PDA

View Full Version : Heading out for some sox

deadlyshot19
08-26-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm heading out this weekend for a few days, probably make my way out to the sand heads and hopefully hook into some nice sockeye, anyone been catching any springs out there? A few buddies have been up to QC this year and landed some monsters, seems to be a solid year all over.. Hopefully hunting season is the same this year ;)

Sofa King
08-26-2014, 11:40 AM
my bro just finished a few days at nootka.
he said it was much slower than it was just a bit ago.
lack of rain is what the locals were saying, need some precip to get the schools moving again.
even so, a bad day fishin' is still better.................

deadlyshot19
08-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Isn't that the truth, well I'll see what I can pick up, might go for some ling too I'll be out for a few days. I should at least come home with some crab anyways..

MB_Boy
08-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Bite was apparently great at the North Arm this morning......I am headed out around 4.

Have definitely found the morning bite to be the best when we have been out.....and they are all over out there from the North Arm to Sandheads. 70ish feet on the downrigger with lots of flash and pink glo squirts has worked the best for us. Find a school....get hooked up and just work the concentrated area. Have also been finding when we see a school on the sounder a slight change in speed has been triggering bites for us.

lip_ripper00
08-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Bite was apparently great at the North Arm this morning......I am headed out around 4.

Have definitely found the morning bite to be the best when we have been out.....and they are all over out there from the North Arm to Sandheads. 70ish feet on the downrigger with lots of flash and pink glo squirts has worked the best for us. Find a school....get hooked up and just work the concentrated area. Have also been finding when we see a school on the sounder a slight change in speed has been triggering bites for us.

Hey if you see a white and grey kingfisher out their this aft....... give it wide berth it has been a few years since I have been in the salt fishing. New boat new electric downriggers it's going to be intertaining I'm sure! lol

MB_Boy
08-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Hey if you see a white and grey kingfisher out their this aft....... give it wide berth it has been a few years since I have been in the salt fishing. New boat new electric downriggers it's going to be intertaining I'm sure! lol

Hahaha.....sounds good and thanks for the heads up!!:tongue: :mrgreen:

We'll be on a 31' Pursuit with an orange Scotchman on the front port side wedged in the walkabout area. There may or may not be a cowbell ringing when a fish is on. :wink:

deadlyshot19
08-27-2014, 08:26 AM
Sounds good guys, I'll let you know how I make out.

MB_Boy
08-27-2014, 08:42 AM
Sounds good guys, I'll let you know how I make out.

Have been out about 5 or 6 times in the last 10-12 days. If I was going to suggest one thing....get out there real early as the morning bites have been way, way better than fishing the evening.

Also, even though you're fishing sox gear be prepared for a springer! Hooked one last night that took off like a freight train, fought it for a while and it sadly broke off at the Hoochie. :cry:

lip_ripper00
08-27-2014, 09:04 AM
I did not see a sox landed, however I did hook and land a beauty 20 lb spring, the boat was offically bloodied!

MB_Boy
08-27-2014, 09:17 AM
I did not see a sox landed, however I did hook and land a beauty 20 lb spring, the boat was offically bloodied!

We managed a couple and actually lost 2 as well. Congrats on the springer.....I was sure we had one coming into the boat too!!! :wink:

deadlyshot19
08-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Sounds good, has anyone ventured over to the gulf islands fishing? I'm heading over there on friday then was planning on scooting over to the sandheads on sunday morning. During pink runs I'm always catching tons of those off N Pender Isl and generally pick up a few sockeye in the process.

MB_Boy
08-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Sounds good, has anyone ventured over to the gulf islands fishing? I'm heading over there on friday then was planning on scooting over to the sandheads on sunday morning. During pink runs I'm always catching tons of those off N Pender Isl and generally pick up a few sockeye in the process.

This thread may be worth looking at the most recent posts.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?26192-Gulf-Islands-2014-Reports

deadlyshot19
08-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the link MB!

deadlyshot19
08-31-2014, 08:52 PM
Just got home from my weekend out.. Fished Active pass for a while yesterday, after a whole lot of nothing decided to blast up to Porlier Pass, quite a few guys out there but didn't see anyone picking up any fish. Decided to finish off the day fishing for some ling and managed to pick a decent one up. After staying the night on the hook between the secretary Isl and some minor repairs this morning I blasted over to the sandheads. Was a slow day out there as well managed to land a couple 7 lbs sox and lost two others. All in all it was successful weekend, came home with some dead stuff and got to spend the weekend out on the water!

Ovis17
08-31-2014, 08:57 PM
Was out at the Sandheads today. It was pretty good. Should've limited but lost a couple nice ones. Lots getting caught, I think I saw one guy with a spring. Probably 200 boats or so.

Spirit's Master
09-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Again, I know it's a LML thing but they are still making their way down to you.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/SpiritsMaster/20140831_1509440.jpg (http://s625.photobucket.com/user/SpiritsMaster/media/20140831_1509440.jpg.html)

Yesterday's haul from Deepwater Bay just North of Campbell River. Constant hits and wet nets everywhere.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/SpiritsMaster/20140901_143840_2.jpg (http://s625.photobucket.com/user/SpiritsMaster/media/20140901_143840_2.jpg.html)

Using Adriaticum's recipe and technique for the candy. Time will tell if we're successful.

cwf