PDA

View Full Version : Moose Help Needed - Oct 1 where to go..

blackford
08-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Let me start with a disclaimer, I am not trying to sniff out the honey holes here....or for whatever reason trying to nab a spot from somewhere. I am looking for some help.

For the last few years we have been going to Tunkwa Lake and managed to get a moose and deer. Having a dad that is 75 we enjoyed this because the weather wasn't terrible and while we hunted hard, we had fun. it was close to Vancouver and had a ball doing it. The issue is that now the kids and extended family all love a lil moose meet.

So where is the problem.... The regs changed and this area is open later. I have already booked my holidays for oct 1. i wanted to be around to do the grunt work. Parents now want to try the colder weather.. But i wont be around to help with packing out meet or even setting up camp...

I looked at the regs and saw that region 3 has a moose opening on Oct 1 in some areas but.... when i called local tackle and gun shops i was told they don't get a hell of a lot of moose....

so again, my question...

I don't want specific gps points.... or where you hunt... but i would like to make sure i can look after my parents... They want a moose bad and i don't know what to do....

If someone has any recommendations..... and we are successful in seeing a bunch a game... i am willing to fed ex a bottle of fine liquor and some meat your way.... if you would rather share it by private message please do...

i really am at a loss here so i don't know what to do...

luckofthedraw
08-27-2014, 03:24 PM
You have no draw I take it. Is your plan to hunt immature moose closer to home still, or are you looking at heading further North?

monasheemountainman
08-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Do they have a draw? Or just hoping for to run into an immy? There are lots of moose around kamloops, Merritt, and the connector area. But mostly in certain pockets. If they are just hoping for an immy, good luck, it can happen but that will be luck at its finest. Lots of good mule deer country.

blackford
08-27-2014, 03:29 PM
just hoping to run into a immy... we put in draws but no such luck....

we managed to get a draw last year and the past few years managed to walk into a moose...

luckofthedraw
08-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Pick an area you are familiar with, and make it a deer hunt with hopes of bumping an immature. Worst case scenario, you'll create good memories.

blackford
08-27-2014, 03:41 PM
looking at the regs... 3-34 to 3-44, 3-46 are open.....

The issue is I don't know or nor have I been to these areas... anyone know of any moose that have came home with them from these areas...

deadlyshot19
08-27-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm not much of a moose hunter but I hunt 3-37 hard every year for mulies and bear for the past at least 7 years now and I've been all over up there, I found sheds once about 5 years about of about a 40" moose or so and once in a very blue moon I come across droppings but I have never seen a living or dead for that matter moose in that area.. I will however ask some people I know around the area and PM you if there is anything worth sharing.. As far as I'm concerned luckofthedraw is has the right advice.

4 point
08-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Region 3 anywhere near Kamloops moose are hit hard by FN. Just saying.

HarryToolips
08-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Region 3 anywhere near Kamloops moose are hit hard by FN. Just saying.

Yup, and our only way of stopping these 'groups', as hunters is funding and persuasion to the higher ups that we need to start cutting down access in areas...start de-activating some logging roads, and who knows, maybe in 8 years when my boy is legally allowed to hunt we can still go moose hunting on a GOS...otherwise things could turn to LEH in certain areas..

Liveforthehunt
08-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Yup, and our only way of stopping these 'groups', as hunters is funding and persuasion to the higher ups that we need to start cutting down access in areas...start de-activating some logging roads, and who knows, maybe in 8 years when my boy is legally allowed to hunt we can still go moose hunting on a GOS...otherwise things could turn to LEH in certain areas..Sad but true statement harrytoolips I still see plenty of moose every year in reg 8 where I hunt but in 3 i am noticing a decline .... Lots of us hunters hit that area hard as well reg 3 that is and with all the immys being taken and the FN it wouldn't surprise me if by 2016 LEH only the way they have been shortening the seasons every couple years here it started with a sept-20th- OCt 31 st hunt now it's down to 15 days in november

blackford
08-28-2014, 11:23 PM
I am thinking of just going up to an area that is open for oct 1 for moose and has deer also.... get the deer and if an immy crosses my path... BONUS...

Anyone know any prayers to the moose gods..

604redneck
08-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Where I put my cameras in region 8 I have had immature bulls every year on camera. Twins last year. Never hunt them nor will I give out there where abouts but there are a lot out there if u can find an area not saying it's anywhere near a given but they exist.

dhog
08-29-2014, 07:49 AM
You can always try 3-32 the west Pavillion road used to be moose in that area not sure about the FN land claims in the area

604redneck
08-29-2014, 07:53 AM
Up sunset main might be good

Seeker
08-29-2014, 08:48 AM
Definitely moose up sunset, join the masses, probably the hardest hit in this area by hunters for moose, but if you are accustomed to hunting in Tunkwa, this will be comparable in terms of hunter pressure. Good luck!

08-29-2014, 09:16 AM
I hate hunting immatures..... i do not go just for immatures anymore. I shift to focusing on other species when i dont get a draw. If you go to an area with a higher moose density and a lower deer density you are just ( IMO ) shooting yourself in the foot. If i was you i would go somewhere with a fight deer density and hope for a Bullwinkle....... OR Go north Son! if you want a moose that bad,,, Go to 7 somewhere where you can drill an Immie and a few other "Slot moose"

Rob Chipman
08-29-2014, 12:00 PM
I don't think 3-32 opens until Oct 15 for the elusive reg. 3 immy, but I think OP is booked off Oct. 1.
I think east side of 3 opens Oct 1. Otherwise 3-32 is a great bet.

I always see see the immature either when the seasons closed or like last year, when they're with another bull and we've got a draw! I hope that latter rule applies this year - I'm going with two buddies with draws on two different hunts while immature are open :-)

Sofa King
08-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Up sunset main might be good

there'd be more up there if less were illegally killed.
the whole bear creek/sunset main area usually has a few mistakenly killed moose every season.
I found 4 myself one season.

Ltbullken
08-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Tunkwa and Kamloops general area is a good area. Try to find spots away from other hunters. Look for good moose habitat preferrably with fresh sign and call. Early Oct is a great calling period. Just have to accept that you might be calling in matures but I've had immy's come in too -- looking for 'seconds' I guess. Always lots of deer moving around. If you want better odds, you'd need to go up to the Peace Region, IMHO.

Sofa King
08-29-2014, 03:21 PM
I don't even hunt for moose anymore.
i'll have a tag though, in the event that I fluke-out and stumble upon one while deer hunting.

srthomas75
12-27-2014, 11:47 PM
what was the result of your moose trip? where did you end up going?

blackford
12-28-2014, 06:59 PM
I said the hell with it and went deer hunting instead up thru region 8. Tag soup. No moose. No deer but plenty of memories