PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hunted near Loon lake off hwy97 n around Kentucky Alleyne lake

Cold Blooded
08-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Hey guys so just wanted to get some insight, I'm headed out for my first hunting season this year n I'm gonna start it off with bow season since I've been shooting bows for years. Has anyone heard if this area is productive in muleys or white tail? I think its mu 3-6. Just thought I'd mention also that i was plannin on backpacking in to the bush (for bout 2-3 day) hunt n setting up my base camp n I don't use ATVs I'll be packing it all. I also was wondering if there's much upland game birds around there worth shooting for some mid day lunch ?
Thanx for ur tips

HarryToolips
08-25-2014, 12:28 PM
I believe you mean region 8-06.........hunted around there a bit, didn't see anything extraordinary..but the sign is there...

Stone Sheep Steve
08-25-2014, 12:29 PM
It's region 8 and borders on region 3.

While you could backpack, I doubt you'd break a sweat before you crossed another road.

SSS

markomoose
08-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Welcome to HBC!Hmmm first post eh?No joke?

139grainsofhell
08-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Check your regs if your going from the 1st to 9th most birds are closed never hunted that area but it's probly worth a shot.

Cold Blooded
08-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Ya 8-6, I don't got my map book infant of me right now probs should of double before posting lold.
I'm pretty sure depending on the direction u head u could definitely stay clear of roads n stay in the backwoods
Ya im familiar with looking up species licences n dates was just wondering if anyone knew or has seen any particular birds species around ther.
Seems a good mix of country right there

pnbrock
08-25-2014, 02:06 PM
jelvis is this you?

Cold Blooded
08-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Nope
I'm Zach lol

Seeker
08-25-2014, 02:57 PM
I am with SSS on this one, unless the temp is over 25, you won't break a sweat b4 crossing another road. Also a lot of Douglas lake ranch "no trespassing" posted areas in there (parts of the shores and surrounding area of Loon lake itself). Mule deer for sure, whitetails have moved into the area in recent years, so you could stumble on either. This area can be dumb hot at that time of year, you should have a way of getting meat out in a hurry, on the back is not always the best in such scenarios. As for birds, I have seen Spruce, Ruffed and Blue all in the area. Good luck!

SAVAGEONE
08-25-2014, 03:32 PM
There is a fair bit of territory between Kentucky /alleyne lakes and loon lake. Loon lake is in 3-30,turn off@ 20 mile house off hwy 97probably too early for deer and game birds.

mike-juliet
08-26-2014, 10:42 AM
There is a fair bit of territory between Kentucky /alleyne lakes and loon lake. Loon lake is in 3-30,turn off@ 20 mile house off hwy 97probably too early for deer and game birds.

He means the Other Loon Lake off 97C, one of about 14,563 Loon Lakes in North America. Bluey lake, Buck Lake, Vinson lake are all in the vicinity of the 97C Loon Lake.

Cold Blooded
08-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Ok thanx for ur input. My idea was try near loon lake n then try from the south end of Kentucky lake heading south down to bluey lake n south of there. I know this area can still be pretty hot I'm sept so I'm planning on field dressing it n quatearing on the spot if I bag something, n I'll try n head out that day or early next morning.
I also have heard on the other side of hwy97 is a good option to consider instead mu 3-12?
any thought on giving it a shot there instead
n if so which u think of north of boot lake n paradise lake area?