PDA

View Full Version : Looking for wisdom

HeadingOutside
08-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Hey guys,

Well, as another deer season comes screaming up on us, I take the time to tally and reminisce over last year's hunt. Which, in fact, doesn't take much time at all seeing as how it did not produce a deer. This may make it sound as if I carry a chip on my shoulder and that couldn't be farther from the truth. In fact, last year was my very first hunt after obtaining my C.O.R.E. in the spring and it was one of the most phenomenal couple of months I've ever experienced. I was completely consumed with the thought of the next trip. Unfortunately, due to work circumstances every trip was a single day excursion. Although multiple trips were made, the only results were some great memories between some great friends. Ahh, good times. I remember one morning, waking up to my buddy's Jeep firing up and immediately squealing like a stuck pig....only to hear the subsequent slapping of the serpentine belt as it snapped and went flying through the pulley's. Let's just say water pumps and power steering works a lot better with a functioning serpentine belt.

Now that I have bored you with nostalgia, I will get to my point. This year the gang and I have secured 9 days off (Sept. 14-23rd) to make an honest attempt at a proper hunt. The problem is a common one. Where to go? I know.. I know.. "Take a left at Sunscreen Rd, head up there for 23.4 mins at 30km/h and turn right on that trail. There will be a deer tied to the oak tree in the center of the field." I completely understand that folks don't want to give up their honey holes but that is far from what I'm asking. I'm hoping for a nudge towards an area. At this point, I've been salivating over my regs book for so long a 12 hour drive is of absolutely no concern to me.

I'm not completely naive to what I ask. I can hear eyes rolling. But I would greatly and genuinely appreciate any help or advice that you could offer.

Thanks guys
Devon

nelsonob1
08-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Devon, Come to the Kootenays, lots of deer. You will fill your tag. Buy an elk tag also - you never know...

monasheemountainman
08-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Ya man no need to drive 12 hours. 3 hours and your in the okanagan. Lots of great camping off the connector and lots of deer as well. Do you have a back roads map book? If not get one. Pick one of the many lakes to camp at. Set up a nice camp with your buds, and go shoot some deer.

Colinofthewoods
08-29-2014, 10:29 PM
No matter where you go , just be patient. Find a good spot where you can see lots , and wait and glass. Patience is key.

coglark
08-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Read Jelvis' threads. The intel might be dated, but the places are still there.

HeadingOutside
08-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Wow, thanks for the responses guys!

Patience in the bush won't be an issue. It's the waiting UNTIL the trip that is driving me up the wall.

The only hang up about being closer to the Valley (and hence the largest population) is that it may be busier. I feel like the farther I drive the less people there will be. Yes, I am trying to run away from some of you fine folks! Is this completely unfounded?

HeadingOutside
08-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Read Jelvis' threads. The intel might be dated, but the places are still there.

I will certainly do this. Thank you.

gutpile
08-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Rock Creek is the place you want to go .

HeadingOutside
08-29-2014, 10:56 PM
I feel like I'm trying to drink from a firehose here guys. Thanks for the tips.

Rock Creek is the place you want to go .

Please! Give your reasoning good sir!

.30-06 camsavbc
08-30-2014, 12:12 AM
I would assume because there is reasonable backcountry access and a healthy population of deer. It is also a lot closer to you than the Kootenays but I wouldn't rule it out.

thepitchedlink
08-30-2014, 07:14 AM
The Koots would be great and by all means take the drive, but really, the south end of Reg 8, or west Koots, Castlegar, Slocan, should put you into some critters with far less of a drive.....where did you get skunked last year?

deer nut
08-30-2014, 07:52 AM
Being 12 hrs from the LMLdoesn't necessarily mean a place will be less busy. The Peace Region and Omineca are great but the Peace has lots of private land you need prior permission to legally hunt.

Also consider the FN blockades. The Skeena region is game rich and very scenic but moose areas in the Nass have been recently blockaded by the local FN which adds complications.

Good luck!

nature girl
08-30-2014, 07:56 AM
If you and your buds have 9 days off maybe split you hunting spots into 2 spots. Go to one area for 4 days and a totally different spot for the remander of your time off.

r106
08-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Wow, thanks for the responses guys!

Patience in the bush won't be an issue. It's the waiting UNTIL the trip that is driving me up the wall.

The only hang up about being closer to the Valley (and hence the largest population) is that it may be busier. I feel like the farther I drive the less people there will be. Yes, I am trying to run away from some of you fine folks! Is this completely unfounded?

Yes and no. It depends how you hunt. The 2 places my hunting partner and I hunt are 30 min from two different major towns. Both can be busy. Doesn't mean the game isn't there, we found if we hike up a hill or ridge and glass we see lots of game and no people.

Grousedaddy
08-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Well you may luck out this year with a cooler sept but you are going to face the heat challenge as well as 4 pt only for mulies so if you get skunked again dont beat yourself up! Early season 4 pts are harder to get you should have booked time off in oct/nov but good luck hope you pop your cherry

oscar makonka
08-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Some of the best places to hunt are close to home. Many people have the impression that the further you get from town the better the hunting is and that's where a lot of hunters go. Meanwhile I can hunt five minutes from town, lots of game and hardly any hunters, they are all out in the middle of nowhere.

walks with deer
08-30-2014, 08:34 AM
south East kootneys shoot whitetails

two-feet
08-30-2014, 08:49 AM
If i were down there i would be looking to fill the freezer with white tail doe. Or if i wanted a mule deer i would head to the chilcotin cause that is some nice country! Vanderhoof, quesnel, mcbride, ......i could go on for an hour! Good luck and have fun

HarryToolips
08-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Like was said, Christian Valley is good, whitetail any buck open if your lookin to lose your deer killing virginity..lots of farms, hug crown land close and you might get one.. and like was said, lots of whities in the east koots... focus on the any buck whitey season, or if your lookin for an adventure, and dont mind the drive like you said, go to the Cariboo region 5-7 to 5-9 you can shoot any mulie buck from sept 10 til the end of november, but I've never been in that area..

HeadingOutside
08-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Good morning guys!

The Koots would be great and by all means take the drive, but really, the south end of Reg 8, or west Koots, Castlegar, Slocan, should put you into some critters with far less of a drive.....where did you get skunked last year?

We hopped all around last year. Scottie Creek near Cache Creek, Valentine Lake near 100 Mile House, Whipsaw near Princeton, and another place I'm having an issue recalling the name of. It was off the Helmer Exit but also could be accessed from Merrit. I don't believe there is anything wrong with those places but some of them did feel pretty busy at times. I'm also looking for a place that will become an annual hunting trip for years to come.

Grousedaddy: I had a feeling the September may be a problem. Would I be naive to think going for WT bucks in the Kootneys would help my chances?

More to come, hiding in the bathroom at work. See what hunting does to ya?! Does a mobile version or app for this site exist? My thumb is cramping from all the scrolling!

Grousedaddy
08-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Never focused on WT deer is sept to be honest so your guess as good as mine lol just hunt high where its cooler and look for where there going to take a drink they need water!!

albravo2
08-30-2014, 10:10 AM
I find it pretty refreshing that a version of the 'where to hunt?' question is receiving so many helpful replies. Must have been a well-phrased original post.

I've spent a lot of time in the past couple seasons looking for a very similar thing. I felt that I'd prefer to see an angry grizzly than another hunter. While I have enjoyed the really remote hunts I've also learned that running into other hunting parties isn't a bad thing, especially for a new hunter. People are very friendly and helpful, especially if you mention you are trying not to encroach on their hunt.

The only other advice I have is that the coast is the toughest terrain I've found to hunt. There's critters for sure, but it is much harder to find them in the dense coastal bush than in the bigger, open spaces of the Okanagan or Chilcotin.

Good luck! It sounds like you are already having fun... just a matter of connecting with some game.

Pangaea
08-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the great thread! I'm in a similar boat, though this will be my first season: gotta hunt the early season due to work (Sept. 10-15 with a couple of days before to scout) and after 5 scouting trips to areas further and further east in MU 8, I settled on 8-15, where I've scouted twice now. I liked the open country, and that even the semi-overgrown roads were in pretty good condition. Saw a fair number of WT bucks - nothing huge,but great for a first deer. Might even head east into 4-14. Beautiful country, so even a couple of grouse will register as a success...

HeadingOutside
08-30-2014, 12:23 PM
I find it pretty refreshing that a version of the 'where to hunt?' question is receiving so many helpful replies. Must have been a well-phrased original post.

Thank you,

I did a lot of poking/snooping around the forums before I decided to bite the bullet and ask this question. I was hesitant to ask because some of the responses in other forums were utterly resentful and, in my opinion, rude. I don't understand the reasoning for this reaction although I also haven't been asked "Where should I go?" a thousand times.

I'm a new hunter. Nobody in my close nor distant family are hunters. It's completely daunting to approach our province with a completely blank slate of knowledge and just pick a spot. I know when I become more experienced I will help a newcomer because I realize the position they are in. Not just regarding a place to hunt, but how to hunt as well. It's an incredibly steep learning curve to climb and any wisdom, however small, is incredibly helpful. I find it somewhat ironic that the folks berating new hunters about asking for an idea of where to hunt were, themselves, shown by either family or personal friends. Not everyone is as fortunate to have hunting in their family history and going forward, I believe I'm trailblazing a path for my own children to learn about and appreciate the land we live in.. Just as I am beginning to do.

I have no doubt that this post will fizzle into obscurity as so many have before it but I TRUELY appreciate your insights and the time you took to respond as politely as you all have to my question. If it can help others too then all the better.

Thank you all so much.
Devon

Darksith
08-30-2014, 12:56 PM
the answer is simple, there are trophy deer everywhere in clearwater and spences bridge. Pick 1!

Honestly though, it all depends...you wanna hike and look for a deer in the alpine? Maybe somewhere off the coquihalla? Everywhere in BC has good potential and decent numbers for deer...just pick 1. Thompson, north thompson, okanagan would be my first 3 choices in no particular order coming from the LML.

We have all been there, we have all gone on adventures and gotten squat...while it never hurts to ask, keep your expectations low. As someone who seems to go on adventures into the unknown and always asks, I always seem to strike out. No biggie though, as the adventure is the most important thing. Going in september you are limiting yourself to a whitey or a 4 point muley for the most part though, so don't expect to find it. I talk to many groups that come to hunt around kamloops in september, most end up with nothing...but some don't. It takes time, learning the area, and learning where not to be, you won't find that info on a website, and even if I tell you to go camp here, it doesn't mean you will fill your tag, as I have spent hundreds of days in that area and I still strike out in september. Pick somewhere closer to home, somewhere you are willing to return to, as the 2nd trip usually is better than the first, and go with the expecatations of warm temps, animals being scarce, and having a great time in camp and your trip will be a complete success no matter the outcome of the hunt.