PDA

View Full Version : Attention Moose Hunters - Prince George Area

kootenayelkslayer
08-20-2014, 08:26 PM
On behalf of the BC Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations, we are currently seeking help from moose hunters in the Prince George region.

As part of an on-going moose research project in the central-interior of BC, we are seeking moose heads to aid in the development of a new, non-invasive method of aging live moose. We require moose heads in order to test this method.

We are currently asking if successful, legal moose hunters would be willing to provide moose heads by donation. I'd like to clarify that this is not a requirement of successful moose hunters. We are seeking reasonably fresh (i.e., no maggots), intact moose heads with the hide attached. The skull plate may be removed if the hunter would like to retain the antlers.

If you are a successful moose hunter in the Prince George region, or are traveling through the region, please contact me at the phone number below and I can help arrange a pick-up or drop-off. Your support would be greatly appreciated!

You can contact me at: 250-961-5869

Thanks,

Mike

The Dawg
08-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Done. I have a shared draw so we could have 2 for you. Will keep you posted.

kootenayelkslayer
08-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Thanks NoahDawg. Best of luck!

chuckerb
08-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Will do if we fill are leh tags

remps
08-20-2014, 09:45 PM
How far out are you looking for? Have a shared hunt for 7-03

The Dawg
08-20-2014, 09:53 PM
Also- skinned or not?

kootenayelkslayer
08-20-2014, 10:13 PM
How far out are you looking for? Have a shared hunt for 7-03

We will take moose heads from anywhere in the province. I've specified the Prince George area simply for pick-up or drop-off purposes, as I/we can likely travel only an hour or so from PG to pick up moose heads. If you harvest a moose in 7-03 and happen to be coming through PG at some point afterwards, that would be great. If you may be coming through PG at a later date, the moose heads can certainly be frozen until that time. Thanks for asking.

Also- skinned or not?
Good point, thanks for mentioning that. We require the skin to be intact, particularly around the mouth area. I'll make a note of this in the original post.

quaint bucket
08-21-2014, 11:47 AM
What is the research for?

The Dawg
08-21-2014, 11:48 AM
As part of an on-going moose research project in the central-interior of BC, we are seeking moose heads to aid in the development of a new, non-invasive method of aging live moose. We require moose heads in order to test this method.

Says it right in his post

quaint bucket
08-21-2014, 12:12 PM
That doesn't really tell me a lot though. I don't understand why. :confused:

Spy
08-21-2014, 12:19 PM
That doesn't really tell me a lot though. I don't understand why. :confused:

What dont you get.??? They are trying to learn how to age moose, by not being invasive????

quaint bucket
08-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Well, I did not understand the meaning of the word "aging." It either meant accelerating the age of the moose or determining the age of the moose. I'm not sure why you're being so defensive when I'm merely asking questions to better understand what's going on.

Besides, I thought there was already research done on the subject. http://www.mooseworld.com/biologist.htm

Papa Sasquatch
08-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Maybe its a process so we can pre-age the meat for a few days before to shoot the moose(LOL) No more hanging of the meat! 8^O

quaint bucket
08-21-2014, 01:44 PM
http://forgottenflix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/weird_science.jpg

limit time
08-21-2014, 05:54 PM
...will we need to shoot moose of a certain age now?

kootenayelkslayer
08-21-2014, 06:45 PM
What is the research for?

The purpose of the moose heads is to test an non-invasive method of estimating the age of live moose. But this is part of a bigger, on-going moose study that is taking place across many regions, primarily investigating moose mortality.

Wild Images
08-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Won't have a moose but hopefully we can stop in with a couple rams in a week or two for a chat :-D

quaint bucket
08-21-2014, 08:37 PM
The purpose of the moose heads is to test an non-invasive method of estimating the age of live moose. But this is part of a bigger, on-going moose study that is taking place across many regions, primarily investigating moose mortality.

I learned something cool and you have piqud my curiousity. Is this related to the decline in moose population?

kootenayelkslayer
08-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Won't have a moose but hopefully we can stop in with a couple rams in a week or two for a chat :-D
I hope so too Ken!

I learned something cool and you have piqud my curiousity. Is this related to the decline in moose population?
Correct, the study is in response to the moose declines.

Liveforthehunt
08-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Me and the old man usually get a couple up north If we come down early we may be able to drop them off .... What about the skull being chopped out for antlers is this ok ?

kootenayelkslayer
08-22-2014, 05:40 AM
Great, thanks. Yes, the skull cap can be removed to retain the antlers.

kootenayelkslayer
09-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Tomorrow is opening day of moose rifle season for many of you moose hunters! Please keep my request in mind if you would like to contribute your moose heads. Good luck!

quaint bucket
09-09-2014, 04:04 PM
I asked a friend of mine to keep this in mind since he does go to Prince George for moose season. I don't think he'll be out there till October.

kootenayelkslayer
09-09-2014, 08:11 PM
I asked a friend of mine to keep this in mind since he does go to Prince George for moose season. I don't think he'll be out there till October.

Great, thank you.

tomahawk
09-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Got two bull draws in 7-7, headed your way on Sept 19th. Is there an issure with teeth and/or tongue removed? Grandson wants some teeth and the tongue is tasty. Is it possible to call any hour of any day (waking hours of course)?

kootenayelkslayer
09-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Got two bull draws in 7-7, headed your way on Sept 19th. Is there an issure with teeth and/or tongue removed? Grandson wants some teeth and the tongue is tasty. Is it possible to call any hour of any day (waking hours of course)?

Thanks for the inquiry. I can't answer with 100% certainty, but I think it would be okay if one or two incisors were removed. It may not ideal for us if the tongue was removed. We need to try to mimic the mouth of a live moose as best as possible, so a mouth without a tongue may not give us the best example of what we can expect on a live moose.

We'd likely be happy to take the head either way. So if you have some success and feel like contributing a head or two, feel free to give me a call during any waking hours!

BRvalley
09-10-2014, 09:42 AM
did the ministry send out one of their automatic emails? could've helped but missed this thread till now....still one more tag to go though, have your cell number saved

tomahawk
09-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Hope all you moose hunters are keeping this in mind and instead of throwing your heads away for the predators, give Mike a call. He will arrange to meet you and get the heads from you, no need for you to go out of your way to contribute to this cause. The bull moose around PG are rutting hard and just waiting for you to cut your LEH or immy tag!!

Boner
09-27-2014, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry I just noticed this thread. Mine stayed with the gut pile in 7-43. I'll tell my friends in town!

kootenayelkslayer
09-28-2014, 10:29 AM
Hope all you moose hunters are keeping this in mind and instead of throwing your heads away for the predators, give Mike a call. He will arrange to meet you and get the heads from you, no need for you to go out of your way to contribute to this cause. The bull moose around PG are rutting hard and just waiting for you to cut your LEH or immy tag!!

Thanks to everyone that has helped and inquired so far. At this point, it looks like we've received enough heads for our purposes. However, if you're still interested in contributing, we will happily take the lower jaw from any moose that you harvest. You can bring me the head and I can cut the jaw out, or you can simply bring the jaw if you are able to remove it.

Thanks again!