PDA

View Full Version : Full moon and hunting

bone
08-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Just wanted to get everyones opinion on hunting during the full moon phase. Do you see less deer moving during the day? Are they eating through the night and bedding down during the day? What happens if you have rain clouds during the night does that cancel out feeding at night?

Sofa King
08-28-2014, 10:32 AM
I've never really noticed a change.
but, the next morning following a full moon, I found areas where the snow was absolutely trampled by the deer during the night, like they had a massive party or something.

Mikey Rafiki
08-28-2014, 10:38 AM
I've never really noticed a change.
but, the next morning following a full moon, I found areas where the snow was absolutely trampled by the deer during the night, like they had a massive party or something.

Definitely moon parties going on!

Haven't noticed anything myself. Many studies and articles are inconclusive. I know some people that swear by hunting around the moon phases but I think the weather and daylight hours have a lot more influence.

Steelpulse
08-28-2014, 11:15 AM
I have never relied on moon phases to plan hunting, I justs go every day I possibly can and those are the best days to hunt, focusing your hunts around the rut is generally best. I'm sure there is some influence and if clear weather was around deer might spend the night out later and feed welll into dark, but if there was cloud cover i'd expect business as usual, however no knowledge really of actual moon phase deer relationships

08-28-2014, 11:25 AM
If you are planning a hunt that is a big deal..... dont go near a full moon ......
if you are just doing a day or weekend just go ......

If it is bright out at night the deer feed into the night .....
maybe Mulies and White tails are less prone to this as much,, but Island Blacktail's sure are.

howa1500
08-28-2014, 11:32 AM
The moon "can" affect animals, however weather also plays a huge part in the overall affect.

In my experience, if the weather has remained stable temperature wise, and there are clear skies, then yes a full moon will create an environment where the critters are more active at night.

But weather in my opinion is far more important.

However, I never worry to much, as I go hunting when I can go hunting.

marcus44
08-28-2014, 11:41 AM
I've found that the days leading up to the full moon there is more activity, solunar tables tend to agree with this, with best days being the days before the full moon and then dropping off the day after.

Fred1
08-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Yup full moon PARTAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!! Get up earlier, be ready to pull the trigger at first shooting light. I have seen moose in full moon frolic mode well after dark. Enough light to see the shapes in the medow and they seemed to be diggin it baby!! I can guess frolicing all night makes one a bit tired in the day... It does for me... But then again half the moose I have been in on were shot around mid day. So WTH?! May as well hunt, cant get em at home!

Liveforthehunt
08-28-2014, 12:55 PM
I have noticed any change been up north on my two week trips with success everytime ... Maybe more action at night but they still move in the evenings and mornings it's just a theory that has not been proven people can say all they want about oh don't plan a big hunting trip on the full moon lol the animals don't just disappear off the face of the earth you may have to hunt harder.... And let's be honest here who doesn't like a challenge ?

Mr. Dean
08-28-2014, 01:53 PM
It sucks. :sad:

caddisguy
08-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Next full moon is Sep 9th... the night before opening day. After the full moon in August, I had a nice 4 point blacktail/muley hybrid walk out at 10:25AM. It casually walked by us and bed down about 30 meters away just off a road for half an hour before moving along. Night mode on my trail cam was going screwy in the nights surrounding this, but I got plenty of day footage with deer around the full moon. It's possible animals spend more time out at night during the full moon, but they seem pretty darn stupid during the day.

Now that I think about it, that 4-point did seem like he was probably up all night partying. Seemed totally out of it and off his game, like when you're getting towards the end of a double shift after not sleeping the night before.

Drillbit
08-28-2014, 09:24 PM
The Moon definitely makes a difference, and I use it to my advantage.

HarryToolips
08-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Next full moon is Sep 9th... the night before opening day. After the full moon in August, I had a nice 4 point blacktail/muley hybrid walk out at 10:25AM. It casually walked by us and bed down about 30 meters away just off a road for half an hour before moving along. Night mode on my trail cam was going screwy in the nights surrounding this, but I got plenty of day footage with deer around the full moon. It's possible animals spend more time out at night during the full moon, but they seem pretty darn stupid during the day.

Now that I think about it, that 4-point did seem like he was probably up all night partying. Seemed totally out of it and off his game, like when you're getting towards the end of a double shift after not sleeping the night before.

Exactly...from my experience, first light/last light weren't that great because of clear skies usually in combination with the full moon, but like he said, I was seeing better action late morning or early afternoon..