PDA

View Full Version : New email today from BCWF. How to deal with recent road blocks.

Kami
08-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Good info today in my email from BCWF on how to deal with recent road blockades.
I'd copy and paste it here if I could figure out how with my iPhone. Maybe
someone else can paste if here.

If you hunt or fish I encourage you to become a BCWF member if you are not.
These folks seem organized and are representing our concerns. This is my first
year as a member. I will renew every year going forward.

Mikey Rafiki
08-29-2014, 03:02 PM
From the email:

The following information details appropriate ways to deal with a roadblock should you encounter one:
Be Prepared
Make “be prepared” your new motto this hunting season. Do some research on the area so that you know about any current issues or situations. Keep writing materials and a camera in your vehicle at all times so that you are prepared to document any encounters and before you leave the paved highway, make sure you have these materials at hand and ready.
If the Blockade Encountered is Unattended
Should you encounter an unattended roadblock, document it thoroughly with photos and written notes. Be sure to carefully assess the situation before proceeding and if you do not feel comfortable, do not drive on or proceed. Always practice safety first.
If the Blockade Encountered is Attended
When encountering a manned blockade, the first rule is to always be cautious. Record the date, time, and detailed location (GPS coordinates are best) of the blockade and do not get out of your vehicle or roll your window all of the way down. Ask for the spokesperson for the blockade, and ensure that only one member of your group speaks with him or her.
Following are a number of questions that should be asked in a respectful manner (do not forget to have someone in your group record the answers):

[*=left]May I please get your name?
[*=left]Do you represent a specific group?
[*=left]How long have you been here, and how long do you intend on staying?
[*=left]What will happen to us if we choose to continue to our destination?

Listen carefully to the answers provided, and if anything is said that could be construed as a threat, be ensure to record it or write it down “word for word”. Document the encounter while your memory is fresh, and be sure to stick to the facts - there is no need for derogatory or insulting language, which will only take away from your account and reflect poorly on your character. Be as neutral as possible in your observations.
If possible, opt for recording events with a video camera over still photos if you are unable to manage both. The person recording the events should not be the same person that has been designated as spokesperson for your group. Keep everything you record, write down, or photograph – do not allow anyone to confiscate your material, even the police. Offer to provide a copy, but make sure you retain the originals yourself.
Important details to note about the blockade include:

[*=left]The number of protesters present at the blockade
[*=left]Physical descriptions of the protestors including clothing, hair colour, height and weight, approximate ages, and any identifying characteristics.
[*=left]Descriptions and license plate numbers of any vehicles present.

Please note that it is perfectly legal to photograph or record people in a public place, even if you are on a private road. The protesters may take their own photos and video and if they are recording the proceedings themselves, chances are they will not be a major problem for you.
If You are Able to Get Through the Blockade
If you do pass through a blockade and set up camp, record any other hunter presence or protestor traffic. If you feel your camp may be at risk, leave someone there to watch over it while you are gone. Be respectful and follow the guidelines above for any further contact with protestors, and always remember to keep safety first.
How to Report if You are Blockaded
Anyone who has been refused entry to Crown land should immediately report the matter to the police and the Conservation Officer Service. In the event that you or your property is threatened, be sure to ask that criminal charges are laid and request that an investigation of the incident take place. It is important to remember that a threat is only “criminal” if there is a threat of death, bodily harm, or of damage to your property. The threat must be direct in order to be considered a criminal act. For example, someone telling you they will “burn down your camp” if you proceed is making a criminal threat.
On the other hand, being told something along the lines of “we can’t guarantee that you won’t be visited at night” is not a direct threat and falls into the category of innuendo. It is important to record the exact words so that you can relay the conversation to the authorities. When reporting an incident to the police or CO Service, ask for an occurrence or police file number and record the name of the officer that you spoke with.
Dialogue with First Nations
In addition to providing BCWF Members with advice for encountering roadblocks, our organization is also working to engage in dialogue with First Nations groups so that we can work together to maintain each other’s needs and opportunities in an environment of mutual respect. Our purpose is to foster enjoyment for all British Columbians that hunt, fish, and enjoy the outdoors.

Mishka
08-29-2014, 03:11 PM
I am glad they are given direction on this. We will be further ahead if we remain professional, but firm.

Sofa King
08-29-2014, 03:13 PM
and just what is that supposed to accomplish?
and I don't think one needs to be a BCWF member to do that.
I know I wouldn't even bother.
facts are, they can kill me right there on the spot, and none of them will go to jail.
I even try to drive around their roadblock and i'll be locked up.
best thing to do is stay out of these areas.

Kami
08-29-2014, 03:23 PM
The BCWF is organized and gets stuff done. BCWF represents hunters and our concerns.
Seems to work a bit better than bitchin about things on here.

Sofa King
08-29-2014, 03:27 PM
what realistically are they going to get done?
they can represent hunters and our concerns all they want, but what are they going to do that our government can't?

two-feet
08-29-2014, 03:34 PM
I was just discussing this with one of my hunting partners. The odds of our moose hunt being blockaded is high. I will surely record any encounters with FN but if we are not allowed access that does nothing for us as we have all planned this trip for a year and are financially and emotionally invested in it. We plan on heading up at around 2am, hopefully that helps. I am a fairly level headed individual and always try to see both sides of an argument, having lived on a reserve and been around the north here my whole life I understand the FN are frustrated with their situation but blocking honest citizens on a legal hunt is not winning them a lot of support from me.

Sofa King
08-29-2014, 03:40 PM
that's my point.
recording everything doesn't really help you out for your hunt.
if they deny you access, it's tough-titty.
and it's not like it's a big secret where the roadblocks are, they have publicly announced that they are doing it.
and descriptions of the individuals??
why?
what's going to happen to those individuals?
nothing, that's what.
I just don't see what this is realistically going to solve.

Mikey Rafiki
08-29-2014, 03:41 PM
facts are, they can kill me right there on the spot, and none of them will go to jail.

How many people have been killed or put in jail trying to go around illegal road blocks? This sounds bizzare to me...

kilometers
08-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Well it sounds like their looking for good documented evidence which could be used in court. Facts of actuall incidences and video proof would go along way in the court of law.
Of course it won't help your hunt out. But if it helps out someone in the years to come why would anybody complain.
I am not a member but I think I will become one soon.
Im pretty sure if they murdered someone they would go to jail maybe that's my opinion but race dosnt have much effect in the courts. Catching the culprit is a different scenario

solo
08-29-2014, 05:08 PM

Seems to me I have read many times that members of FN are "over represented" in this nations prisons. I would assume that means that if they do murder you, or threaten you, that odds are there will be a jail sentence waiting for them.

Darksith
08-30-2014, 01:25 PM
that's my point.
recording everything doesn't really help you out for your hunt.
if they deny you access, it's tough-titty.
and it's not like it's a big secret where the roadblocks are, they have publicly announced that they are doing it.
and descriptions of the individuals??
why?
what's going to happen to those individuals?
nothing, that's what.
I just don't see what this is realistically going to solve.

You are thinking of the present...maybe a little short sighted of you? If we don't find a way to put these kinds of confrontations to bed, they will simply keep happening year after year after year. And they will grow in number as well. The BCWF is helping people understand what is illegal and the best way to document it. If the cops come and dismantle a few of these and throw some people in jail for uttering threats, you think they will still keep happening? Maybe, but maybe they will happen in a different way, a non confrontational, non destructive, non restrictive way. They could morph into information stops rather than blockades.

First off sofa, you should join the BCWF, the more members the more pull they have with the government. Second you should support these actions rather than just say "f it" and "why bother". We should be getting 100 vehicles together and taking that 100 vehicle convoy through every road block they setup, united as 1 group...thats what we should be doing, not saying "screw this Im going somewhere else"

Kami
08-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Well said Darksith. I though it was obvious, what the benefits of the BCWF are. At the risk of sounding like a douche, I will say...I am starting to wonder if the majority of hunters here in Hunt BC are younger testosterone driven males? A fk it, armed with ammo, macho attitude will not work in finding solutions to our current hunting frustrations. Guns a-blazing actions might have worked in the wild west in 1825. It won't today.

Dannybuoy
08-30-2014, 02:36 PM
You are thinking of the present...maybe a little short sighted of you? If we don't find a way to put these kinds of confrontations to bed, they will simply keep happening year after year after year. And they will grow in number as well. The BCWF is helping people understand what is illegal and the best way to document it. If the cops come and dismantle a few of these and throw some people in jail for uttering threats, you think they will still keep happening? Maybe, but maybe they will happen in a different way, a non confrontational, non destructive, non restrictive way. They could morph into information stops rather than blockades.

First off sofa, you should join the BCWF, the more members the more pull they have with the government. Second you should support these actions rather than just say "f it" and "why bother". We should be getting 100 vehicles together and taking that 100 vehicle convoy through every road block they setup, united as 1 group...thats what we should be doing, not saying "screw this Im going somewhere else"

Now that's the right idea ! 100's or 1000's and be sure to let the media know beforehand ...

r106
08-30-2014, 02:45 PM

Thats a great idea.

Thats exactly what the natives want.

Ry151
08-30-2014, 03:12 PM
How many people have been killed or put in jail trying to go around illegal road blocks? This sounds bizzare to me...
Google Gustafson lake stand off, it ended quite friendly lol

Papa Sasquatch
08-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Reminder that Kitwanga is one of many business community raking up the funds for blockades. So you and I paid for that problem. I aint stopping there anymore. Better planning goes a long way.

coyotebc
08-30-2014, 04:43 PM
I have been a BCWF member for a few years now, and personally other then the liability insurance I don't think they do a lot
The fact is that the general population doesn't care about hunters, and combine this with public schools and Universities promoting native rights and how we owe them everything the situation will just get worse for us

The only way things will change is if the general public decides enough is enough and forces the provincial and federal government to act
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that

Darksith
08-30-2014, 04:58 PM
I have been a BCWF member for a few years now, and personally other then the liability insurance I don't think they do a lot
The fact is that the general population doesn't care about hunters, and combine this with public schools and Universities promoting native rights and how we owe them everything the situation will just get worse for us

The only way things will change is if the general public decides enough is enough and forces the provincial and federal government to act
are you educated as to what the BCWF has been doing for us in the past few years? I disagree with your bolded statement above...change doesn't happen overnight, protection of rights is something that is less obvious

Papa Sasquatch
08-30-2014, 05:05 PM

Sounds like you need to volunteer for BCWF and learn a few things!

FirePower
08-30-2014, 05:21 PM
Sounds like you need to volunteer for BCWF and learn a few things!

Now there sir is a capitol idea, Mister S. King and Mister C. BC should be mindful of the following quote from The Irish statesman and author Edmund Burke. "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”

2tins
08-30-2014, 05:53 PM
This shit is not for the BCWF to be dealing with. This is for OUR f--king government to be dealing with. The longer this shit is allowed to go on, the worse it will be for everyone involved.

Dannybuoy
08-30-2014, 06:13 PM
This shit is not for the BCWF to be dealing with. This is for OUR f--king government to be dealing with. The longer this shit is allowed to go on, the worse it will be for everyone involved.

Exactly ! But what you are not taking into account is that the Government will only do what it is pressured into doing ..... that's where the BCWF comes into play ..how many members ? more would be better !

one-shot-wonder
08-30-2014, 06:34 PM

All the more reason for residents of BC to stand up and do something! The BCWF is a great voice for us hunters and they get my support and should get yours too. Unless of course your apathy takes over and you decide this is somebody else's battle.

Sitting back and waiting for the government to react is like pissing into the wind. Last time I checked the gov't has do F-all with this issue and also the Mt. Polley disaster. Both situations the BCWF are involved and providing information to us outdoorsmen.

As others have mentioned, time to man up and unite with other fellow outdoorsmen/women joining the largest and strongest voice for conservationists! For the future security of access within OUR province and for future generations to enjoy the Fish and wildlife we are current blessed with, we can take it for granted. The way I see it is this is the LEAST I can do.......

Darksith
08-30-2014, 09:14 PM
JOIN BCWF...I just bought my license and 2 deer tags, 1 moose tag...that bill was twice what a membership costs...its not very much $, why wouldn't you support the 1 group that is working for the things that are important to everyone on this website? If you hunt, you should be a BCWF member. If you hit a roadblock, follow the instructions in the email above...give BCWF, the media, the government a reason to do something, make the public not back these types of actions because of how they are conducted, not the Cinderella story of how they are conducted that the media currently run...show the truth, society will not back people making threats and blocking public land illegally through violence and threats

HarryToolips
08-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Darksmith has got the right idea...

Marsh Hawk
08-30-2014, 10:08 PM
As Vice President of the Lower Mainland Region of the BCWF, I must say thanks to many of you for the words of support. I have been a member of our club for most of my life and involved at the Region for quite a few years now. As we have all seen stated, the Fed does do a lot for hunters' rights in the province. With a membership of 40,000 we are the only organization in the province that can have a real impact in dealing with government and first nations. VOLUNTEERS in the BCWF all over the province deal with hunting and fishing related issues that affect all of us in every corner of the province. This email was meant to inform everyone of the best way to deal with encountering a blockade. Hopefully none of us has a bad encounter with a blockade interrupting a hunt but if so here are some guidelines to help you. Just remember a quote from John Holdstock (past BCWF President) - "The world is run by those that show up" . Sitting on your couch bitching into your laptop will do nothing to help solve this.

Nuzguy
08-31-2014, 11:04 AM
Hi Guys,

Can someone post or PM me the locations of these road blocks?

Kami
08-31-2014, 11:22 AM
Thaks Marsh for supporting my words for others to become BCWF
members. Also thanks for your volunteer time. I agree 100% about sitting at home bitching from your computer on Hunt BC. I am going to look into my local BCWF chapter about volunteering. Thx.

coyotebc
09-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Sorry that you don't like my opinion but assuming that I am doing nothing shows your hubris
I contact local, Provincial and federal representatives on a regular basis
I have been doing that since Alan Rock was around

As Vice President of the Lower Mainland Region of the BCWF, I must say thanks to many of you for the words of support. I have been a member of our club for most of my life and involved at the Region for quite a few years now. As we have all seen stated, the Fed does do a lot for hunters' rights in the province. With a membership of 40,000 we are the only organization in the province that can have a real impact in dealing with government and first nations. VOLUNTEERS in the BCWF all over the province deal with hunting and fishing related issues that affect all of us in every corner of the province. This email was meant to inform everyone of the best way to deal with encountering a blockade. Hopefully none of us has a bad encounter with a blockade interrupting a hunt but if so here are some guidelines to help you. Just remember a quote from John Holdstock (past BCWF President) - "The world is run by those that show up" . Sitting on your couch bitching into your laptop will do nothing to help solve this.

olympia
09-01-2014, 09:44 PM

just stop hunting if that's your attitude, stop exercising to keep your heart healthy cause your gonna die anyways, stop mowing your lawn cause its gonna grow back anyways...you get my point.

LupieHunter
09-01-2014, 11:11 PM
If you don't think they do anything, maybe it's time you do some research on the bcwf, get more involved with them or get in touch with your regional board of directors. If you do that, I think you'd be quite surprised with what they and the different regional boards do. I'm only 22 and I currently sit on one of the regional boards and have been involved with them for a number of years. Becoming involved with the BCWF was one of the greatest things I've done and I STRONGLY encourage all bc hunters to become members.