PDA

View Full Version : Stolen deer?

hunting2014
08-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Flip to page 46-47 of your big buck magazine, summer 2014 edition. The story the author is preaching is full of drama, heroics and b.s. The monster 190" buck he shot was already wounded by someone else and was being tracked. It was shot on private land and headed toward the highway. The hunter went to retrieve his prize buck from the ditch, only to find drag marks where his buck lay. Someone had loaded his deer up and left. A year later, the buck shows up in big buck mag. with 2 guys in shorts that tracked the deer down and shot it with the one and only arrow they had! The photos attached were taken the day before. There is also more pictures and video of the buck being shot and running off.

hunting2014
08-27-2014, 08:56 AM
I can upload the video of it getting shot.

Barracuda
08-27-2014, 09:07 AM
1- so your saying a deer was wounded and ran off

2- another hunter came across a deer that was wounded and legally shot it and included it in his bag limit?

3- is it correct to assume that he did not know another hunter was in hot pursuit and he simply saw a deer that was legal in a legal place and shot it?

im a little confused ? is it the story of the deer hunt or the fact that a deer was wounded and ran off and was then killed by another hunter that is the issue?

Jagermeister
08-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Unless the "original" hunter actually saw the deer keel over down in the ditch and then someone loading it and driving off, the story the "original" hunter relates did not happen. It's sour grapes whether he shot it or not. The original hunter simply does not have the deer in hand.

luckofthedraw
08-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Sounds like a legit deer for hunter #2. Actually surprised this doesn't happen more often in some areas.

BigfishCanada
08-27-2014, 09:23 AM
I dont think the other hunters did anyting illegal, BUT if i skinned a trophy, only to find it had been previously shot and thats maybe why it was an easy kill for me, id far from call a magazine to publish my story. But again I dont know all the facts

Darksith
08-27-2014, 09:32 AM
hunter #2...its his deer. I wonder how wounded the deer was, was there an arrow in it or was it already dying soon to be dead? Not sure what I would do if anything if I shot a deer that was wounded...was the deer soaked in blood or just limping?

Darksith
08-27-2014, 09:32 AM
I can upload the video of it getting shot.

Lets see it!

Sofa King
08-27-2014, 09:54 AM
I dont think the other hunters did anyting illegal, BUT if i skinned a trophy, only to find it had been previously shot and thats maybe why it was an easy kill for me, id far from call a magazine to publish my story. But again I dont know all the facts

this.
I'd almost feel bad.

The Dawg
08-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Flip to page 46-47 of your big buck magazine, summer 2014 edition. The story the author is preaching is full of drama, heroics and b.s. The monster 190" buck he shot was already wounded by someone else and was being tracked. It was shot on private land and headed toward the highway. The hunter went to retrieve his prize buck from the ditch, only to find drag marks where his buck lay. Someone had loaded his deer up and left. A year later, the buck shows up in big buck mag. with 2 guys in shorts that tracked the deer down and shot it with the one and only arrow they had! The photos attached were taken the day before. There is also more pictures and video of the buck being shot and running off.

So they "stole" your deer? :)

BlackOwL
08-27-2014, 10:17 AM
I am not going to speculate on who did wrong, But if I found a wounded deer I will not shoot because I will know that some other hunter is tracking it.
It will be illegal to transport an animal not killed by Me.
I haven't been able to see the video evidence, But in not way I'll approve someone taking My wounded deer while I am tracking it.

Then again why hunter#2 shot a deer near a Highway.? what happened with the 400 Mts. restriction?

Fella
08-27-2014, 10:38 AM
If you kill it, technically it's not illegal to transport provided you cut your tag. The 400 metre restriction only applies to certain highways, look it up in the regs.

Fred1
08-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Sounds like hunter #2 is the winner! Feels kinda like a hollow victory though. Poppin him with an arrow and finding out hes was just shot? Maybe he wasnt shot that bad? Maybe his wound wasnt life threatening? I would have at least enclosed all the details of my story. But then I didnt read the article... Personally I would down play the story and attributed it to luck and said so - sounds like a better story! I would have taken him for certain though! Good lookin buck!

08-27-2014, 10:41 AM
400 meter restriction is the exception...
shooting a wounded deer is not wrong,,, your choice not to do it..... but, someone else will not be wron by doing it... what happens if the deer was shot by some jackwagon who just assumed he missed? Same possibility as someone tracking it....
if the person who is tracking this deer does not arrive on site while you are gutting and loading this deer how far back are they? how crappy was their shot? What if the deer got away?

look in the regs reguarding the 400 meter thing you will find 15 meters from the white line is far mor common,, and that only a small few highways are 400........ as for the rest,, its all anyones opinion and there is arguement for both cases....
no i wouldnt call big buck magazine about it ,,, but hell i wouldnt even if it wasnt wounded... not my thing... But they did nothing wrong that i know of by shooting it, Bar confirmation they were legal to....

Mikey Rafiki
08-27-2014, 10:50 AM
There is no way to know if a wounded deer was shot 2 hours ago or two seasons ago (unless it's spraying blood), or got hit by a car or fell off a cliff.

I would suggest there are a great number of deer wounded by hunters that die a slow painful death, so you can "hope" that there is someone tracking it, or you can legally and morally kill the animal yourself.

hunting2014
08-27-2014, 11:01 AM
What if both sides of the highway is an indian reserve and hunternumber 1 is a native? there is no crown land to hunt anywhere near there.

sherpa-Al
08-27-2014, 11:08 AM
when I was a kid, my Dad and I were hunting mule deer near 70 mile. As we rounded a tight bend in the road we spotted a huge 5x5 buck with 4 or 5 does down on the left of the vehicle. My dad go out and drilled the buck through the ribs, a killing shot for sure. The buck and does ran away, circling back to the direction of the road on where we had just come from. They slowed a bit as they statred to climb a small hill before cresting the road, my dad was trying to get another shot into the buck but the does were in the way so he held off. As soon as the big buck crested the road, now trailing behind the does the shooting started from the other side of the deer, 5 shots in total. After my dad cooled off a bit we turned the truck around and drove up there to find the big buck dead on the road and 2 happy hunters having a smoke. It was very obvious from the entrance and exit wounds who had shot this deer first, but it was just as obvious which group of hunters had put the finishing shot behind the ear of the buck. After some congratulations and a small side comment from my dad about not having to cut his tag now, we left the hunters to their deer. Bottom line is yes, my dad shot the deer first but the buck was still alive when he crossed the path of the other hunters and they had every right to try and harvest him. Did they see the large exit wound on his left side (the side that was revealed to them) before they shot? They certainly didn't offer that info in our conversation. It was an unfortunate turn of events for us but fortunate for a couple other hunters, we carried on hunting, my dad just shrugged the whole situation off (at least on the outside) reassuring my that there were plenty of 5 point mulies for everyone, today just wasn't our day.

Al

russm86
08-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Yea, no info on when the 1st hunter actually shot it. Was it even the same day? Maybe they had been "tracking" it for 2 days if it was only marginally wounded. Maybe had it not been for the 2nd hunter killing it, it would have never died from its original injuries. Also, if they were that minor the 2nd hunter may not have even noticed it was injured. Once in survival mode animals can be surprisingly tough and resilient. I say the only way the 2nd hunter would have done anything wrong was if he found the buck already dead and tagged it, saying he killed it, and took it home. Also, when someone wounds an animal, even if they are still tracking it, what or who says how much time should be given for them to recover and how much time would be deemed appropriate? Hours? Days? Weeks? Or none at all? As far as I know there is no actual law relating to this other than tagging an already dead animal as I mentioned above.

hunting2014
08-27-2014, 11:19 AM
This whole thing was forgotten about until these guys posed in Big Buck and hunter number 1 saw it! I think he had come to grips with losing it.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-27-2014, 11:50 AM
While I have not read those two issues of Big Buck, I'm pretty sure I know the buck in question.

Is this the buck??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dp9zuiwxI

If it is, you can see the buck raking his antlers so there's no way the filmer and the hunter would have any idea that it was previously shot.

Seems to me the first first hunter thought he was a better shot than he actually was.....if this is the buck in question.

SSS

lovemywinchester
08-27-2014, 01:25 PM

If you shoot ANY deer that would be a good reason to call a magazine buddy! :mrgreen:

Lukeez88
08-27-2014, 08:32 PM
I witnessed a very similar situation this past season. And coincidentally knew both parties involved. Hunter #1 (buddy of mine) shoots and wounds a buck. He is up near the top of the hill. The wounded buck escapes hunter #1 and disappears down into a ravine that runs down the mountain. Hunter #2 (my brother) is quite a ways down the mountain when the wounded buck runs across his path. He can tell the buck is injured but is still quite mobile. He chases the buck , and when he got a chance he pulled the trigger to harvest the buck. Meanwhile hunter #1 is tracking the buck and eventually catches up to hunter #2, who has already cut his tag. Hunter #1 congratulates hunter #2 for harvesting a beautiful buck.

I think that was exactly how a situation like this should play out. It seems like shooting the wounded animal is the only ethical thing to do. You can't leave a wounded animal and hope that the first guy will catch up with it to finish it off eventually . But obviously not the most satisfying feeling for either party.

I just dont think think I would be bragging to anybody about shooting an injured 190" buck. Especially in a magazine. Sure it looks good on the wall, but there really isn't any good feel good story to go with it. Doesn't make you a super hunter.

rides bike to work
08-27-2014, 10:14 PM
This happens to Archie Nesbit at cadomin mine sheep hunt.after 10 days of -20 He arrows a record ram from above it takes a few steps and is about to drop when boom from below another hunter shoots it off its feet. Archie was freekin swearing like crazy. But he let them cut their tag and take the huge ram.

Drillbit
08-27-2014, 10:49 PM
One fine fall day, a kid shot and wounded a huge Whitetail buck.
He then tracked it into private land.
He asked the landowner for permission to get his buck.
Permission denied.
Landowner gets the buck.

A full body mount with replica antlers can be seen at the till at Wholesale Sports in Saskatoon:)

This often comes up at hunting camp, "who deer is it?" "the guy that hits if first, or the guy that finishes it off?"
And really, it doesn't really matter, until the next world record is on the ground.

Caribou_lou
08-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Is he in Velvet in your first pics? Sure wasnt in Velvet in the Video I just watched. Awesome buck thats for sure.

Gateholio
08-27-2014, 11:37 PM
Looks like a nice buck! I bet Hunter #1 is kicking himself for not making a better first shot! :)

hunting2014
08-28-2014, 07:18 AM
The buck was in full velvet when my buddy shot it, I have to say that after reviewing the footage it might have smacked the shoulder blade and the deer got away without much injury. Kudos for hunter number 2 for killing the big buck buck however this buck was living smack dab in the middle of an indian reserve!

BULLNUTTS
08-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Great vid there SSS ,I think the beat would be a lil bit quiker there lol.
I have seen this situation lots through the years.Big Mulie Bucks are tough period.I have seen plenty harvested with three legs[usually two fronts and one hind] still going strong,fighting an breeding.Huge front ends on those.Also harvested myself and heard and seen lots others too with animals that had bullets and arrows in them but healed and doing fine.But the first shooters gotta admit his poor shooting or the buck just would'nt have gone so far as to be tracked so long and far as the others were already gone.Shot placement is everything especially on tough mature animals.Maybe lil buck fever???No shame in admitting that - we alll been there at some point.Peronally I watched as a shellshocked friend emtied his canon just 15 feet from a brute like that- only to watch the monster casually bounce out of sight unhindered,but a lil deaf from the canon fodder!!![He too has nightmares of that-but he takes deep slow breaths now boy before shooting] Good Huntin BULLNUTTS

Stone Sheep Steve
08-28-2014, 08:21 AM
The buck was in full velvet when my buddy shot it, I have to say that after reviewing the footage it might have smacked the shoulder blade and the deer got away without much injury. Kudos for hunter number 2 for killing the big buck buck however this buck was living smack dab in the middle of an indian reserve!

So, is it the same buck in the video that I posted??

if a big old buck gets shot with an arrow do you not think he would vacate the country and opt for a new location?

Ltbullken
08-28-2014, 09:00 AM
This should settle the argument. Ends here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cClB2iLAqts

08-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Right on for hunter 2 for robbing one from the FN!

Ltbullken
08-28-2014, 11:18 AM
You don't deserve any deer you cannot kill quickly! Hunter #2 wins.

hunting2014
08-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Check out this video, @ the 1:29 mark. The deer limps as it turns away, with an arrow hanging out of it. All of the area is indian reserve. Stolen deer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e25kOJfXmFU

Stone Sheep Steve
08-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Check out this video, @ the 1:29 mark. The deer limps as it turns away, with an arrow hanging out of it. All of the area is indian reserve. Stolen deer?

dude. The video I posted earlier is the buck in question. Obviously not hurt by the first shot whatsoever.

Fred1
08-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Ah yes Does look like hes limping a bit in the first video from SSS - couldnt see an arrow though. I would have taken him too! Bottom line... that deer was free game for hunter number 2!! Nice Buck!!

j270wsm
08-28-2014, 12:26 PM
The way the buck moved when it turned made me think it was wounded. When hunting we all know that it's not yours until its dead and in your possession( tag cut as well ). No way the buck was stolen!!!!!!!!!

hunting2014
08-28-2014, 12:28 PM
I don't see any feathers on their heads!

hunting2014
08-28-2014, 12:29 PM
maybe stolen is not the right word, poached is more accurate.

Fella
08-28-2014, 12:31 PM
I have a feeling this thread is about to go downhill

08-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Did anyone see who the 2 guys were on the video........Recognise them....... I did

08-28-2014, 12:37 PM

This video

deadlyshot19
08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
I have a feeling this thread is about to go downhill

**grabs popcorn**

hunting2014
08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
The debate about the second hunter shooting the deer is completely individual. I wouldn't worry about it too much if there are no other hunters around or it is an old injury. We each can make that call if and when it comes along. Hunter number 1 made a non-fatal shot and obviously the deer was hurt but probably going to survive. The moral issue of shooting on private property, indian reserve or national park for that matter has to be hanging overhead! The shoot and scoot bucks get killed all of the time in our area and to see guys in big buck magazine and on national tv posing like heroes is pathetic. Shame on you. Better have another Bone Beer before I get too pissy!

Stone Sheep Steve
08-28-2014, 12:42 PM
The buck had enough time to strip his velvet so he had enough time to move off reserve...although I don't have a clue about the area where this buck was shot.

Fella
08-28-2014, 12:49 PM
This video

I didn't recognize them but you obviously have. Fill me in!

08-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Seems like you are pressing a pretty ugly issue here Mr Just Joined and 9 posts of accusations in.....
maybe you should just drop it here... if you think you have something take it to the CO.... if not,,, dont come here and and point fingers.

hunting2014
08-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Maybe you are right 835 we can talk about something more interesting on this site and I can go back to looking at trail cam pics of 2 guys dragging out a deer on the rez!

The Dawg
08-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Post the vid then.

The Dawg
08-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Those are pretty big accusations.

08-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Then take the pictures to conservation, along with everything else. Let them deal with it.
Otherwise you are just looking like a poor sport who cant shoot.

Fred1
08-28-2014, 02:01 PM
ok... off to the female appreciation thread!!

hunting2014
08-28-2014, 02:04 PM
I didn't shoot the damn thing, I don't have permission to hunt in there either. Thought we were talking about something else?

Gateholio
08-28-2014, 02:11 PM
If you believe a law was broken , take it to the COs and report it. HBC is NOT the place to accuse people of poaching.