PDA

View Full Version : Need clarification on elk season in Kooteneys

rafike
08-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Hi everyone
I just spent a week in the Kimberly area and saw some great country, I was disturbed when l looked at the regs and read they have a cow elk season but only
on private land . When I looked up the land on the govt web site it led me private properties that charge out at $250 a day to hunt, is this true or am l miss reading this. Could someone please clarify why the ministry is promoting hunting on land that is charging resident hunters.

boxhitch
08-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Hunt is open on private lands , some owners get on the list and choose to charge a trespass fee and should be boycotted. There are other lands available , but they take more work.

Bugle M In
08-25-2014, 02:17 AM
hunt is open on private lands , some owners get on the list and choose to charge a trespass fee and should be boycotted. There are other lands available , but they take more work.

x2.............

huckleberry
08-25-2014, 05:05 AM
Private Land Management cow Elk Hunting,New for fall 2014 MOE has instated a private land antlerless elk management hunt. These hunts will be restricted to select private land lots within MU's 4-20 and 4-22. http://env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/maps.html
The two seasons will be:
Senior/Youth Sept 10th - 19th
All hunters Sept 20th - 30th
Details can be found at www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1416/docs/region_4.pdf (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1416/docs/region_4.pdf)

properties and contact infoThree Bars Ranch
Anyone interested in hunting on Three Bars private land must have valid BC hunting licence. Hunters must be paying guest of the resort in order to be eligible for hunting access.

Day rates are: (hunters must first be resort guest to apply)
$250 for 24 hour hunting access
$300 Deer processing fee
$500 Elk processing fee
Contact the ranch for availability info@threebarsranch.com

Hunters will have exclusive hunting access to all ranch private property. Processing fee will include transport from field and cold storage for the duration of your stay. Guest will also have the option of adding Guest Ranch activities for an additional fee.

For more info on mapping visit http://env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/maps.html
At this Three Bars Ranch is the only property accepting reservations, all other properties are booked. Please check back for updates.
Looks like the Three Bars Ranch has gotten special treatment by the Fish and Wildlife service.
Their the only private ranches in zone 4-20 or 4-22 to have a cow elk season. You also have to be a paying guest at the ranch for big bucks to be able to hunt their lands. Obviously the elk aren't an much a concern as a eating their crops, just a money grab. Just the start of private land hunting.

Trapper
08-25-2014, 05:36 AM
Private Land Management cow Elk Hunting,

New for fall 2014 MOE has instated a private land antlerless elk management hunt. These hunts will be restricted to select private land lots within MU's 4-20 and 4-22. http://env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/maps.html
The two seasons will be:
Senior/Youth Sept 10th - 19th
All hunters Sept 20th - 30th
Details can be found at www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1416/docs/region_4.pdf (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1416/docs/region_4.pdf)

properties and contact info

Three Bars Ranch
Anyone interested in hunting on Three Bars private land must have valid BC hunting licence. Hunters must be paying guest of the resort in order to be eligible for hunting access.

Day rates are: (hunters must first be resort guest to apply)
$250 for 24 hour hunting access
$300 Deer processing fee
$500 Elk processing fee
Contact the ranch for availability info@threebarsranch.com

Hunters will have exclusive hunting access to all ranch private property. Processing fee will include transport from field and cold storage for the duration of your stay. Guest will also have the option of adding Guest Ranch activities for an additional fee.

For more info on mapping visit http://env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/maps.html
At this Three Bars Ranch is the only property accepting reservations, all other properties are booked. Please check back for updates.
Looks like the Three Bars Ranch has gotten special treatment by the Fish and Wildlife service.
Their the only private ranches in zone 4-20 or 4-22 to have a cow elk season. You also have to be a paying guest at the ranch for big bucks to be able to hunt their lands. Obviously the elk aren't an much a concern as a eating their crops, just a money grab. Just the start of private land hunting.

Well that's bull crap. sounds more like a guiding service...... first I have heard about this

J_T
08-25-2014, 05:44 AM
The agriculture and ranching community complain there are too many elk. While they 'say' they want less elk, letting hunters on their land to reduce the elk numbers is not what they want. So we can assume, the complaining they've been doing to the Ministry is not about too many elk.

What the ranchers 'see' is elk on their land, and they consider them their elk, and an asset. That they can now charge a fee for the privilege to hunt. I think that's what they've wanted all along. A way to sell more rooms at the inn.

rafike
08-25-2014, 06:00 AM
I am also curious to know if these farmers are getting compensation for elk crop and fence damage from govt. This is unbelievable, our ministry selling off our resident hunting rites. This is the start, mark my words.

.300WSMImpact!
08-25-2014, 06:26 AM
USA here we come

OutWest
08-25-2014, 06:50 AM
I am also curious to know if these farmers are getting compensation for elk crop and fence damage from govt. This is unbelievable, our ministry selling off our resident hunting rites. This is the start, mark my words.

The Ministry is not selling off your hunting rights. Read what Boxhitch said.

bckoothunter
08-25-2014, 07:02 AM
Don't forget that you have to be a guest at the Three Bars Ranch before you can pay your extra $250/day to hunt. Then they charge you $500 for a harvest fee, tell me that's not profiting off a public resource?? Great opportunity for youth and seniors, horsesh**. All this season did was make Three Bars a bunch of cash off of a public resource and allow the other land owners to let their friends and families shoot cows and spikes off their property. This was not a season "open to the public", it was managed privately by a few land owners who could charge whatever they wanted and allow whoever they wanted onto their land. If land owners were in need of elk population reductions on their property, why was the limited entry system not utilized for youth and seniors? No bias, no profit, no BS. I think it's time that people who are against this write a letter to the MLA.

Tuffcity
08-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Well, they won't make any money of resident hunters if no one goes.... just sayin'.

RC

Fisher-Dude
08-25-2014, 08:11 AM
Well, they won't make any money of resident hunters if no one goes.... just sayin'.

RC

What he said.

Douglas Lake Ranch charges for fishing. This is no different. I'm just a bit dismayed that the govt gives them any free advertising though.

bckoothunter
08-25-2014, 09:01 AM
What he said. I agree that it shouldn't be supported, however is that really the solution? Should the people responsible for decisions like this not be held accountable?

Douglas Lake Ranch charges for fishing. This is no different. I'm just a bit dismayed that the govt gives them any free advertising though.

I disagree, fishing is managed totally different than hunting. Any person can become a fishing guide, on any body of water, there is a very simple process required to do this. By the same token, all citizens have uninhibited access to fish what and where they want.

Fisher-Dude
08-25-2014, 09:54 AM
By the same token, all citizens have uninhibited access to fish what and where they want.

Ever tried fishing any of the lakes on DLR? There is, at this point, no access to the public.

08-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Charging trespass fees for hunting should be illegal. In the US, guide/outfitters have locked up vast expanses of private land by paying landowners to deny access to any other hunters. We cannot allow this to happen, and I will be writing to my MLA.

Gateholio
08-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Before I freak out about trespass fees, I think it's important to get the whole picture. Not much of BC is actually private land, and I'm not sure it's any of my business what a private landowner charges to enter his land.

More important would be accountability in regards to receiving crop damage compensation. The onus should be on the landowner to prove that they are doing their part to reduce crop damage with fences and allowing hunters access prior to any payments.

Dannybuoy
08-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Before I freak out about trespass fees, I think it's important to get the whole picture. Not much of BC is actually private land, and I'm not sure it's any of my business what a private landowner charges to enter his land.

More important would be accountability in regards to receiving crop damage compensation. The onus should be on the landowner to prove that they are doing their part to reduce crop damage with fences and allowing hunters access prior to any payments.

What he said !

bckoothunter
08-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Allowing land owners to charge the public to access their property for hunting GOS animals is one thing, however in my opinion it is not acceptable for the government to create special seasons for what are normally not considered GOS animals (in this case cow and spike bull elk) and allow private land owners to profit from these seasons. The general public has no other opportunity to participate in this special season and therefore is at the mercy of the private land owners. I believe this to be totally different than a GOS where hunters can choose to hunt the same species, with the same restrictions, on public or private land.

russm
08-25-2014, 11:26 AM
If you don't want people hunting on your land that should be the end of it, it's an issue for people if you knock on their door and ask permission and you'll probably be told no but knock on that same door with a pocket full of cash and suddenly it's no big deal, if it's posted as private/no hunting that should be the end of it. And are the processing fees for them to process your animal or for you to have the "right" to process your animal on their "private" land?

08-25-2014, 02:07 PM

I don't hunt private land, and it's true that most of BC is public land, however, wild elk and deer are a public resource, and as such I'm against any privatization of this resource. With exorbitant trespass fees, harvest fees, processing fees, etc, there is the potential for incentivizing landowners to sequester elk and deer on their property (through feeding, minerals, etc), and profit from those with enough disposable income to hunt them. I just don't like it.

Fisher-Dude
08-25-2014, 02:21 PM
What do you guys think of the guide-outfitters who have arrangements with landowners, and pay an access fee to hunt our public resource?

Likewise, how many have paid the Indian band for access to go bison hunting? Is this different?

Striksfromabove
08-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Not quite true about freshwater guiding being accessible to everyone. The Province regulates freshwater river guiding in some areas and guides pay fees for exclusive "rights" to fish those waters...Government endorsed and administered.

ukeehunt
08-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Complete bs

Gateholio
08-25-2014, 08:13 PM
I don't hunt private land, and it's true that most of BC is public land, however, wild elk and deer are a public resource, and as such I'm against any privatization of this resource. With exorbitant trespass fees, harvest fees, processing fees, etc, there is the potential for incentivizing landowners to sequester elk and deer on their property (through feeding, minerals, etc), and profit from those with enough disposable income to hunt them. I just don't like it.

Keeping them on private land is not something I've thought of, but aren't the majority of these tags for elk other than trophy bulls? Are people going to pay that much to hunt a cow?

There might be a win/win situation here. Again it's one of those abstract ideas that would need lots of cooperation. Come up with a system that administers landowner fees, crop predation etc. Tie the whole thing together and administer hunters, landowners getting a reasonable fee for access to their land and compensation based on their willingness to work with hunters.

I think there is a solution out there. Outlawing tresspass fees just means it goes underground.

boxhitch
08-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Come up with a system that administersExcept Gov't wants to run things with less administration.

The next step down the slope will be landowner tags that he can do with what he wants.

GreyDog
11-14-2014, 10:41 PM
This is a case where the Gov't has created a season to mollify the ranchers in the area. At the same time, they are apparently able profit from it. The result of the special season has been to reduce the elk herd by at least 70%; more in some areas. The East Kootenay region is a an example of how it is possible to screw up any game population with proper mismanagement.
Not satisfied with the elimination of most of the elk, we also have the whitetail doe season with a bag limit of two deer. Deer numbers are, not surprisingly, dropping significantly. Most hunters will tell you, with a straight face, that this is because of all the wolves in the area. GD

jacksondog
11-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Nothing like spending $1000 for a 1 day hunt. 250 for 24hrs and if you are successfull a 500 process fee plus what they charge you to stay at the resort for a night and on top of that you haven't got yourself to the reort from home yet. No thanks, I will take my chances killing bulls during the GOS. Americanized hunting is not my thing. This has nothing to do with managing these so called nuesance elk and everything to do with land owners manipulating the system for personal gain.

hunter1947
11-15-2014, 07:54 AM
If this is the case the hell with the land owners don't hunt there property they are getting paid from us hunters to take care of controlling the elk population on there property let them control the surrounding elk on there property ,,should be the other way around us hunter that have permission to hunt there property should be getting the 250.00 when we take a cow out..

rides bike to work
11-15-2014, 10:32 AM
I heard most of these ranches where fully booked all of elk season lots of deep pockets out there I wonder if a ranch is able to sponsor a Albertan

happyhunter
11-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Nobody's paying $750 to shoot a cow or a spike. I wonder if these ranchers have any big bulls frequenting their properties

j270wsm
11-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Insurance companies should refuse payment for any farmers that refused hunters on their property.

drakfero
11-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Somebody should do something about this! Why to compansate someone who doesnt care and wants to just profit? If they had high fences and elk would still do demage , i wouldnt say anything..

aggiehunter
11-16-2014, 10:27 PM
why would a rancher complain about having Elk when he can get money for them like the GO/Ranchers do on WildTv...it just seems the price is a little cheaper in BC that's all.