PDA

View Full Version : My First Hunt

Jackstay
08-30-2014, 06:50 PM
I would like to ask a few questions before I start my first hunt. I have never hunted before. I have a passion for it though. I have been reading several books on the subject and watching shows and documentaries. I have even been making notes on animal gait, reading articles about game animals on wikipedia, and tracking down obscure textbooks by Valerius Giest. If there is a list of gear that is recommended, what would it include? Who would I find to take me hunting? I would prefer to go camping in the area I would be hunting a few times to get a feel for the area. Should I hunt with a guide, or find someone at a range who will take me hunting? Are there benefits to either? Are there hunting courses? Any information on how I can start hunting would be appreciated.

Best,

Jackstay

GotaGun
08-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Welcome to hunting and HBC.
Where are you located?

Jackstay
08-30-2014, 07:09 PM
I will be moving to East Vancouver in November.

Downwind
08-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Moving from where? Yes you will have to take the CORE course to be able to get your hunting license. Guides aren't necessary and are very expensive. More info you're able to give about yourself may help you out to find a partner/mentor

HarryToolips
08-30-2014, 08:20 PM
As was said take the CORE course, then go from there...while your waiting, start hikin around and get used to being in the bush, if ya haven't already...

ducktoller
08-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Lots of huntable land not too far from the LML, will you have a car/truck?

Coastal BT are like ghosts, and the bears can be a little.....fishy

buck nash
08-31-2014, 02:32 AM
First step is getting your core. Your instructor will walk you through the process of getting legal. You need a hunter number card and a species tag for any big game you'd be after. First year hunters must buy bcwf membership.

Google the bc hunting regs synopsis or go to a gun store and pick up a free copy.

Then tell us about yourself, age, what your outdoor experience is, what you're looking for in a hunt, etc.

lots of guys are willing to mentor or just take guys for a "ride along" to give them a taste of what huntings all about but will want to know more about the guys they take out. I've introduced a few folks to hunting and its very cool to see a guy bag his first critter.

It can be an intimidating sport to get into but once you're in the addiction really sets in.

Goodluck.

M.Dean
08-31-2014, 06:45 AM
As mentioned above, the guys need a bit more info about you in order to help you out. Your age first, where do you live now, can you hike for a few hours with a pack and a rifle on your back, do you have a car or truck, and a host of other questions? But, you started in the right place if you need help getting into hunting, lots of the guys on here would be more than happy to give you a hand, but there going to need a bit more information about you, and good luck, you sound very determined to start hunting, and that's half the battle!

RiverRunner
08-31-2014, 07:29 AM
First year hunters must buy bcwf membership.

Where is some info on this?….. Why must they buy this?

Jackstay
08-31-2014, 11:43 AM
That sounds wonderful. I am just recently 27 and currently working in Fort McMurray. I came up here to make a bit of money before I reapply to the Navy as an Officer. That being said I am unsure with training and deployment when I will get another solid chance to hunt. For that reason, I would like to hunt before I head to Basic. I have a fair amount of outdoor experience as I camped most of my life. Behind my house was a forest which I spent the majority of my childhood in. I am in very good shape and have quite good endurance as a result of my job. The kind of hunting I am attracted to is more spot and stalk. I like the idea of a chase as it feels more primal. My rifle is a Lee Enfield No 4 mk 1 that was unissued and is a joy to shoot. My reason for buying it was I have a emotional attachment to the rifle because of it's place in history as well as it will make me a better shooter using iron sights. I much rather prefer to make things difficult on myself in order to become a better hunter in the long run. I will start looking into CORE as you all recommended I do and try and get ready. That's a little about me, anything else that you need to know feel free to ask as I would like to learn as much as possible.

Best,

Jackstay

buck nash
08-31-2014, 11:56 AM
Sorry I dont know how to post link on here my new tablet but I'm quite certain of this. Maybe someone else could put it up.

Bcwf is a strong advocacy group for us though they could be stronger. Higher membership #s will help. Also their liability insurance makes the $60/years worthwhile.

.30-06 camsavbc
08-31-2014, 12:30 PM
It is $22.50 (1/2 price special) for a first time membership with BCWF once you complete your CORE. I would not hunt without this membership as the liability insurance alone is worth it. It is $45 the second year for you or $65 for your family which covers you when you are participating in many outdoor activities such as scouting and fishing. Check it out!

Jackstay
08-31-2014, 05:45 PM
I will have to check it out. What is the BCWF and what do they do?

Best,

Jackstay

.30-06 camsavbc
08-31-2014, 06:14 PM
In a nutshell the BCWF advocate for rights of hunters, fishers and outdoor people here in BC. Quote from their website, "The BC Wildlife Federation is a province-wide voluntary conservation organization representing all British Columbians whose aims are to protect, enhance and promote the wise use of the environment for the benefit of present and future generations."
http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/

RiverRunner
09-01-2014, 01:03 AM
Sorry I dont know how to post link on here my new tablet but I'm quite certain of this. Maybe someone else could put it up.

Bcwf is a strong advocacy group for us though they could be stronger. Higher membership #s will help. Also their liability insurance makes the $60/years worthwhile.

We pay a one time $30 administration fee to the BCWF after the CORE course is completed as they handle all the CORE paperwork…. they sign off on it and we get our hunter number from service BC office (government)….. but no where does it say we must be a member for out first year as a new hunter with a haunter number….

that $30 is not a membership…..

I get my liability insurance from the NFA…..

ajr5406
09-01-2014, 07:03 AM
As far as liability insurance goes, do most people have hunting/firearm specific insurance plans? Just curious if this is something ALL hunters need?

I understand the rationale behind it (we are out in the bush with gun, duh), and I believe to have a Fraser valley special area licence you need liability insurance, but how many of you guys have hunting insurance plans?

hunter fisher
09-01-2014, 07:45 AM
what a great thread, people helping people, bcwf explained and getting its tired pumped, really putting me in a good mood this morning!

Jackstay
09-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Thank you all for the help but I was wondering if anyone had any more information on how to g about getting into hunting and what to expect. It was mentioned that there was no need to employ a guide, does anyone know of a community hunting group that goes out occasionally? Do I sign up for such a group? How does it work? What about gear? Any information would be appreciated.

Best,

Jackstay

quaint bucket
09-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Well, the steps usually goes like this

Get PAL for firearms
Get CORE done
Get Hunter's #
Get hunting license
Get tags for animals
Scout areas of interest to you
Connect with people around you (family, friends, associates) involved in hunting

The extra stuff is basically fill as you go along when you get along the way. Hunting season just started today for bow season then on sept 10th, most regions are starting for firearms.

The information is hard to come by because it's all over the place.

I don't know what you're planning on hunting yet. I would still recommend picking up a slingshot or a .22 to start hunting small games like squirrels, rabbits, gophers, and probably grouse.

You do not have to spend a lot of money just to get started. You can get by just fine on a budget with some suggestions

Savage axis in 30-06 for $300-400 with a scope included
a cheap binoculars for $100-150
a decent backpack from walmart or canadian tire for hiking and hauling out meat if you happen to be successful
pair of pants and polyester shirts (you don't need goretex to get started) and a relatively quiet jacket. You can get these at thrift stores, sport junkies in vancouver (good consignment store)
a decent enough vehicle that won't leave you stranded
I highly recommend bc backroad mapbooks. really great stuff. you can get them at MEC in vancouver for cheaper than everyone else.

there's a few other stuffs I can't remember.

oh, there's a BCWF sponsored new hunter course in mission/abbotsford in the second last weekend of september. i suggest you look into that.. that should help you get a good start. It is NOT the CORE.

Hope that helps and welcome to hunting.

Jackstay
09-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Wonderful. I currently have my PAL and own a Lee Enfiled No 4 Mk 1 that was unissued and made in 1956. I chose the Enfield because of it's place in history and for it's iron sights which I believe will make me a better shot in the long run. I will be returning back home to Vancouver at the end of October and will be ready to hunt in November after I settle in. I am eager to hunt blacktail or mule deer along with black bear. Though, I would prefer deer for my first hunt. Does anyone have a used CORE book that I could purchase off them so i may challenge the test?

Best,

Jackstay

buck nash
09-01-2014, 03:42 PM
I dont recommend challenging. There's a lot of good info that can be had thats not in the book. You cant ask a book questions. Your core intructor will be able to direct to lots of resources that the book will not.

Plus its a good way to hook up with other new hunters.

If you were an oldtimer hunter who let his hu ting stuff laps then maybe you should challenge but newbs really should put aside the time to do it right.

GirthBrooks
09-01-2014, 03:45 PM
How long have you been in Alberta for ?

Jackstay
09-01-2014, 03:54 PM
I have never hunted before this will be my first hunt.

Best,

Jackstay

quaint bucket
09-01-2014, 09:54 PM
I agree with not challenging the exam. I have considered it before but decided against it for the reasons buck nash stated. It's really helpful to have an instructor to talk to about it and ask questions you can't ask a book.

I still have a lot more questions to ask but will get my answer in time.

My other concern is how long you've been in Alberta for and if you were considered a resident in Alberta. If that's the case, you might not be able to start hunting this season. I believe you might have to wait for 6 months until you become a "official resident of BC" but I am not 100% sure on that.

GirthBrooks
09-02-2014, 05:06 PM
This was why I asked as well. From the sounds of it he will not be eligible for a hunter number until a 6 month period of residence is up.

Jackstay
09-02-2014, 07:08 PM
This was why I asked as well. From the sounds of it he will not be eligible for a hunter number until a 6 month period of residence is up.

Does this mean I cannot hunt when I move to Vancouver in October?

blindcast
09-02-2014, 08:58 PM
I'd strongly recommend you get in touch with Dylan Eyers at EatWild (http://www.eatwild.ca). He organizes workshops on hunting, shooting, butchering, orienteering, etc. as well as all the necessary courses that you might need to pass to satisfy government requirements (if you haven't already). It's a great group of people, many of them in the same boat as you. In fact, there's a hunter skills workshop scheduled for early October plus a shooting skills workshop a couple of weeks later. This program is exactly what you're looking for.

Phoneguy
09-03-2014, 03:07 PM
member of the Canadian Armed Forces enrolled in continuing full-time military service is eligible to obtain a HUNTER NUMBER after making his/her permanent residence in BC for 30 days immediately before applying for the licence/HUNTER Number. Proof of hunter safety training is a pre-requisite.

Synopsis, page 6

James

Reading back, not sure if you are in the Navy now... If so that snip-it above applies

albravo2
09-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Send me a PM after you move. We can hit the range in Squamish and discuss the CORE and some hunting options.

If you can get a copy of the CORE manual ahead of time it will be time well spent, whether you challenge the exam or take the course.

Jackstay
09-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Send me a PM after you move. We can hit the range in Squamish and discuss the CORE and some hunting options.

If you can get a copy of the CORE manual ahead of time it will be time well spent, whether you challenge the exam or take the course.

I will most certainly do that. Thank you very much for the invitation.

Best,

Jackstay

Jackstay
09-03-2014, 09:33 PM
member of the Canadian Armed Forces enrolled in continuing full-time military service is eligible to obtain a HUNTER NUMBER after making his/her permanent residence in BC for 30 days immediately before applying for the licence/HUNTER Number. Proof of hunter safety training is a pre-requisite.

Synopsis, page 6

James

Reading back, not sure if you are in the Navy now... If so that snip-it above applies

Not enlisted yet. Still have to wait for the move. That is very valuable information however. Thank you for the heads up.

Best,

Jackstay