PDA

View Full Version : new crossbow, have some questions

bpeters
08-25-2014, 07:29 PM
my father and I just purchases a 225 lbs, 345 fps recurve crossbow and have a few questions regarding storage and broad heads. first off storing a recurve, is it ok to keep it strung or in doing so do you put unnecessary stress on the limbs? and to string it is it best to let a shop do it or are there some tricks to do it yourself. now to broad heads, in our area we are only hunting deer within 50 yards and have opted to use mechanical heads I am just wondering what is the best weight of head for deer and will shoot smoothly and accurately from this bow

bp

Darksith
08-25-2014, 07:59 PM
I am new to xbow as well, but at that speed I am suspecting that you don't want to use a mechanical broadhead...most have fps ratings, and my bow also is around the same speed...I couldn't find and was recommended to use solid broadheads. Nothing wrong with them either...

bpeters
08-25-2014, 08:06 PM
didn't know that mechanicals had fps ratings? do you know why that is ? will it initiate the expansion during flight or something?

Fisher-Dude
08-25-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't use mechanicals, and I keep my Excalibur strung.

YMMV.

Fred1
08-25-2014, 09:12 PM
I don't use mechanicals, and I keep my Excalibur strung.

YMMV.

x2 ........

aggiehunter
08-25-2014, 09:23 PM
as a recurve shooter I would suggest unstringing at least during the off season...it's easy to do.

steveo
08-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Not a crossbow bow guy but have picked up a few things along the way. Crossbow bolts unlike arrows are shorter than arrows so they are not as aerodynamic and should be used with a heavier head to get the weight out forward to balance the bolt better. I would run a 125 head and see how it flies, some experimenting will be in order. As far as broad heads, mechanicals should be fine because usually the recommendation is a faster bow so the mechanicals will open from better energy and speed than that of a slower recurve. Most newer hunting bows will fly an arrow as fast as your crossbow so the mechanicals should work from that aspect as well. If you are new to this whole game dealing with broadheads I would maybe stay with a fixed blade like a thunderhead 125 because mechanicals seem to have a few issues you may not want to deal with and probably every thing else will be enough for now.

Darksith
08-25-2014, 09:44 PM
didn't know that mechanicals had fps ratings? do you know why that is ? will it initiate the expansion during flight or something?

I imagine it will depend on the broadhead. The ones I was looking at said it right on the package. I think the initial thwang can make some open up which might make them less stable or less able to penetrate? Again I am a rookie, but I did see mechanicals with ratings on them, and the guy at WSS said I should stay away from them with an xbow that has a high fps

358mag
08-25-2014, 09:47 PM
as a recurve shooter I would suggest unstringing at least during the off season...it's easy to do.

Are recurve's still legal ?

bpeters
08-25-2014, 09:56 PM
yes recurves are still totally legal I got this one shipped to oroville Washington and haven't picked it up yet but there are no restrictions at the border apart from the fact that it has to be longer than 500 mm and cannot be fired from one hand

Liveforthehunt
08-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Are recurve's still legal ?

Why wouldn't they be ? And personal preference don't use mechanical I personally haven't had any problems with them but a few of my friends have and I was with them on separate occasions not impressed to say the least ..... Just more that can go wrong :) my 2 cents fixed broadheads

Fisher-Dude
08-25-2014, 10:07 PM
The 150 gr Excalibur broadheads I use for hunting hit bang on the same spot as the 150 gr field points I practice with.

Word of advice - don't shoot at the same target with an Excalibur without removing your first bolt. Split bolts cost money! ;)

steveo
08-25-2014, 10:23 PM
I would recommend an arrow puller as well because it makes life way easier. Not sure how easy it is to pull a bolt out of a target but carbon arrows are a pain in the but especially if your hands are sweaty. Mine looks like a rubber granade that is sliced almost in half like a hotdog bun. put the puller around your bolt and pull it out with ease instead of torquing on it damaging veins or even bending it slightly. I would also get a 3-d deer to shoot into because it improved my shooting mostly do to the mental aspect of shooting an animal shaped target instead of a block target. It makes cents to shoot the same shape in practice as you would in the field.

IronNoggin
08-26-2014, 09:49 AM
... first off storing a recurve, is it ok to keep it strung or in doing so do you put unnecessary stress on the limbs? and to string it is it best to let a shop do it or are there some tricks to do it yourself.

It is not necessary to remove the string from an Excalibur recurve for storage. Most that I know that have them (including myself) don't. Keep it stashed in a cool (not hot) room, and it will outlast you.

Stringing these bows is incredibly easy. Excalibur has an instructional video page at: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/content/instructional_videos
Scroll down the list, and you will see the one on the employ of their stringing aid.

now to broad heads, in our area we are only hunting deer within 50 yards and have opted to use mechanical heads I am just wondering what is the best weight of head for deer and will shoot smoothly and accurately from this bow

Mechanicals are fine for these bows. I use 125 grain NAP Spitfire broadheads, and they are Lethal on everything I've shot with them. They fly pinpoint accurate from most bows, and most certainly from my Matrix 380 (a tad quicker than the one you've acquired).
Another good option are Grim Reapers. Never used them, but my buddies that have seem well pleased with their performance.

Fixed blade heads are also fine. Boils down to a matter of preference in this regard methinks.
Most common fixed blade amongst those that use Excalibur (and other crossbows) is likely the Slick Tricks head. I know form experience they fly very well.

Excalibur has it's own Forum where one can learn a lot from some rather friendly and well informed folks: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/index.php
Well worth a visit regardless of your experience level. :wink:

Cheers,
Nog