PDA

View Full Version : West Kootenay Elk Hunting

chelseashandler
08-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Hi There. Me and my hunting buddies are looking to hunt the west kootenay's this year as suppose to the east for a change of scenery. Can anyone help me out with some intel please? Looking to go last week of sept or first week of oct so thinking we should stay to the south. Maybe Christina Lake/Castlegar/Trail areas. We like to hike and go deep into the back country so no problems setting up spike camps in the mountains. Any info is appreciated cheers

08-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Duck!!!! !!!!!

08-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Ha ha! This should be good!!

BiG Boar
08-22-2014, 11:15 AM
You don't need help. The monster bulls are basically everywhere. We run into them all the time on our quads. Lots of big 7x7's and 8x8's to be had. It's basically elk heaven.

J_T
08-22-2014, 11:19 AM
My observations between the WK and the EK, is the 'backcountry' in the WK is pretty shallow. You won't have to do much hiking. Just drive the roads and bugle. Elk heaven.

08-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Told ya..........

Weatherby Fan
08-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Told ya..........

Your a prophet........can you help me with my Stone Sheep Hunt ;-)

08-22-2014, 11:56 AM
That would really be good! i have never gone...

Chelsies handler.
just a lil Friendly back ground for ya.

You just joined ( Welcome to the site )
your very first post is an information request..
no "hello my name is ******** " introduction.
And the information you are asking for is the second most secret shit going!

That is why you had to duck! The poo was getting flung!
I have hunted RME elk 3 times..... i have not seen one yet...... i suck at Elk.......They aint even helped me! lol

Weatherby Fan
08-22-2014, 12:00 PM
That would really be good! i have never gone...

Chelsies handler.
just a lil Friendly back ground for ya.

You just joined ( Welcome to the site )
your very first post is an information request..
no "hello my name is ******** " introduction.
And the information you are asking for is the second most secret shit going!

That is why you had to duck! The poo was getting flung!
I have hunted RME elk 3 times..... i have not seen one yet...... i suck at Elk.......They aint even helped me! lol

Thats funny.......all ya had to do was ask Drew !

Weatherby Fan
08-22-2014, 12:04 PM
You don't need help. The monster bulls are basically everywhere. We run into them all the time on our quads. Lots of big 7x7's and 8x8's to be had. It's basically elk heaven.

We normally set up the spotting scope at Tim Hortons for the morning hunt.......it's an all in one deal for fresh coffee,breakfast and the outhouse is usually clean and handy !

08-22-2014, 12:06 PM
im too scared to ask!!!
But we have also been lucky with a moose in the group for the last few years

J_T
08-22-2014, 12:08 PM
We normally set up the spotting scope at Tim Hortons for the morning hunt.......it's an all in one deal for fresh coffee,breakfast and the outhouse is usually clean and handy !
That narrows it down. Not too many Tim Horton's in the WK.

08-22-2014, 12:14 PM
I think i remember a thread here where someone actually did that.... had a tag of some sort and sat in a Resturante or Tims .... and spotted the mountain behind it......
Its ringing bells.

chelseashandler
08-22-2014, 12:54 PM
ok ok fair enough 835. To be completely honest that was my first posting of any kind to any thread on any site, let alone creating one. I have never relied on this form of information ever in my life. I'm a boots on the ground kind of guy, get out there and see for myself mentality. Just thought I would see what this community had to say but you bring up some very good points. My expectations weren't very high for intel but I'm blown away with the amount of replies that have been posted in the short time. This is good news I'm sure, an active group of ppl on here which I hope I can get to know.

Thanks to all the people who did give me some feedback although now I'm a little skeptical about it. And FYI I wasnt expecting directions to anyone's honeyholes, just some generalizations on the area. Regardless were going in there and hitting the fields hard all day every day for a week, cant wait to hike my guts out.

About me, I love the outdoors, fishing hunting hiking camping etc etc. Been hunting for about 6yrs and they've been quite good to me, especially with Elk in the EK. But this year we head west!. . .

Cheers guys

smoothbor
08-22-2014, 01:08 PM
I live in the gar and just a heads up we do not have the road systems the east koots has. There is roads up lots of valleys in the area but these areas see lots of traffic. A lot of people hit the backcountry so if you see nice country in the hills off in the distance do not think you will be the only one back there, so if you see great looking country so has everyone else and don't be surprised when you put in a lot of effort to get way back and find other hunters. I wish you the best of luck and you have the right idea and there is elk to be had if you work hard

08-22-2014, 01:25 PM
lol,, You gotta have a sense of humour or your toast!

West Koots from what i have read in the past is a busy place. So like Smoothbor said... go there but dont expect to be alone. HBC has a tonne of experiance and people that help..... you just hapened to post THE MOST ASKED first post question going. Elk hunters will help you but most of the Koots places are held pretty close.. West or East... post a thread with the pics you take about your hunt and get to know the members.... you will have guys pm you help when you ask for it!

Good luck bud!
And like i said,,,, you gotta have a sense of humour.......

chelseashandler
08-22-2014, 02:02 PM
thanks Smoothbor. I'm constantly finding other hunters in my spotting scope so thats nothing new. It's never getting to the spots thats the problem but rather the timing and coming from the lower mainland its tuff to have your finger on the pulse right.

Bobfl
08-22-2014, 05:58 PM
go the the wildlife park its easier there and you don't have to pack far

GoatGuy
08-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Road closures are always a good place to start. Valleys without roads or low road density would be another. Lots of backcountry in the WK if you're willing to put in the effort and of course 'huge bulls'.

Clint_S
08-23-2014, 07:47 AM
We normally set up the spotting scope at Tim Hortons for the morning hunt

I prefer Mikey D's. Americano and a muffin for $1.70 and has a better view of Mt Sentinel than Timmys for pre hunt scouting.

Clint_S
08-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Oh to the OP

Your name sounds familiar, do you happen to have a late night talk show?
Welcome :-D

chelseashandler
08-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Chelsea's the name of my 300wsm and the only tv I watch are those reality shows called NHL & NFL

Brando95
08-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Dont bother bringing a bugle...they won't call back anymore with the ridiculous pressure over the last few years.

Brez
08-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Hi There. Me and my hunting buddies are looking to hunt the west kootenay's this year as suppose to the east for a change of scenery. Can anyone help me out with some intel please? Looking to go last week of sept or first week of oct so thinking we should stay to the south. Maybe Christina Lake/Castlegar/Trail areas. We like to hike and go deep into the back country so no problems setting up spike camps in the mountains. Any info is appreciated cheers

Looks like you got all of the intel you need. Now just have to get out there and find a little hole that you won't have a dozen other people . Hurry and do some scouting. look for a place you have to pack the animal out as all of the shoot-from-road places will have a waiting line. Walk quiet and look for trail, rubs, wallows. there will be lots of others out there. Oh, I'm going East Koots to get away from the crazy, but there are still good bulls in the area.
Good luck

Jagermeister
08-30-2014, 06:17 PM
ok ok fair enough 835. To be completely honest that was my first posting of any kind to any thread on any site, let alone creating one. I have never relied on this form of information ever in my life. I'm a boots on the ground kind of guy, get out there and see for myself mentality. Just thought I would see what this community had to say but you bring up some very good points. My expectations weren't very high for intel but I'm blown away with the amount of replies that have been posted in the short time. This is good news I'm sure, an active group of ppl on here which I hope I can get to know.

Thanks to all the people who did give me some feedback although now I'm a little skeptical about it. And FYI I wasnt expecting directions to anyone's honeyholes, just some generalizations on the area. Regardless were going in there and hitting the fields hard all day every day for a week, cant wait to hike my guts out.

About me, I love the outdoors, fishing hunting hiking camping etc etc. Been hunting for about 6yrs and they've been quite good to me, especially with Elk in the EK. But this year we head west!. . .

Cheers guys
Damm! I thought you were a chick.

.300WSMImpact!
08-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Looks like you got all of the intel you need. Now just have to get out there and find a little hole that you won't have a dozen other people . Hurry and do some scouting. look for a place you have to pack the animal out as all of the shoot-from-road places will have a waiting line. Walk quiet and look for trail, rubs, wallows. there will be lots of others out there. Oh, I'm going East Koots to get away from the crazy, but there are still good bulls in the area.
Good luck

I was in the west koots last year for 10 days, I hunted a road that was about 20 kms long, I was the first one there I hunted a few days in bow season, by the time the gun season opened there were 25 camps on the road at least 5 guys per camp, everywhere I scouted there was a group of guys also trying to hunt, gong show is a good word, but that being said its still less pressure then region 8, good luck if you go who knows we may cross paths

OutWest
08-30-2014, 08:55 PM
I was in the west koots last year for 10 days, I hunted a road that was about 20 kms long, I was the first one there I hunted a few days in bow season, by the time the gun season opened there were 25 camps on the road at least 5 guys per camp, everywhere I scouted there was a group of guys also trying to hunt, gong show is a good word, but that being said its still less pressure then region 8, good luck if you go who knows we may cross paths

Sensationalism at its finest. 20km is short, especially for that country. The Kootenays are exceptionally busy but that's what you get anywhere when you hunt off of fsr's, especially the opener for elk.

If the OP is serious about getting into the back country and spiking out, he'll have no problem getting into bulls and good ones at that. Not a drainage out that way the won't hold elk.

.300WSMImpact!
08-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Sensationalism at its finest. 20km is short, especially for that country. The Kootenays are exceptionally busy but that's what you get anywhere when you hunt off of fsr's, especially the opener for elk.

If the OP is serious about getting into the back country and spiking out, he'll have no problem getting into bulls and good ones at that. Not a drainage out that way the won't hold elk.

where do you all the people went? maybe the back country? it was a daily race to beat the other guys. Only a few locals road hunted on the roads or maybe saw all the camps and went elsewhere

OutWest
08-31-2014, 08:47 AM
where do you all the people went? maybe the back country? it was a daily race to beat the other guys. Only a few locals road hunted on the roads or maybe saw all the camps and went elsewhere

Can't be getting too far if it was a daily race. I know it's a gongshow, had to hunt close to town when I was going to school there but that's expected when hunting areas like Pass Creek, Deer Park, Slocan etc. You're going to get that anywhere close to Castlegar.

.300WSMImpact!
08-31-2014, 09:01 AM
Can't be getting too far if it was a daily race. I know it's a gongshow, had to hunt close to town when I was going to school there but that's expected when hunting areas like Pass Creek, Deer Park, Slocan etc. You're going to get that anywhere close to Castlegar.

yes daily hunts for sure, hunting alone makes it tough to do anything but that for me,

Ourea
08-31-2014, 11:22 AM
The reality is there are very few secrets in today's world fueled by social media and instant information sharing.
Hunting areas are not exempt to this culture and influence, nor is the WK and what its known for.
Region 8 continues with excessive pressure due to this, as well as other areas.
The advent of social media has focused the optics of the hunting community on to specific areas bringing unprecedented and disproportionate pressure. WK elk is no exception. Its the unfortunate reality of today.
You can either bitch about "your" area getting more and more company or you simply adapt and out-compete.

The "cherry picked" bulls are getting harder to come by but I am still astonished at the tremendous bulls coming out whole or in two pieces.
That will dry up soon enough.
I think the average hunter can easily get frustrated after a day or two of seeing every road patrolled daily with quads and multiple camps in every main drainage. The guys that "get it" will continue to be successful because they have the determination, resolve and resources to out-work and out-compete. Or, they simply focus elsewhere and continue to be successful.

I feel for the guys that are frustrated about their back yard getting infested with recent pressure but it is what it is.
Get over it though as your area "aint" the only one.

hunter1993ap
08-31-2014, 11:38 AM
The reality is there are very few secrets in today's world fueled by social media and instant information sharing.
Hunting areas are not exempt to this culture and influence, nor is the WK and what its known for.
Region 8 continues with excessive pressure due to this, as well as other areas.
The advent of social media has focused the optics of the hunting community on to specific areas bringing unprecedented and disproportionate pressure. WK elk is no exception. Its the unfortunate reality of today.
You can either bitch about "your" area getting more and more company or you simply adapt and out-compete.

The "cherry picked" bulls are getting harder to come by but I am still astonished at the tremendous bulls coming out whole or in two pieces.
That will dry up soon enough.
I think the average hunter can easily get frustrated after a day or two of seeing every road patrolled daily with quads and multiple camps in every main drainage. The guys that "get it" will continue to be successful because they have the determination, resolve and resources to out-work and out-compete. Or, they simply focus elsewhere and continue to be successful.

I feel for the guys that are frustrated about their back yard getting infested with recent pressure but it is what it is.
Get over it though as your area "aint" the only one.

not to mention the ruggedness the WK is known for. very nasty country that most will not want to face. there are way more enjoyable areas to hunt with more elk, than the wk. but the Wk is know to hold a couple big bulls. its the trashy hunting conditions that make the majority of guys stay in the cut blocks or close to the roads. once you start plowing bush and feeling beat up after hiking these conditions you know what the WK is all about. I understand why guys don't leave the roads.

the internet has hurt some areas but there are still a lot of areas not "advertised", and people should try to keep it that way.

GoatGuy
08-31-2014, 12:33 PM
If you're seeing 'lots of hunters' or even 'some hunters' in the WK you're hunting in all the wrong spots.

Millions of acres of country with elk, and slim to no hunting activity. Guaranteed that lardeau/trout lake country looks deserted come fall and it's another spot that has produced a couple giants over the years.

Ourea
08-31-2014, 01:10 PM
If you're seeing 'lots of hunters' or even 'some hunters' in the WK you're hunting in all the wrong spots.

Millions of acres of country with elk, and slim to no hunting activity. Guaranteed that lardeau/trout lake country looks deserted come fall and it's another spot that has produced a couple giants over the years.

.....and no shortage of Grizzly Bears.

BlacktailStalker
08-31-2014, 01:22 PM
Never ceases to amaze me people think quality game should always be within an hour of the road. Or 4 or even 8.
Expand your perception of where 'aged' game needs To go to survive and go FIND them.
Accept the fact you just might have to spend more time packing and less time hunting to not be one of the people complainin year after year about how 'shitty' things really are.

Id rather wish I was dead for a day or two while packing the heaviest pack I've ever hoisted for longer than I physically think I can pack it than wish i tried harder for 360 days til my next chance at being successful.
Be a go getter or be a "I wish I went and got 'er"

GoatGuy
08-31-2014, 03:54 PM
.....and no shortage of Grizzly Bears.

hahaha, just like a lot of places.

More afraid of all the spot snatchers, bsers, and ambulance chasers as you go through Castlegar.

honda1
09-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Big bulls are gone people are shooting 5pnts and leaving them to rot sad days over here

hunter1993ap
09-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Big bulls are gone people are shooting 5pnts and leaving them to rot sad days over here
I think what you mean to say is, the big bulls are no longer as easy to get as the days when the WK was like a national park. I agree it is tough hunting over there but anywhere with a GOS will have its challenges. the pressure in the WK is having its effects, but the nasty country will always hold a couple nice bulls. you will never be able to compare the seasons before it went gos to now. but I will take opportunity to hunt elk over an leh any day, even if the bulls are extremely hard to find. plus I think you will see a reduction in pressure as time goes on, as the average hunter sees how difficult it is to be successful over there. there are way easier places to hunt for a nice six point bull.

.300WSMImpact!
09-05-2014, 08:46 PM

lol ya everyday

Rackmastr
09-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Still on my list of places to visit and hunt in BC since moving here. I love the backcountry and getting deep, and every time I'm over that way I love some of the country thats there.

Havent had much time to chase elk since moving to BC...but one of these days I'm going to plan a trip!

Bugle M In
09-05-2014, 09:35 PM

Sadly, 5pts are shot and left everywhere...EK's happens quite often.
As for hunting pressure, look at region 8 ( Princeton ), don't you think they get a lot of pressure??
They still exist there regardless.
What I fear is that too many roads are being pushed in everywhere ( logging ), and that hopefully there will be a stronger push to deactivate roads for starters.
But with quads etc, deactivating may not help, so vehicle restrictions may be the best resort....just my thoughts on that.
As for the 5 pts, I wish there could be a change to maybe a 3 pt or better ( maybe bow only, or some sort of group hunt permit consisting of 3 or more hunters that may only take 1 elk within the group )
Just a thought.
But I think it is better to have more regions open at the same time to better distribute hunter #'s across BC.
And if an area appears to be declining, than that is where money needs to be pushed to rehabilitate an area ( burns etc.), not just close it off.
There again, sadly, is when things fall apart due to low budgets and lack of government concern.
Things could work I believe if the system had money and all users ( FN included ), would follow it, so as to know what is going on. ( scientifically speaking I suppose )
But just cause someone says the area is dead, or wildlife is all gone, doesn't carry much weight in my books, Elk can be very elusive, at times even wolf like.

09-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Funny how many big 6x6 elk I see in the WK in November. They're not all getting shot

honda1
09-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Go out past Nelson there's lots of elk out there

HarryToolips
09-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Sadly, 5pts are shot and left everywhere...EK's happens quite often.
As for hunting pressure, look at region 8 ( Princeton ), don't you think they get a lot of pressure??
They still exist there regardless.
What I fear is that too many roads are being pushed in everywhere ( logging ), and that hopefully there will be a stronger push to deactivate roads for starters.
But with quads etc, deactivating may not help, so vehicle restrictions may be the best resort....just my thoughts on that.
As for the 5 pts, I wish there could be a change to maybe a 3 pt or better ( maybe bow only, or some sort of group hunt permit consisting of 3 or more hunters that may only take 1 elk within the group )
Just a thought.
But I think it is better to have more regions open at the same time to better distribute hunter #'s across BC.
And if an area appears to be declining, than that is where money needs to be pushed to rehabilitate an area ( burns etc.), not just close it off.
There again, sadly, is when things fall apart due to low budgets and lack of government concern.
Things could work I believe if the system had money and all users ( FN included ), would follow it, so as to know what is going on. ( scientifically speaking I suppose )
But just cause someone says the area is dead, or wildlife is all gone, doesn't carry much weight in my books, Elk can be very elusive, at times even wolf like.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, road deactivation would do wonders...for all the species..but like you said, some areas are hard to de-activate with quads, but certain types of areas it would work..