PDA

View Full Version : elk transplant region 1 and 2

fowl language
08-26-2014, 08:30 PM
if any one is interested, the forestry branch of bc is pushing to have the elk transplant program in region 1 and 2 shut down and have a big push of letter writers send in their concerns .the bcwf provincially and bcwf region 2 will be writing a letter in support of the transplant program. I suspect forestry can not cut down every tree with those damn elk there. we as british Columbians are consumptive users of these elk and need to be involved or we will lose this just as we are beginning to harvest more elk. I will put up an e mail address if you think you might support the transplant of elk.....dale region 2

Steeleco
08-26-2014, 08:50 PM
Dale, if you could give or direct us to some of the points we should be making in support of keeping the transplants I would be willing to draft a letter once I know where or to whom I'm sending it.

David

HarryToolips
08-26-2014, 08:59 PM
In moderation logging is a good thing I know, but it's too bad so many of these companies, like our corrupt Liberal Government, only care about the mighty $$...what about a petition rather than a letter would that work??

Sitkaspruce
08-26-2014, 09:12 PM
I want to know the reasons why they are dropping the transplant before I write letters. Funding?? Bios satisfied with elk numbers?? Where else are there plans to transplant elk??

And it is FLNRO that would be stopping the transplant, so I would assume the letters would go to Steve Thompson, Minister.

Cheers

SS

Fisher-Dude
08-26-2014, 09:15 PM
In moderation logging is a good thing I know, but it's too bad so many of these companies, like our corrupt Liberal Government, only care about the mighty $$...what about a petition rather than a letter would that work??

Petitions are meaningless. Anyone can sign a petition. Most don't even know what they are signing, and politicians know this, so they ignore them.

Letters take some effort and show your conviction on the isuue. They are far more effective, and when you write one, make sure you ask a direct question of your MLA so that he/she has to answer it.

BTW, don't blab on with rhetorical things like your baseless "corrupt" accusations, or your letter will get ignored too. There's a right way and a wrong way to get political responses and action, and false accusations is the wrong way.

fowl language
08-27-2014, 07:10 AM
just to be clear .this is a period of comment for the govt to take guidance from. they have not shut down the transplant ,but forestry would like that .if you have the time you can write to FishandWildlife.Nanaimo@gov.bc.ca ...the elk transplant just puts back what was there long ago .before forest practises ruined a lot of elk habitat .we as consumptive users should be able to take home some table fair for our family. these elk are managed by hunters so there should not be a problem....dale

Squire
08-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Elk are a problem with foresters because they eat a lot and make it almost impossible to restock harvested areas. Sustainable forestry isn't a problem for Elk; it's the other way around.

Any letter in support of the Elk transplant might be better received if it addressed the issues at hand and not those damned companies that only care about increasing the bottom line and those damned Liberals that allow them to.:roll:

biggyun68
08-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Here is the BCGov's white paper on the topic of Elk transplants:
Suspending transplants is not a mentioned management option...

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/RCO/external/!publish/FMLT%20Publish/North%20Island%20Central%20Coast/Oct%2010%202012%20Meeting/Roosevelt%20elk%20management%20plan%20discussion%2 0paper.pdf

HarryToolips
08-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Petitions are meaningless. Anyone can sign a petition. Most don't even know what they are signing, and politicians know this, so they ignore them.

Letters take some effort and show your conviction on the isuue. They are far more effective, and when you write one, make sure you ask a direct question of your MLA so that he/she has to answer it.

BTW, don't blab on with rhetorical things like your baseless "corrupt" accusations, or your letter will get ignored too. There's a right way and a wrong way to get political responses and action, and false accusations is the wrong way.
Sounds like good advice..

BlacktailStalker
08-27-2014, 11:29 PM
Good to know.
FYI right from Kim Brunt, I was told there is NO plan in effect for ungulates on V.I regarding logging.

adriaticum
08-28-2014, 08:45 AM
I know a guy who is involvedn in this and I will see him today.
GoatGuy should also know a few things about this.
Dale do you have any names?

fowl language
08-28-2014, 03:44 PM
I have been in touch with the region 1 president, a biologist for a large forest company who just confirmed what a buddies brother in law said about the elk .they would like to see a bit more hunting pressure. we need to write to address the issue that the transplant program is fully supported by hunters. we also need to include that we paid our way on the transplant and look forward to a larger harvest as the herds grow through out the region. there has been very little support of this transplant of elk by sportsmen and lots of negative replies from the forest industry. we need to be heard that we think this elk transplant is a good thing...we at region 2 are on top of it as is the provincial body and region 1. don,t let this stop you from writing as the more voices the better...dale

Elkhound
08-28-2014, 04:01 PM
hmmmmmmm I will be watching for info on this

biggyun68
08-31-2014, 12:25 AM
The letter I sent --- feel free to steal any bits to use in your own...

To whom it may concern:
I am writing to you to add my voice in support of Elk transplant programs in British Columbia and in particular the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island.
The programs have proven to be highly successful in re-establishing elk populations where they have historically been. This is a positive way to re-establish our historical ecosystem dynamics, increase the sustainability of the Elk species.
As a naturalist, hunter and supporter of cultural values I am excited that we are restoring an import large ungulate species back into areas that are accessible and closer to our denser populated areas of our province. This will not only re-establish elk as a game species for all cultures that hunt but also provide opportunities for all segments of the population to witness, become familiar with and eventually gain knowledge of this majestic and important natural species. This can only increase the understanding and support for conservation. I feel we owe it to our children and their children to “put back” what past generations have taken away. Last year, I was coming down from Grouse Mountain and a lone 4 point male elk was browsing under the sky ride. What a great natural event to witness on the steps of one of the world’s great cities.
I am also somber of the fact that re-establishing species into areas of the working forest, agriculture and even sub-urban areas comes with the consequence of conflicting interests. We as a society have learned that we can overcome conflict through bringing share and stakeholders together to develop science based management plans that work for all. Indeed volunteer based conservation groups and hunters have been the back bone of the re-establishment of elk and need to be a central member in any discussion on elk management.
I respect that there are some share and stake holders who struggle with elk populations. I understand that Foresters in particular struggle with re-established unmanaged elk who can be destructive to reforested cut blocks and juvenile plantations. I understand that the higher cost of reforestation in areas with unmanaged elk is ultimately shouldered by us... the tax payer. Foresters need to have their needs optimized but also need to work with other stakeholder to optimize their forest values too. Is this not part of their creed as a forester?
I put it to you that the ultimate benefits of re-establishing and properly managing elk outweigh the costs. And I do not support any suspension or moratorium of elk transplants. What I do support is shareholders and stakeholders working together to properly manage the interests and needs of all. I support science and factual based management plans that are implemented and supported by the authorities. I support a process that is universally equitable and equally implemented.
In closing I look forward to working with foresters and other share and stake holders in ensuring that elk are properly managed into the future.

Sincerely: