birds down from a 1/4 mile with a hundred dekes!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10425493_10154637661305294_3168225013062569816_n.j pg?oh=e49b093a32dccaaa3f261c496f4b9827&oe=545AC014&__gda__=1419347202_5ecaa8cb9483699fcf373b8104532f0 a

adriaticum
09-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys great feedback.
Kudu, I'm going to venture next week to WSS to get equipped with the remainder of what I need.

Kudu
09-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys great feedback.
Kudu, I'm going to venture next week to WSS to get equipped with the remainder of what I need.

Speak to Josh when you get there, he is on the Archery counter.

lorneparker1
09-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Alex - Ask yourself if geese or ducks can see three dimensional? (eyes stuck on either side of its head) now you know why they always move their heads from side to side in flight!

Silos work in most any conditions, if you think about how you place them properly, the group I hunt with never bother with anything else these days - in any case goodluck with carrying three to five dozen full bodies - (or even shells for that matter) in a sticky, wet muddy field come late season. (get yourself a pram to carry the all the crap!)

last season (this year) we had three dozen "big foots" well spaced, and placed correctly on the one side of our lay outs - opposite we had equal amount of Silos - on every occasion (at least three different occasions in the same field) the geese came in to the silos, and flared over the "big foot's" - needles to say the big foots went onto Craig's list for a bargain!

If geese are flaring off your big foots and not your silos id say there was something else going on that side of the spread

Kudu
09-05-2014, 03:15 PM
If geese are flaring off your big foots and not your silos id say there was something else going on that side of the spread

There sure where - big ugly rubber geese.......:mrgreen:

f350ps
09-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Ditto, I agree, to try and compare full bodies to silos is a non starter! I've got lots of both but I'll take the full bodies every time unless I can't get a way to get them out in the field. K

f350ps
09-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Oops, I just noticed Kudu is banned, what did I miss? Surely you don't get banned cuz ya think silos will out decoy full bodies, being wrong isn't a banable offence in my opinion! :) K

lorneparker1
09-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Oops, I just noticed Kudu is banned, what did I miss? Surely you don't get banned cuz ya think silos will out decoy full bodies, being wrong isn't a banable offence in my opinion! :) K

Looks like he got in an internet fight with gatehouse.

pnbrock
09-07-2014, 09:19 PM
what a shame………who am i kidding!!

Foxton Gundogs
09-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Ditto Lorne. Mike look harder at your spread if they are flareing I will guarantee you it isn't you Bigfoots(unless you got the rare pink models lol) I have over 6 doz Big Foots and they are what draws in the late seasoners like a magnet. I don't put mine out till the shells and sills aren't doing the job anymore don't throw your whole arsenal out at them at once change up as the birds get educated.

adriaticum
09-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Interesting article in Outdoor Edge on decoys