PDA

View Full Version : Black tail or Mule deer?

CoqTrophys
03-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Just wondering what you guys thaught about where you can truly draw the line on where your actually hunting blacktails and not a mulie/blacktail cross breed? I see a lot of people posting pics of skagit and chilliwack lake deer but are they really 100% blacktail? Any thaughts would be appreciated.

First post for me on this site by the way.

hunter1947
03-08-2007, 05:24 AM
I think that the mainland should be on its own and the island have it,s own record book ,there is really no place to draw the line on the main land ,deer can migrate to anywere when there on the mainland. hunter 1947.

3kills
03-08-2007, 06:45 AM
depends on who u talk to...i know some people on here say they are 100% blacktail....guess they have some kinda secert invisble wall that stops mulies from going through....

mark
03-08-2007, 07:40 AM
depends on who u talk to...i know some people on here say they are 100% blacktail....guess they have some kinda secert invisble wall that stops mulies from going through....

Ya that imaginary line stops muleys from crossing, but yet there are whitetales in the fraser valley! :rolleyes:

MB_Boy
03-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Ya that imaginary line stops muleys from crossing, but yet there are whitetales in the fraser valley! :rolleyes:

Mark.......I hope I am not falling for a sarcastic comment but are there really whitetails that have made it down to the valley?

Not really amazed by it but just had not heard of it.

lip_ripper00
03-08-2007, 10:07 AM
theirs a growing population on Herrling Island just out side Chilliwack

mrdoog
03-08-2007, 10:08 AM
In regards to Whitetails in the Fraser Valley, there is info in the regulations about a small herd on Herrling Island.

mrdoog
03-08-2007, 10:10 AM
oops, sorry, lip_ripper, didn't mean to step on your toes

CoqTrophys
03-08-2007, 04:06 PM
If a record blacktail is taken in the chilliwack area is there any way of telling if the deer has cross breeded or is it purely based on where the animal was taken? If it has blacktail features but mule deer genes is there any way of telling?

bighornbob
03-08-2007, 04:13 PM
DNA testing is the only way to tell.

BHB

7mmWSM
03-08-2007, 04:16 PM
I have always heard that once you get into the Fraser Canyon the river becomes a clear divider. I know that all of the deer in the Nahatlatch River are blacktails, and have heard from people that have hunted Anderson Creek that there are mulies on that side. But I don't know where the north south boundary is west of the fraser, because somewhere between boston bar and lytton I think it switches over to mulies.

wsm
03-08-2007, 06:11 PM
saw two blacktails up ore CREEK FSR road few years back. for those of you not knowing where that is . south end of yalakom valley. northwest of lillooet

Elkhound
03-09-2007, 12:25 PM
I think that the mainland should be on its own and the island have it,s own record book ,there is really no place to draw the line on the main land ,deer can migrate to anywere when there on the mainland. hunter 1947.

And whats to stop a mulie from heading to the sunshine coast here and swimming to Vancouver Island. I see blacktails swimming in the ocean many times to islands. And there are a few spots where the swim would not be impossible as we are not far away.

hunter1947
03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
And whats to stop a mulie from heading to the sunshine coast here and swimming to Vancouver Island. I see blacktails swimming in the ocean many times to islands. And there are a few spots where the swim would not be impossible as we are not far away. The sunshine coast is the mainland ,and it is possible for them to migreat to your area ,i have never heard of a mule deer in all my life swim over hear to vancover island. hunter 1947.

Elkhound
03-09-2007, 02:51 PM
The sunshine coast is the mainland ,and it is possible for them to migreat to your area ,i have never heard of a mule deer in all my life swim over hear to vancover island. hunter 1947.

I haven't either:lol: Just saying it would not be impossible

MB_Boy
03-09-2007, 02:59 PM
saw two blacktails up ore CREEK FSR road few years back. for those of you not knowing where that is . south end of yolokam valley.

LOL..........for "those of us" not in the know...........where is the Yolokam Valley?? :lol: :lol:

frenchbar
03-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Its called the Yalakom valley, 32 km north west of Lillooet, ive hunted the area for 30yrs and have never seen a black tail deer out there,ive seen them south of Lillooet on 99 south .wouldnt suprize me if they were there tho,fellow i work with seen a couple white tail does just west of ther at the east end of carpenter lk last yr and i never had seen any whiteys in that area before.

Rainwater
03-09-2007, 03:42 PM
If he swam across then he would be a blacktail.

hunter1947
03-09-2007, 04:19 PM
so is braylorn in the mule area or is it in the blacktail area ?????. hunter 1947.

frenchbar
03-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Braylorne would be more of a mule deer area ,but im sure a few of the blacktails have move up through the hurley pass out of the pemberton valley.

Mauser98
03-09-2007, 04:41 PM
In regards to Whitetails in the Fraser Valley, there is info in the regulations about a small herd on Herrling Island.

I've seen that in the Regs also. I think it's been mentioned for years.

Why would they stay on Herrling Is and not spread out?

pmj
03-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Welcome aboard CoqTrophys. You may want to check the search for threads about hybrids. It has caused a lot of debate:lol:. Usually ends in people getting suspended for name calling:rolleyes: and the thread gets locked.

3kills
03-09-2007, 11:31 PM
yes but thats white tail mulie hybrids...there is no such thing...but there is blacktail mulie hybrids...apperently there is a difference there....

Tinney
03-10-2007, 12:21 AM
yes but thats white tail mulie hybrids...there is no such thing...

You tryin to start somethin? :lol: :twisted:

3kills
03-10-2007, 09:25 AM
nope not at all.....

MichelD
03-10-2007, 09:37 AM
All I know is that I got two blacktails not far from the Pemberton Valley, but a spiker I got near Birkenhead Lake just a little to the east had as big a body as a three point from Pemberton. If he wasn't a Mulie, he sure had mulie genes!

I've got a wildlife book from the BC Museum and UBC from 1956 that says the deer in that region are what they termed "intergrades" of Blacktail and mule deer.

MichelD
03-10-2007, 09:44 AM
And hybridization between whitetail and mule deer does occur.

http://gf.nd.gov/ndoutdoors/issues/2003/feb/docs/hybrid.pdf

Tinney
03-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Oh boy. Careful MichelD....you don't wanna go there...trust me :lol:

kishman
03-11-2007, 05:09 AM
theirs a growing population on Herrling Island just out side Chilliwack

You'd have to imagine that if thier on Herrling that they'd spread out down the Chiliwack/Skigit Valleys' no? I mean you can walk out to the Island for most of the year.
*Hijack off.

SteadyGirl
03-11-2007, 09:04 AM
U asked a tough question:lol:

Right now the regs draw the line as to which species you are hunting. The system works and it doesn't. Sometimes I think there should be a grey area in the regs, because there is a grey area in the real world.

Where can you TRUELY draw the line between the two species? You can't. That would come down to DNA test results. The deer intermingle and thats a fact. The further away you get from known Mule deer areas the more your chances increase towards hunting untainted Blacktails.

Are the Skagit deer TRUE %100 Blacktail? That would depend on the deer and its ancestry. Are the Chilliwack deer TRUE %100 Blacktail? Still depends on the deer and its ancestry. I know where I would be hunting though, to increase those odds of authentic blacktail hunting.

Look at strict trophy blacktail hunters. A lot of us have areas where we hunt blacktails on or near 'the line' specified in the regs. Why? Because on average the racks are larger.

ruger#1
03-11-2007, 09:14 AM
The Columbian Blacktail Deer
By Dan Gibson
For many years the Columbian Blacktail Deer has been considered a subspecies of the Mule deer, however recent DNA testing has proven this not to be the case. In Valerius Geist's informative book Mule Deer Country he explains that by testing the mitochondrial DNA (the mothers DNA ) of the three species (blacktail, whitetail and mule deer), researchers have now determined that it was the mating of Whitetail does and Blacktail buck's that gave rise to the Mule deer and not the opposite as was once suspected.

It is now believed that millions of years ago the Whitetail deer expanded its range down the east coast of the United States, across Mexico, and then back up the West coast, where it eventually evolved into the Blacktail Deer. This may help to explain the strong resemblance in appearance and psychological characteristics between the two. Thousands of years later as the recently evolved Blackball's range spread eastward and the Whitehall's range again expanded westward, the two deer again met. At this point the Blacktail bucks, displaced the Whitetail bucks, and bred the Whitetail does. Researches now believe that it is this hybridization that produced what is now know as the Muledeer.

For those of you not familiar with the Columbian Blacktail, their range, as recognized by Boone and Crockett (B&C), extends form central British Columbia, south to the Monterey Bay in California. Columbian Blacktails inhabit a narrow strip of land from the shores of the pacific ocean inland for approximately a hundred miles. This distance will of course vary from location to location

In regards to the geographic boundaries of the Columbian Blacktail one must rely on the observations of wildlife biologists, graduate students and scientists, who have done extensive scientific research and identification on the Columbian Blacktail and it's range. I wish it was as simple as having years of hunting experience in order to be able do identify the possible genetic make-up of a particular deer, but unfortunately it isn't. This is why DNA is such an important tool in deer identification.

When I refer to the boundaries of the Columbian Blacktail, I am referring to the recognized Boone & Crockett boundaries. B&C's boundaries are not the exact boundaries of the Columbian Blacktail, they have actually been moved slightly inward to help reduce the possibility of hybridization with Muledeer or Muledeer/Blacktail crosses. Since we are a hunting website these are the boundaries we recognize.

There are undoubtedly pure Columbian Blacktails in other area's but because of possible hybridization, they are not considered pure Columbian Blacktails by B&C. Just because a buck appears to be 100% Columbian, doesn't mean that generations ago there wasn't a Muledeer in his heritage.

Blacktail deer on average are smaller than their Whitetail and Muledeer cousins. Here in my north western California a 140 pound buck (live weight) is considered very good size. Blacktail bucks do occasionally approach 200 pounds, but from my experience, it's a very rare occurrence. Years ago I killed a huge bodied forked horn in San Joaquine county that tipped the scales at 171 pounds field dressed. To date this buck is the largest Columbian Blacktail I have ever personally witnessed.

Although I do not have a lot of experience with Oregon Blacktails I am told they are slightly larger in body size than the California bucks. Washington on the other hand produces some very large bodied Blacktails. If my experience with this website is any indication, it appears that bucks weighing 175 lb. field dressed are not that uncommon in the "Evergreen state".

Horn size in Blacktails runs contrary to what one might expect and is an often debated topic among Blacktail hunters. In the Columbian Blacktail body size appears to have little relationship to horn size. This is generally not the situation with Whitetail and Muledeer. In their case, body size and antler size are closely related and as a rule of thumb both get larger as you travel north. The larger the body the larger the antlers. This becomes very evident when you compare a Florida Whitetail to a Michigan Whitetail, or a Desert Mule Deer to a Rocky Mountain Mule Deer.

In the case of the Columbian Blacktail this circumstance does not apply. California, the southern most state in the Columbian Blacktails range, has produced more B&C Blacktails than either Oregon or Washington. One would think that the opposite would be true but the record books state the fact clearly. The largest racked Columbian Blacktails are found in the southern portion of their range. Even though California and Oregon regularly produce higher scoring bucks than Washington. The current world record comes from Washington state. Obviously California and Oregon are not the only areas capable of producing huge Blacktails.

curt
03-12-2007, 06:37 PM
I beleive for the sake of the BC record books the east side of the cascade mountains in hope or considered mulies.

kennyj
12-30-2007, 11:27 AM
The purest Columbian Blacktails are on Vancuover Isl. They're smaller in body and antlers then the blacktails from the mainland.

quadrakid
12-30-2007, 12:10 PM
who is to say whether a big bodied,big racked buck taken on the mainland is less of a blacktail than one from the island? it,s not as though blacktails originated on vancouver island.perhaps due to being somewhat seperated (not totally)from mainland blacktails they have become somewhat smaller. there is no definative proof or studies that say that the larger blacktails on the mainland are due to crossbreeding with mulies. sure,it may seem logical but where is the proof. take a whitetail from the eastern seaboard and compare it to a whitetail from the prairies, sizewise they don,t compare but they are both whitetails. people will have their differing opinions but until someone does an in depth studiy of the genetics of mainland versus vancouver island deer i think the jury is still out.

proguide66
12-30-2007, 12:19 PM
The B&C boundries are a little 'off' in some areas of B.C. . In some cases a 'questionable b-tail should almost be put in front of a 'panel' of maybe some reputable taxidermists and maybe a wildlife biologist for a 'label ??...just a thought. Yrs ago the Pemberton Medeaws had the 'big arguement' settled by DNA testing.The did it from deer that were harvested on the east side of the Lilloette river and found "mule deer genetics"...so...now the Pemberton bucks dont qualify for the 'book' and is considered a 'dead-no zone' for trophy's. I have seen first had a mule deer doe and bucks at Duffy Lake...then I have seen blacktail does at Joffrey Lakes ( still as high as Duffy Lake but 3 or 4 miles west)...as well you can travel up the Hurley road ( en route to Goldbrige) and find blacktail deer all the way up to the height of land...havent seen a mule deer ass there yet...until you start getting closer to Braylorne. Mean while , miles to the west , right in Whistler is the boundery...3 ft to one side are called mule deer , 3 ft to the other blacktail !!...lol...you would have to drive for an hr + to get to see a true mule deer ass!!.....but...as far as mixed blood goes for around here....I harvested around 50 island blackies over the yrs , largest rack went 126 ( next largest rack went 110)....heaviest body dressed at 168lbs....that was over a course of 26 hunting yrs on the island. Now I live here and have harvested in 5 yrs , 3 bucks from 136 to 151...few 115 ( B&c),,,one buck a shot with an arrow in the meadews dressed at 237lbs !!!( but had a blacktail ass) the average buck between here and Whist seem to go 200 + live.....hmmmm....so...personally I'm for the Island being pure strain...at least the 'most pure'. It would be VERY interesting to see DNA tests from Whis to Twassen.....then dna on some island bucks...would settle the big question !!

Gateholio
12-30-2007, 12:20 PM
This is always a topic of conversation in Pemberton as we are right near the imaginary line, but the deer here are classed as mule deer.

The only sure way to tell is DNA testing, and I bet if that was done, we might find that most mainland blacktails have some mule deer DNA, too. Unless we believe that an imaginary line drawn by the Boone And Crockett club keeps deer on their proper side!:razz:

Is this a blacktail? B&C says no!:smile:

http://usera.imagecave.com/chef/Leopardhide023.jpg

Island Blacktail
12-30-2007, 04:50 PM
There are mule deer close to the coast. I know people that have worked at the head of Bute Inlet and have seen Mule deer does. How much cross breeding goes on will always be a debate but a big buck is a big buck where ever you are. Where a buck is shot does not make it any less of a trophy. Just looking at the picture above I would say that it is a Trophy Blacktail. NICE BUCK!!!

BigfishCanada
12-31-2007, 01:36 PM
FYI Whitetails are in the fraservalley, Friend has been seeing them up Stave lake area more and more often now. I thought a member saw some in anmore also!

CooperSscat
12-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Check the rear end out too. Blacktails have a triangular tail flap tipped with black hair. Mule deer have a white rump patch with a skinny tail tipped with black hair. What do blacktail/mulie interbred rumps look like???

Jeremy

ryanb
12-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Check the rear end out too. Blacktails have a triangular tail flap tipped with black hair. Mule deer have a white rump patch with a skinny tail tipped with black hair. What do blacktail/mulie interbred rumps look like???

Jeremy

Something like this
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/rbumali/IMG_3854.jpg

I have personally witnessed what appear to be pure-bred mule deer bucks breeding blacktail does on numerous occasions in the last few years. The little blacktail bucks don't stand much of a chance when a pure mule deer moves into an area I'm guessing

bcboy
01-01-2008, 11:33 PM
This is always a topic of conversation in Pemberton as we are right near the imaginary line, but the deer here are classed

I thought B#C was no blacltail on the othe side of the Lilloet river..pm me we\here you you were and I;ll check it out for you and pl. dont leave out a good place to park around nov. next yr.:biggrin:

nuice little deer too bad what did he score??

fourbyfour
01-02-2008, 10:33 PM
i heard that Jones lake is that line that muleys can`t cross!

TravisC
01-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Just throwing this out here. Now it was a few years ago i was talking to a older gentalman from the island, in the powell River ferry terminal. i can't recall his name, only started chatting because i noticed he was heading to texada hunting. during our conversation he told me that he had been informed by the CO that they were looking to import some mulies to the island to try and breed and sustain larger bodied deer. if that were true then whats to stop them from adding whiteys or mulies to the big island.

Paulyman
01-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Just wondering what you guys thaught about where you can truly draw the line on where your actually hunting blacktails and not a mulie/blacktail cross breed? I see a lot of people posting pics of skagit and chilliwack lake deer but are they really 100% blacktail? Any thaughts would be appreciated.

First post for me on this site by the way.
when the deer harvested is 225 pounds plus, it's pretty safe to say its not 100% blacktail.....any objections?

hunter11
01-03-2008, 12:01 AM
They're all in breeds. Hahahahaha

TIKA 300
01-03-2008, 12:13 AM
This is always a topic of conversation in Pemberton as we are right near the imaginary line, but the deer here are classed as mule deer.

The only sure way to tell is DNA testing, and I bet if that was done, we might find that most mainland blacktails have some mule deer DNA, too. Unless we believe that an imaginary line drawn by the Boone And Crockett club keeps deer on their proper side!:razz:

If the rack on that indicates it as a blacktail (among other indicators im sure)that means the 2-3 point racks i found in Mission are purely black tail.They were found as complete skeletons,with no other indicators to show.

So if the line of deer changes hope east,that means the MONSTER 4 point i seen on the hwy just inside the east gate of Manning this summer was a big mulie (up there in the largest rack ive seen category)

Elkhound
01-03-2008, 11:00 AM
when the deer harvested is 225 pounds plus, it's pretty safe to say its not 100% blacktail.....any objections?

On the sunshine coast 2 yrs ago I got my biggest blacktail ever. Field dressed at 210lbs. A far cry from the usual deer I take. But the coast is nowhere near a mulie boundry. And I have talked with other that have taken a few on the Island like that too

proguide66
01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
One quick note on body sizes to think about........I guided a wildlife biologist a few yrs back , he had quite the wealth of knowledge.
He told me of a biological term , 'Bregmans Law'. This is the relation of body mass needed to survive extreme northern seasonal weather....example..northern whitetail deer comonly sport up to 400lb body's....southern TX deer are 100-120...Yukon moose are substantially larger than its southern cousin......ect ect...so maybe the big snow load areas of the mainland coastal b-tails have possibly killed off the genetically inferior bucks and the more superior genes have survived???...= the larger than average body sizes??

rock
01-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Blacktail ears are a lot smaller then a mule deer, as for the legs of the deer there's a big difference alot shorter then a mule deer. Though I'm sure they do cross breed that you'll never stop, part of nature, usually if cross bred bodys are alot bigger but characteristics features will look more like a blacktail
If a record blacktail is taken in the chilliwack area is there any way of telling if the deer has cross breeded or is it purely based on where the animal was taken? If it has blacktail features but mule deer genes is there any way of telling?

wideopenthrottle
01-26-2017, 03:34 PM
so would it be safe to say any deer shot up by Clinton would have to be mule deer and could not be a BT or BT/muley cross?

scotty30-06
01-26-2017, 04:04 PM
Great thread

Bonz
01-26-2017, 04:12 PM
some americans ive chatted with on this claim all our blackatils are crosses up here...lol, only they have real ones.

Bonz
01-26-2017, 04:13 PM
do we have the bench leg here as some americans call their short guys?

scotty30-06
01-27-2017, 03:47 AM
Has anyone on this site happen to see or heard of records of white tail in chilliwack?

scotty30-06
01-27-2017, 03:48 AM
Or even Harrison area?

Bonz
01-27-2017, 07:00 AM
nope. i just posted about that the other day here to. about them mystical herling island whiteys..ive yet to see any down here.
closest ive seen them is a few miles up the coq

Squire
01-27-2017, 09:20 AM
I have spent more than 25 years hunting the Muley/Blacktail hybrids in the high country East of Pemberton. I have seen a few true rope-tails in this time but the vast majority are something in between a full-on Blacktail flap and a Muley rope. A mature buck will go 200 lbs + on the hoof(100 lbs of de-boned meat in the pack) but the 'representative' buck only scores 135-150 in this country. I have glassed no more than three or four that would have exceeded this score. You can shoot a decent buck in a beautiful area but it will score low as a Muley and not count as Blacktail. You can find full Mule deer around Goldbridge and Lillooet but head back toward Pemberton via the Duffey or the Hurley and there are a lot of hybrids.

01-27-2017, 10:40 AM
I have spent more than 25 years hunting the Muley/Blacktail hybrids in the high country East of Pemberton. I have seen a few true rope-tails in this time but the vast majority are something in between a full-on Blacktail flap and a Muley rope. A mature buck will go 200 + on the hoof(100 lbs of de-boned meat in the pack) but the 'representative' buck only scores 135-150 in this country. I have glassed no more than three or four that would have exceeded this score. You can shoot a decent buck in a beautiful area but it will score low as a Muley and not count as Blacktail. You can find full Mule deer around Goldbridge and Lillooet but head back toward Pemberton via the Duffey or the Hurley and there are a lot of hybrids.

Bang on with this. Big bodied burgers, outside of entire tail, brown to black. Compact knarly racks, some multiple points, the largest of all over years of hunting alpine east of Pemby, towards Lillooet, a huge two pt. Outside the ears by a good 4 inches or more, huge body, any of the four 4 pointers with him came near him, he would lower his head, take a step, and they would bound away. No doubt, these are hybrids.

frankthedog
01-27-2017, 10:42 AM
I think it is quite a difficult thing to determine sometimes. A deer taken on Vancouver Island, I would most certainly be inclined to say he is a 100% pure Blacktail. A deer taken on the mainland, closer to where Mule deer are abundant, then I would not be so sure. I think the tags/regs themselves say a lot to this, they are not even sure so they made one tag cover two species.

scotty30-06
01-27-2017, 02:30 PM
^^^^this I agree with...if it was so clear and defined between the two species like it is for whitetail and muleys...then I'm sure the regs would state as such.

markomoose
01-27-2017, 06:58 PM
I took a big 3x3 in the Pemberton area and it was way bigger than the does it was hanging with.Either a hybrid or pure Muley?

buckhunter76
01-29-2017, 09:22 AM
That is a tough question I've shot hybrids out of chilliwack, Norris creek, and east and the west Harrison, also hammered a lot of true blacktails, depends on the time of year if the deer are moving down the valley.my trail cams this year from chilliwack had a lot of blacktail bucks and 2 huge bucks which I determined mulies. mission I've never seen or shot a hybrid same with maple ridge, I have a spot in west Harrison I go that we saw over 100 deer this year and only one of the bucks I would say was a muledeer. I think Vancouver island should have its separate scores for blacktail since they isn't cross breeding, but in all honesty I'm out their for the meat I don't asses to see if it's a hybrid before I pull the hammer, but it is nice to see people's inputs on what is and is not a true blacktail

Chopper
01-29-2017, 10:23 AM
That is a tough question I've shot hybrids out of chilliwack, Norris creek, and east and the west Harrison, also hammered a lot of true blacktails, depends on the time of year if the deer are moving down the valley.my trail cams this year from chilliwack had a lot of blacktail bucks and 2 huge bucks which I determined mulies. mission I've never seen or shot a hybrid same with maple ridge, I have a spot in west Harrison I go that we saw over 100 deer this year and only one of the bucks I would say was a muledeer. I think Vancouver island should have its separate scores for blacktail since they isn't cross breeding, but in all honesty I'm out their for the meat I don't asses to see if it's a hybrid before I pull the hammer, but it is nice to see people's inputs on what is and is not a true blacktail

We do have our own book for BT's over here, its only 100 inches. Boon obviously doesnt recognise it, but SCI DOES. SCI bronze is only " 95 ". A lot of guys " especially the guides " for the obvious reasons , say that van isl should be classified as " sitka " i dont know if that should be the case or not, we get some hammer BT's over here. Not many world class bucks, but they do happen. A VI BT was scored yesterday at river sportsman. I believe it was gross 143 net 137. That would be a hell of a Sitka.

As far as the coastal bucks, i noticed a couple guys say they shouldn't be recognised as bts ... thats ridiculous. I personally beieve the current system is working well, there is definately a grey area at the border set by record books.... but thats just how it is. I personally am in love with the bts that are on the ocean side of the BC coastal mountains. Massive bucks, with real BT racks ... these BTs they are shooting inland in california, barely have any characteristics of BT's. Aesthetically, They border on the line of desert mule deer.

gread thread by the way ... some very good input.

frankthedog
01-29-2017, 11:49 AM
... these BTs they are shooting inland in california, barely have any characteristics of BT's. Aesthetically, They border on the line of desert mule deer.

gread thread by the way ... some very good input.This is what I think whenever I see California, Oregon and even some Washington Blacktail pictures on Instagram

btridge
01-30-2017, 10:22 AM
The Columbia Blacktail Deer is so named for a reason, it historicaly inhabited the west coast and the Columbia river basin. There is documented sightings of Blacktail deer as far east as Wyoming in the mid 1800s. As the west has been populated with humans, the ecology of western north america has changed as well as the deer that live there. Whitetail deer followed the settlers, and the hybridized Mule Deer area expanded. Blacktail range has been greatly reduced, but there are still pockets of genetics in many areas of there former range, many call these Blacktail crosses or hybreds. The record books do not recognise these deer, but that does not mean they don't exist.

Chopper
01-30-2017, 11:21 AM
The record books recognize Columbia BT's range as basically the coast of B.C starting at nearly Prince Rupert .... all the was down the coast into southern California, Just short of the Mexican border. Those deer to me are borderline desert mule deer. They do not resemble the Columbian BT'S you see in the North West. Again ... Record books do recognize those southern bucks

btridge
01-30-2017, 11:29 AM
The record books recognize Columbia BT's range as basically the coast of B.C starting at nearly Prince Rupert .... all the was down the coast into southern California, Just short of the Mexican border. Those deer to me are borderline desert mule deer. They do not resemble the Columbian BT'S you see in the North West. Record books do recognize those southern bucks
True, But a very large part of the Columbia basin has been excluded, for very good reason I might add. This does NOT mean that the Blacktail genetics are not still present in the excluded Columbia basin, only that they are few and far between and not representitive of the deer population at large.

elgato
02-09-2017, 09:56 PM
This Blacktail was the biggest i have ever seen and it was harvested just outside the boundary.It had a blacktail tail and everything screamed blacktail.Being outside boundary it could not be scored as a blacktail it fell into the mule deer slot.http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/elgatostar/101_1344_zpspvkpqd32.jpg (http://s376.photobucket.com/user/elgatostar/media/101_1344_zpspvkpqd32.jpg.html)

scotty30-06
02-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Real nice buck....and great thread