PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help - booking a west coast fishing trip for 2015

bckoothunter
08-22-2014, 03:26 PM
Looking for help/advice planning a west coast fishing trip for Salmon and Halibut. Any charter recommendations or city/towns to look into would be greatly appreciated. What time of the season is best, I know it says June to September most websites, but is one month better than the rest? I assume it varies by location as the fish move?

Vladimir Poutine
08-22-2014, 07:09 PM
I highly recommend Reel Adventures in Ucluelet. This year one of the only operators anywhere that will get you a full day under a K. Gets results. Check out his website http://reeladventuresfishing.com/

Sitkaspruce
08-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Check out David and David at Serengeti in Port Hardy. Amazing fishing, great people (Ask David senior about his world travelling hunting trips and to see his mounts), awesome boats and very few crowds.....oh and they catch lots of fish!!!

http://www.serengetifishingcharters.com/

Cheers

SS

bckoothunter
08-23-2014, 11:59 AM
I highly recommend Reel Adventures in Ucluelet. This year one of the only operators anywhere that will get you a full day under a K. Gets results. Check out his website http://reeladventuresfishing.com/

Thanks for the advice. I actually know these guys, I've fished with them on Kootenay Lake a couple times, we almost booked a west coast trip with them this year.

bckoothunter
08-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Check out David and David at Serengeti in Port Hardy. Amazing fishing, great people (Ask David senior about his world travelling hunting trips and to see his mounts), awesome boats and very few crowds.....oh and they catch lots of fish!!!

http://www.serengetifishingcharters.com/

Cheers

SS
Thanks a bunch, I'll check their site out for sure.

Salty
08-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Good areas with the outfits above, basically west coast Vancouver island, north VI and from there up to Rupert is all a good bet. Timing wise if it was a one shot deal for me I'd go with somewhere between mid July and mid Aug. That's when the most big springs will be around and most other salmon species will be around if they do frequent the area as well. Halibut is pretty steady throughout the season.

bckoothunter
08-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Thanks Salty. It's gonna be one trip, hoping we can fish 2 or 3 days. I know that fishing is fishing but it's nice to have that general idea when to go. I appreciate the info.

.264winmag
08-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Salty nailed it. I ran Charters out of Tahsis, Nootka/Esperanza for 7 years. The best guide I know out there is Adrian Oconner, Real Obsession Sportfishing out of Zeballos. If it were me I would either fish July 13-15 so you are able to keep big springs inshore, although it stayed open for one over this year, or Aug 14-16 for the big offshore push. Adrian runs three boats out of there but he books up fast. Esperanza is one of the few places that has great inshore and offshore fisheries for a solid 3 months.

http://www.reelobsession.ca

08-26-2014, 03:39 PM
That is a fairly open ended question....... How much you looking to spend, you thinking resorte type Queen Charlotte for 5+ grand or WCVI for less?

Honestly, and has been eluded to here, WCVI has major regulations. It would pay you to have a look at them,,, it is really confusing lol but you want to pick a time when you can retain big fish. Phone the places you are interested in and ask when the big fish are there ... then ask here.... Fishing WCVI is bloody Complicated... lol....

West Coast Fish in Ukee,,, Matt and the boys Are born and bred Ukee Fishermen..... lifers not tourists...
Same as Fishmyster Ken..... Been fishing right there for years and years ......
David Murphey to Kyuquot,,,,, a guy who has been out there for years...

Then there is a plethora of QCI places ...

What are you looking for specifically?

two-feet
08-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Maybe think about Prince Rupert. Im pretty sure the good guides will put you on fish anywhere north of mid vci but heading to rupert is worth it for the trip alone if you have not been here before. The drive from Smithers to Rupert is through some sublime country.
If you do head there Northern Bounty is a great charter company.

scallywag
08-27-2014, 08:16 AM
I have a place in tahsis and watch the shawzys charter bring in big fish to the dock everyday I'm down there. Seems like a really nice guy too. Plus he runs 30 foot boston whalers(boat of my dreams).

hunter fisher
08-27-2014, 08:17 AM
west coast lodge, near bella bella. unreal lodge. I've been lucky enough to go there a handful of times and never have i had a bad time! every trip there are lots of guys bringing in 30 and 40 pounder springs, and lots of small halis too

.264winmag
08-27-2014, 10:32 AM
I have a place in tahsis and watch the shawzys charter bring in big fish to the dock everyday I'm down there. Seems like a really nice guy too. Plus he runs 30 foot boston whalers(boat of my dreams).

They do bring some nice fish in, and their boats are awesome. But have you looked at their prices! I used to charge half their day rates and bring in more fish than they did...

Brez
08-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Looking for help/advice planning a west coast fishing trip for Salmon and Halibut. Any charter recommendations or city/towns to look into would be greatly appreciated. What time of the season is best, I know it says June to September most websites, but is one month better than the rest? I assume it varies by location as the fish move?
How many of you are there? We have 5 guys from the Trail area and go with Murphy's. We are presently full (15 total) for our Aug 19 - 22 trip next year but there are always cancellations. pm me if you want details. We do quite well and it is reasonable.

tubby
08-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Matt/cappy kirk westcoast fish...did 2 wknds with them...full limits...95% of other guides had the ODD fish.
Will be booking with them again for next year