PDA

View Full Version : Trappers,, found a den not sure what from

Brett
08-25-2014, 08:12 AM
So out for a "walk" in the bush yesterday and walked up behind a giant fir tree and saw mounds of dirt on the far side and a worn down path with NO greens on it at all for fist 30'.. loaded my rifle and watched my dog( i couldn't stop her at that point) walk around the front give a smell and ignore it.... there is a hole under this giant tree about 3' round and the first part is about 3 feet deep then, it goes into another hole and is pitch black, looks real deep and i wasn't getting close enough to really look :) found some soft grey black fur on the path about 20' away..a clump..

i didn't take pics but did waypoint it... so i've looked online and it looks like a wolf den or cougar den ???

do they only use these for birthing?
will they use them again?
i know the trapper in the area, he started trapping last year, what do any of you think would be the best plan to harvest what ever it happens to be?

i'm going to put a camera on it and will follow up with pics if they come

leadpillproductions
08-25-2014, 09:06 AM
grey black fur sounds like a wolf den . Get some pics be neat to see whats using .

deadlyshot19
08-25-2014, 11:27 AM
I would be going with a wolf den as well.. Would be interesting to see what a trail cam picks up!

BCBRAD
08-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Gray fur, thinking old cougar but no cigarette butts or Kokanee cans were reported, could be a samsquackch lair, or even a 'hide' for a Japanese soldier who may not know the war is over. I'm sure your camera will ultimately find the maker.

steveo
08-25-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm thinking bear den if your dog didn't piss or crap in the immediate area. If it was a wolf den you would think there should be enough scent around to get more reaction from your dog.

Brett
08-25-2014, 06:33 PM
She hates bears.. And freaks when she she's them.. Mind you she's never smelled one either hmm trail cam is in order

steveo
08-25-2014, 07:11 PM
What was the lay of the land where this den is ? Wolves quite often will den near a body of water usually down on the valley bottom near a river.