PDA

View Full Version : Antlerless vs either sex??

sausage lover
08-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Probably A stupid Question but im A noob and dont want to harvest the wrong deer! Can some one with more knowledge of the regs clarify the difference between antlerless and either sex! I have read the regs and still not sure if i can blast a doe during antlerless or not:-|!

08-21-2014, 12:16 PM
The application is the trouble. you need to know how each term applies to the regulations....
Antlerless is a season in an area where you can shoot animals with no antlers ( female's or freak deer )
Either sex is a season where you can shoot either sex, but for the most part only one animal......

but yes a doe is an antlerless animal. so if the season says "Antlerless" or "Either sex" as long as the female animal you shoot is the appropriate species your good.

if you post the area and time.. it might be easier to explain.........

Ozone
08-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Does the doe have antlers? If no, feel free to blast. If yes, its probably not a doe. Just so you know, there are does with antlers out there, there just far and few between and should be treated like a antlered animal.

08-21-2014, 12:25 PM
conversly there are also Males with no antlers.....and you can feel free to kill them..
Hence "Antlered and antlerless"

Papa Sasquatch
08-21-2014, 12:26 PM
My understanding is Anterless means ... No Antlers. Either sex means you can shoot any anterless deer or any deer with antlers like a big Buck unless otherwise define in appendix!

warnniklz
08-21-2014, 12:54 PM
I think people make this issue more complicated than it really is.

Fisher-Dude
08-21-2014, 01:12 PM
If you are hunting an antlerless season, and there is no concurrent antlered season, you can't shoot an antlered animal but you can shoot antlerless animals.

If you are hunting an antlerless season, and there is a concurrent antlered season, you can shoot either antlered or antlerless animals.

If you are hunting an either sex season, you can shoot either antlered or antlerless animals.

sausage lover
08-21-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the Lesson I need a beer now! Female deer with antlers :confused:

Ozone
08-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the Lesson I need a beer now! Female deer with antlers :confused:
If you search hard enough on here, you can find pictures of does with antlers.

Jelvis
08-21-2014, 09:30 PM
A few years ago it was bucks and does until the government changed it to antlerless.
Female deer are antlerless.
Because a buck fawn has bumps of hair and no bone showing it would be antlerless. Don't matter in this case about buck or doe. It's an antlerless.
If a buck dropped it's antlers b4 Dec 10th up here in Kammy it would be antlerless.
Either sex means you can shoot either one.
Jel -- Not buck or doe now it's antlered and antlerless.

russm86
08-22-2014, 07:45 AM
If you are hunting an antlerless season, and there is no concurrent antlered season, you can't shoot an antlered animal but you can shoot antlerless animals.

If you are hunting an antlerless season, and there is a concurrent antlered season, you can shoot either antlered or antlerless animals.

If you are hunting an either sex season, you can shoot either antlered or antlerless animals.

Be careful with that 2nd statement... the "concurrent antlered season" could have a point restricition, ie 4-point or better. So you could shoot only an antlerless or a buck that is 4-point or better not a spike, 2, or 3 point.

Fisher-Dude
08-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Be careful with that 2nd statement... the "concurrent antlered season" could have a point restricition, ie 4-point or better. So you could shoot only an antlerless or a buck that is 4-point or better not a spike, 2, or 3 point.

Correct.

Either sex comes with no antler point restrictions (at least thus far in BC regs, but who knows what stupidity is around the corner!).

Antlered "could" come with point restrictions.