PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts

mcmullmar
08-25-2014, 03:24 PM
I was driving home today and started wondering, do you think it would be beneficial to have signs made and posted like this

Attention:
Legal hunting may be in progress in this area.
It is illegal to interfere with legal hunting.
For more information please contact your local CO or BCWF

I think if something is posted, and people are aware that it is legal to hunt in the area, when guns go off (legally) they wont get so scared and call the cops. Or better yet, find a different place to walk, and if it is posted maybe the non hunters would not feel the need to interfere.
Just a thought.

carnivore
08-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Maybe a sign like that should be posted on the Tahltan road block .:twisted:

john.b
08-25-2014, 05:06 PM
This>>>>>>>
Maybe a sign like that should be posted on the Tahltan road block .:twisted:

ducktoller
08-25-2014, 10:55 PM
It might make the crazy anti's run around to stop hunters anyways

Gateholio
08-25-2014, 11:48 PM
Must be hunting near a populated area?

I don't think I'd ever use a sign like that. Frankly, I don't care if someone calls the police. I'm legal.

Sofa King
08-26-2014, 12:35 AM
^^ditto.
sounds like op must be hunting in some pressured areas and possibly fairly busy with the public in general.
sounds kinda like Okanagan mt park.
right amongst where hunting is going on, there's hikers, mountain bikers, etc.

but I agree, I wouldn't bother wasting time with signs.
if you are legal, then there's nothing to worry about.
and if it's a case of that people are disturbing the area by hiking through or something, they technically aren't interfering with a hunt.
best way to avoid all hassles is to find more private, remote hunting areas.

Foxton Gundogs
08-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Waterfowler in the LML/Valley would be my guess, we have had people walk right out into our spread on private property to admonish the ' blood thursty murderers'

B-rad
08-26-2014, 10:14 AM
I LOVE the sign idea,,,,,,where I do alot of goose hunting on the river,,,,,,there still people salmon fishin,,,,and would be nice if people knew of possible bird hunters on the beaches,,,,,,without scaring the crap out of em with gun fire

nano
08-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Must be hunting near a populated area?

I don't think I'd ever use a sign like that. Frankly, I don't care if someone calls the police. I'm legal.

I was the same way till it happened to me. It made for a long day of explaining the regs to the officer while seeing flocks of ducks land in my spread.

mcmullmar
08-26-2014, 06:14 PM
Yes I'm in the Lower Mainland. For those of you who are in smaller cities where you can just find a more private place I envy you. I have yet to hunt down here due to the amount of people using the same areas as me. Thought the sign might just give them a heads up, so not to give them a heart attach when a round of gun fire goes off close to them

f350ps
08-26-2014, 07:50 PM
I thought you were starting some club or something, why don't ya starting hunting first then after a few years if ya think we need something have atter! Jmho, K

fowl language
08-26-2014, 08:39 PM
the signage is just a courtesy thing in delta. it makes people aware that hunting season is on and if they disagree with it ,not to walk there....dale

Papa Sasquatch
08-26-2014, 09:09 PM
Like Martha what's her name would say, "It's a good thing!".

storm
08-26-2014, 10:15 PM
I think u hunters should just leave the marsh all together so everybody can enjoy , especially the brunswick point so I can enjoy my walks and watch the ducks and geese!!

Cedar Cowgirl
08-26-2014, 11:23 PM
"Storm", you do realize this is a hunting website don't you? It seems pretty simple to me, the waterfowlers are pursuing a heritage that has been around for centuries, and is as much a part of the area toy speak of as the birds themselves.. They are providing a natural source of protein for their families that is not contaminated by steroids, antibiotics and hormones. They are putting 100s of 1000s of dollars into the local economy and into conservation of the wet lands and it's wildlife. They are keeping a balance in the population which prevents ugly deaths of wildlife like disease and starvation. They are helping to protect the crops and farmlands that produce food you eat as well as doing their part to keep public recreation areas free disease carrying waterfowl excrement.
My husband, friends and some of the finest people I know are waterfowlers who put more back into the environment by far, than they ever take out so people such as yourself will enjoy watching the wildlife for generations to come. If you do not care to share their world with them there is always the local parks for bird watching in their "natural" environment.

f350ps
08-27-2014, 07:29 AM
I think u hunters should just leave the marsh all together so everybody can enjoy , especially the brunswick point so I can enjoy my walks and watch the ducks and geese!!
Yer getting better every post, never get skunked on here, always a few that'll bite!! K

Foxton Gundogs
08-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Kelly it's never a 'bite' when someone is passionate enough to defend OUR way of way of life. People need to stand up for their heritage loud and proud even if it's against a TROLL

biggyun68
08-27-2014, 09:24 AM
So Storm is a member since 2008 and has made 11 posts - 1 in the last 3 months --- As we used say in the early 90's --- "Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm?"

BlackOwL
08-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Is an excellent idea,
1. It will stop any intention from hikers or others to harrass You.
3. Educates People regarding hunting season and hunting areas.
3. It shows the legality of Our Hunting Heritage and right to Hunt.
4. Avoids any surprises and accidents for both hikers and hunters if someone walks unexpectedly out of the bush.
5. People will now that a shot is not a criminal activity.
6. Parents will have more control on their Children. (Dog Owners too).

But Always: Make Sure Of Your Target and Beyond

field marshal
08-27-2014, 10:31 AM
The MOE actually put up some signs informing the public, about hunting activity in the Cowichan estuary! It doesn't seem to work very well???:confused:
Either we have some of the densest people on the planet here, or they don't comprehend the English language at all. I suspect the real reason is their minds are already made up ,regarding hunting. The signs are either pulled down or obscured with spray paint!! I used to ignore the insults hurled at us
by the "bunny huggers" and local "birders"!! In my old age I give back as good as I get. Reasoning with an ignoramus' is not an option anymore.
I've given our local CO a heads-up, that I want charges laid against any harassment directed at us during our legal seasonal activities??
We'll see how it plays out this campaign? Cheers ---Field Marshal.

bc sportsman
08-27-2014, 11:13 AM
One disadvantage to the signs is that it may generate problems. Education is good but people who never thought about someone hunting the area and suddenly become aware of it may start an anti driven "campaign". So...some thought needed as to best strategy and when. There is no such thing as one solution for all circumstances. My humble opinion for what its worth...goes up once there is a controversy.

f350ps
08-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Kelly it's never a 'bite' when someone is passionate enough to defend OUR way of way of life. People need to stand up for their heritage loud and proud even if it's against a TROLL
Maybe get your partner to walk over and straighten him out!! K

mcmullmar
08-27-2014, 01:24 PM
I thought you were starting some club or something, why don't ya starting hunting first then after a few years if ya think we need something have atter! Jmho, K

FYI:
I have been hunting and fishing for over 40 years. So yes I have been out there.
There was not a lot of interest in starting a new club.
Maybe you should get off you high horse before responding to posts. I was simply asking for everyone's thoughts. Not asking for anything else.

f350ps
08-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Yes I'm in the Lower Mainland. For those of you who are in smaller cities where you can just find a more private place I envy you. I have yet to hunt down here due to the amount of people using the same areas as me. Thought the sign might just give them a heads up, so not to give them a heart attach when a round of gun fire goes off close to them
Forgive me for misinterpreting what you said, I will still stand by what I said. How do you know that we have a problem?? I'm off my high horse now, cheers!! K

mcmullmar
08-27-2014, 02:00 PM
With the areas we are allowed to hunt in getting smaller, our rights getting less and less, we can't even have a gun show in Surrey for crying out loud, or any more gun shops. Pitt Marsh only open Wednesdays, Saturday and Sundays. It wasn't always that way. All we hear in the news is anti hunting. I just feel that we need to let people know what we are doing is not against the law, we have the legal right to be there and doing what we are doing. We are not blood thirsty, murderers who kill for the sake of killing (well most of us anyway :) )
I'm getting tired of seeing our rights being taken away, by people who don't understand. Our voice needs to be herd, but no one wants to hear it.
I think everyone should be able to enjoy nature. Wether you hunt , bird watch or walk the dykes. I feel if people knew there was hunting allowed in the area, it would make it better for everyone.

f350ps
08-27-2014, 02:29 PM
I like your enthusiasm, I just haven't had many issues with the public. More to do with where I hunt I guess. Cheers K

fowl language
08-27-2014, 04:02 PM
if any of you would like to see your hunting heritage continue ,I suggest you form a hunting committee within your town or municipality. if you would like a guideline to do this ,we have had a hunting committee in delta for many years and it works well.in fact we have even got some areas reopened to hunting. .now is time to put up or shut up....fowl

pnbrock
08-27-2014, 04:24 PM
fowl is absolutely correct on his post!!

lorneparker1
08-28-2014, 09:29 PM
The MOE actually put up some signs informing the public, about hunting activity in the Cowichan estuary! It doesn't seem to work very well???:confused:
Either we have some of the densest people on the planet here, or they don't comprehend the English language at all. I suspect the real reason is their minds are already made up ,regarding hunting. The signs are either pulled down or obscured with spray paint!! I used to ignore the insults hurled at us
by the "bunny huggers" and local "birders"!! In my old age I give back as good as I get. Reasoning with an ignoramus' is not an option anymore.
I've given our local CO a heads-up, that I want charges laid against any harassment directed at us during our legal seasonal activities??
We'll see how it plays out this campaign? Cheers ---Field Marshal.

We are of the same mindset up here now a days.

Foxton Gundogs
08-29-2014, 10:08 AM
We are of the same mindset up here now a days.

Ditto 'Gentleman'

biggyun68
08-30-2014, 08:53 AM
I am a hunting show addict and watch shows from europe and the states on Youtube:
If there is something that is homogeneous to western society and that is the entitlement of dog walkers and birders:
Consistently, they trespass and intentionally disrupt hunts from Russia to Mexico to Canada...
Being a city kid and one who grew up on the West side I know where these folks come from ... where I grew up or areas like it...

They are the people who move next to a park and complain their are children playing in it all the time...

They are selectively moronic and therefore a sign reminding them they can read and think is a good thing....

I also believe that it would be nice if more of these folks wound up with trespassing or disrupting a legal hunt charges some of the smarter ones may just change their attitude.

Foxton Gundogs
08-30-2014, 09:44 AM
I am a hunting show addict and watch shows from europe and the states on Youtube:
If there is something that is homogeneous to western society and that is the entitlement of dog walkers and birders:
Consistently, they trespass and intentionally disrupt hunts from Russia to Mexico to Canada...
Being a city kid and one who grew up on the West side I know where these folks come from ... where I grew up or areas like it...

They are the people who move next to a park and complain their are children playing in it all the time...

They are selectively moronic and therefore a sign reminding them they can read and think is a good thing....

I also believe that it would be nice if more of these folks wound up with trespassing or disrupting a legal hunt charges some of the smarter ones may just change their attitude.

Now that post sir is NO MISFIRE 3 thumbs up great insight

Marsh Hawk
08-30-2014, 10:24 PM
My suggestion here would be to continue hunting and if someone comes along that interrupts your hunt by scaring off birds etc. then phone the local police and insist on them being charged with interfering with a lawful hunt. Don't let the RCMP ignore you as long as you're in the right. We have had to deal with issues like this in the past and as the lower mainland gets more crowded we will run into more problems unfortunately. If your interested in forming a Hunting Committee in your area get in touch with me as I've been on Delta's committee for around 20 years. Good luck

MichelD
08-31-2014, 11:12 AM
There are signs in some places in the Lower Mainland put up by regional districts or municipalities on dike approaches stating that an area is used by hunters September to March.