PDA

View Full Version : Wolves Change a River - YouTube video

Rob Chipman
08-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Some of you may have seen this. A buddy sent it to me. It's a video on how wolves changed the ecosystem in Yellowstone.

I'm not endorsing any particular message in regard to wolves. What I find interesting is the idea of "trophic cascade". From what I understand, trophic cascade is a term that describes the cascading effects of a change in an upper level predator - ie, no big predators leads to higher populations of prey animals, which has effects (for example, over grazing, etc) as well as smaller predators, which has effects (fewer smaller prey animals).

Add big predators back in and the effects are more than lower populations of their specific prey. The effects cascade through the eco-system. That obviously makes sense. I think we all recognize that the bush is interconnected, and you can't just plug and play with species and habitat.

Like I say - I'm not making an argument that we need more wolves or that we shouldn't shoot cute furry puppies that look cool on posters.

The antler point restriction thread had me looking at other mule deer related stuff across the web and habitat degradation seems to be a repeating theme. I started wondering what might happen if a habitat got over-consumed past a critical point. Could a habitat be degraded enough so that it would only support a minimal number of animals who, once in balance, kept the habitat degraded? If that habitat was upgraded could it support more animals and stay in balance?

I don't know the answer and I don't think the video provides it, but I know there's some smart guys on this forum who can make some good comments on it, so...here's the youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/ysa5OBhXz-Q

.30-06 camsavbc
08-22-2014, 06:32 PM
This video is post reintroduction of the wolf population after they were slaughtered and totally removed from Yellowstone. This shows you what happens when you remove a "piece" of the natural ecosystem. If you look at Mt. St. Helens after the side of that mountain blew off, thousands of hectares of land were destroyed. That was 30 years ago and now the land is recovering and the animals and plants are coming back. We think in 5, 10, 20 and 30 year increments but the land and animals will always reset themselves over a certain period of time. We don't live long enough to see the natural recovering and we are impatient in wanting things right now. I would let the natural course of nature take care of itself instead of playing with it by experimenting with introductions of plants and/or animals. Yellowstone is unique in that the Americans did wrong with the wolf slaughter and years later righted their wrong and now we have proof that they were wrong in taking out a key "piece" of nature. Forest fires by lightning is a natural phenomena and it is totally necessary for regeneration but again we think of 30 years being a long time because we won't be alive to see the regenerated forest like it was when we were young for example. Us hunters play a vital role in the management of game animals and I personally don't think we should "introduce certain species" in a certain area to increase their populations unless of course we have done wrong by over harvesting. This is just my opinion. Great short video!

Fred1
08-22-2014, 07:03 PM
mmmm Yellowstone... On the list!

Fred1
08-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Oh ya! Love the wolves!

Foxtail
08-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Smoke a pack a day ;)

mikeboehm
08-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Wolves are my favorite animal. I sure do want a rug on the wall. 2 packs a day👍

Good2bCanadian
08-23-2014, 06:44 AM
3 packs a day

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/mikesmith7/Hunting/212d64ab.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/mikesmith7/media/Hunting/212d64ab.jpg.html)

andrewscag
08-23-2014, 08:42 AM
I think one important piece of info that gets lost in this video is that Yellowstone is a park and therefore very different from a good chunk of the land. There is adequate winter cover for elk and deer there, and no logging roads for wolves to travel easily on. That's a huge help for wolves prey. What holds true in Yellowstone doesn't necessarily in most of bc.

walks with deer
08-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Keep in mind a few wolves push came around is good for the game alot of wolves kill all the games young...

Were are all of the peace river moose pics this year.

Wait a minute the cows seem to be missing calves why?

Rob Chipman
08-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Good2BeCanadian:

Those chompers are frigging impressive!