PDA

View Full Version : Itchas

Rob Chipman
08-26-2014, 09:36 AM
I've always wanted to fly in to the Itchas, with the idea of combining a moose and caribou hunt. A buddy has been making noises about a last minute trip there during September. Problem is, our moose draw is later, and in a different area, so no moose for us in the Itchas this year. That leaves caribou.

Srupp mentioned last year that that herd had moved quite far away from the lake. Does anyone have any info that is more current for that area? Although I've never been to the Itchas I know the surrounding area a bit and have been up and down HWY 20 a lot, and I've flown in to Tsacha Lake to float the Blackwater a few times.

Any input is welcome! Thanks.

shallowH2O
08-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Might not be the year this year. Few large fires around. One at mount dent roughly 20km east and one larger one burning in between the 3900 rd and 4000rd out of nazko. Wind is pushing most of the smoke that direction

srupp
08-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Hmm bou are back in normal range..historically

Srupp

dbergen69
08-26-2014, 01:37 PM
I have not hunted that area for a few years but when we did we always had the most success in the alpine. We have seen some bulls in the grassy meadows closer to the lake and my Dad shot a really nice not far from the lake. I think in most years you should be able to hike from the lake with a reasonable chance at a bull. I am not sure much smoke there is or how much it is moving the caribou.

Summit 512
08-27-2014, 04:27 AM
Most of the wind comes out of the west there so should be very little smoke to speak of.

srupp
08-27-2014, 09:14 AM
Hmm the gorge and rock pit area is certainly unaffected...

Cheers
Steven