PDA

View Full Version : ATV registration/insurance

sthdslayer
08-20-2014, 03:50 PM
I am having trouble finding a definitive answer to what the current regulations are regarding atv's.
I understand you need liability insurance.But could not find if you need a helmut or if you need to register. I believe the legislation is in process but can't figure out at what stage it is at.

Thanks

300H&H
08-20-2014, 03:56 PM
You do need liability insurance.
As long as your are "off road" you do not need to wear a helmet.
On a "road or FSR" you must wear a brain bucket.
It has been the law for a while.

Capri Insurance in Kelowna is very helpful and good prices for insurance.

www.capri.ca

2chodi
08-20-2014, 03:59 PM
The legislation was passed, but as far as I know the regulations have not been set yet. They say the regs are supposed to come into effect later in the fall.

Good2bCanadian
08-20-2014, 04:39 PM
I bet there will be a one year grace period to get everyone plated up.

REMINGTON JIM
08-20-2014, 04:53 PM
ALWAYS wear a Helmet ! :wink:

Sofa King
08-20-2014, 06:20 PM
who would be enforcing the helmet law? the CO's?
would a CO actually ticket you for a helmet?

adamgarbett
08-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Go see the girls at interior savings insurance in the mission...the cute little blonde one is super helpful ;) lol

Ozone
08-20-2014, 06:45 PM

I would hope so.

curt
08-20-2014, 06:48 PM
The CO's will only enforce wild life related issue's as far as I understand that is why often rcmp are with them to enforce other stuff.

2chodi
08-20-2014, 06:49 PM

I am sure the COs could be involved but FLNRO has 156 Natural Resources Officers (NROs) who mostly came from the old ministry of forests. They are in charge of enforcing the Forest, Lands, and Water acts.

Iron Glove
08-20-2014, 07:09 PM
The CO's will only enforce wild life related issue's as far as I understand that is why often rcmp are with them to enforce other stuff.

CO's can enforce much more than Wild Life issues such as ATV Insurance, Helmet wearing, Boat Operator's Liscences .........................
And to the original poster, take a look at Oasis for your liability insurance.

.330 Dakota
08-20-2014, 09:23 PM

Ive talked to CO's about this while in Smithers last year. They said they are able to write the ticket for the helmet themselves, but in their area they dont bother with it unless the guy is being a dick, then they will enforce it. They mentioned that the CO's in other parts of the province do enforce it regularily.
Its good policy to wear one anyway for your own protection.

Ltbullken
08-20-2014, 09:29 PM
If you are a member of the BCWF, you have insurance right? Or....?

savagecanuck
08-20-2014, 09:40 PM
ICBC has been tasked to handle registration. They are too busy too handle it until 2015.200,000 liability insurance is required to ride on FSR. Cheapest insurance is usually through your local fish and game clubs. I pay $80 a year for club membership, which also means membership to BCWF. You need to prove your hunting, scouting, fishing etc if stopped by a Co.

Darksith
08-20-2014, 09:42 PM
forget going to buy insurance...get a BCWF membership and get insurance with the membership!

Sofa King
08-20-2014, 09:53 PM

cops are only with them at the stops at the bottom of the fsr's.
mounties have no jurisdiction up there.

Dannybuoy
08-20-2014, 09:59 PM

Seriously ??? :confused:

Dannybuoy
08-20-2014, 10:00 PM
forget going to buy insurance...get a BCWF membership and get insurance with the membership!

This is what I do !

Sofa King
08-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Seriously ??? :confused:

they'll go up to respond to an emergency, but you'll never see them patrolling.
it's foresty's roads, they technically are not public roads.
the rules of the road are pretty much out the window once you're up there.

bearheart
08-20-2014, 10:41 PM

BCWF insurance is liability only? Not for theft? thanks

300H&H
08-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Go see the girls at interior savings insurance in the mission...the cute little blonde one is super helpful ;) lol

Ooooo do you mean Alexandria ? She is a GODDESS !!!

300H&H
08-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Of you are a member of the BCWF, you have insurance right? Or....?

No...that is third party insurance up to $200,000.
No collision or comprehensive.

Walksalot
08-21-2014, 06:37 AM

The CO's enforcement ability is far more reaching than that.

bc_buckshot
08-21-2014, 06:45 AM
they'll go up to respond to an emergency, but you'll never see them patrolling.
it's foresty's roads, they technically are not public roads.
the rules of the road are pretty much out the window once you're up there.

Inccorrect.... Rcmp do and can go up fsr roads and can bust you for helmets, licenses, fines ect. They normally do sit on the bottom of the roads because thats when you think your almost there home free. But i have and they do travel up and down frs roads. If you think im wrong then explain why mission rcmp have a trailer with 4 honda atvs with police on the side coming and going to stave lake and sylvester road?

Iron Glove
08-21-2014, 07:19 AM

Fine if you are only using the ATV " while engaged in hunting and fishing activities."
Any other uses, you'd better have other Insurance.

elkeater
08-21-2014, 07:21 AM
A. ive seen rcmp up in the bush as well but there usually looking for people growing stuff!!!
B. I have only seen a CO like twice in the bush ( pretty sad) last I heard they don't even give them enough gas money

r106
08-21-2014, 08:33 AM

haha. That's funny. They do have jurisdiction up there. They have 4x4 SUV's, Trucks and ATV's for a reason. They may not patrol it like the city but they do go up.

krazy
08-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Fine if you are only using the ATV " while engaged in hunting and fishing activities."
Any other uses, you'd better have other Insurance.

Every time I'm on my ATV I'm scouting ... BCWF membership is the way to go.

139grainsofhell
08-21-2014, 09:08 AM
I ran into them on the fsr's there were two of them on atv stopping everyone they met and handing out 300$$ fines for no liability insurance also came out of the bush onto a main logging road to have a RCMP there waiting to inform me I had to be 400meters off the road.get the bcwf insurance or homeowners or tenants insurance.that is until they make new rules.

Ltbullken
08-21-2014, 09:17 AM
No...that is third party insurance up to $200,000.
No collision or comprehensive.

Collision and comprehensive? On a quad?

Theft - that's why you have property insurance?

Sofa King
08-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Inccorrect.... Rcmp do and can go up fsr roads and can bust you for helmets, licenses, fines ect. They normally do sit on the bottom of the roads because thats when you think your almost there home free. But i have and they do travel up and down frs roads. If you think im wrong then explain why mission rcmp have a trailer with 4 honda atvs with police on the side coming and going to stave lake and sylvester road?

that's something I've never witnessed.
I don't see how they can have jurisdiction, fsr's are not public roads.
that is the reason why they stay at the bottom.
even when the terrace mt fire was on, it was a forestry roadblock at esperon, not an rcmp roadblock, as someone had told me it was.
there wasn't one rc up there, they stayed down at the pavement.
maybe it's just coincidence and they actually rule the bush also.

ruger#1
08-21-2014, 10:16 AM
even when the terrace mt fire was on, it was a forestry roadblock at esperon, not an rcmp roadblock, as someone had told me it was.
maybe it's just coincidence and they actually rule the bush also. They are up the logging roads around here lots. They enforce the fire bans. They have a few 4X4s and a couple of quads. They also have a boat for Stave lake and the fraser. I know when they go up there. I also know when the COs are there. Any road you can drive a car on, They can ticket you. They also enforce the shooting regs, And ticket people for not complying with the rules.

Iron Glove
08-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Every time I'm on my ATV I'm scouting ... BCWF membership is the way to go.

All I am saying is what the BCWF coverage is. You can take your chances if stopped. It's up to you to prove the use of the ATV at the time, is it worth the hassle and a possible fine for what, $75 a year?
If you truly only ever use your ATV for hunting and fishing, go for it but be careful.

Iron Glove
08-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Collision and comprehensive? On a quad?

Theft - that's why you have property insurance?

Yes, you can buy "collision and comp" on a quad to cover hitting another quad or vehicle, a roll over, vandalism, a lot of perils and it's very unlikely that your property insurance ( i.e. Homeowners ) provides any coverage on your quad.

Ltbullken
08-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Yes, you can buy "collision and comp" on a quad to cover hitting another quad or vehicle, a roll over, vandalism, a lot of perils and it's very unlikely that your property insurance ( i.e. Homeowners ) provides any coverage on your quad.

How much is said collision & comp on a quad? Probably a good diea to check with your insurance provider about what homeowners insurance covers. Had a theft before and the items covered seemed fairly broad to say the least...

Sofa King
08-21-2014, 11:21 AM
They are up the logging roads around here lots. They enforce the fire bans. They have a few 4X4s and a couple of quads. They also have a boat for Stave lake and the fraser. I know when they go up there. I also know when the COs are there. Any road you can drive a car on, They can ticket you. They also enforce the shooting regs, And ticket people for not complying with the rules.

what can they actually ticket you for though?
pretty much most rules of the road are void on fsr's.
there's no speed lim its, you don't have to wear your seatbelt, there's no centerlines, etc, etc..
I've even been unable to get a straight answer from insurance as to whether or not my vehicles insurance is even valid on fsrs or if it's basically void when you are up there.

Sofa King
08-21-2014, 11:24 AM
All I am saying is what the BCWF coverage is. You can take your chances if stopped. It's up to you to prove the use of the ATV at the time, is it worth the hassle and a possible fine for what, $75 a year?
If you truly only ever use your ATV for hunting and fishing, go for it but be careful.

I agree with IG.
it sounds like it could be a pain in the ass if one had to actually get technical in trying to prove they were hunting or fishing.
plus, what if you just wanted to go out during the summer?
I'd rather know I'm fully covered at all times.

Fisher-Dude
08-21-2014, 12:01 PM
maybe it's just coincidence and they actually rule the bush also.

Does a cop have jurisdiction in a mall parking lot (a private road) for charging you if you run over gramma on her way to the hairdresser? I'd say yes.

ruger#1
08-21-2014, 12:24 PM
there's no speed lim its, you don't have to wear your seatbelt, there's no centerlines, etc, etc..
I've even been unable to get a straight answer from insurance as to whether or not my vehicles insurance is even valid on fsrs or if it's basically void when you are up there.There are speed limits on FSRs. It is Max 80KMS. They will also ticket you for having no insurance.

ruger#1
08-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Please read and learn something ,Before you get in trouble. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/tasb/legsregs/archive/fpc/fpcaregs/fsroadus/fsrur.htm

bc_buckshot
08-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Does a cop have jurisdiction in a mall parking lot (a private road) for charging you if you run over gramma on her way to the hairdresser? I'd say yes.

RCMP is federal which means they can go where they please unless its private land. As goes for anything that has to do with firearms. This shouldn't be a debate what they can do or cant do. Bottom line is you should always have your ducks in a row it being having the proper licence, wouldn't hurt to have insurance in case of accidents ect... When it comes down to it, you dont want to be that person being stopped on a fsr road and getting drilled.

And if you wanna try your luck, crack open a "road pop" next time you see a CO or RCMP on a dirt road and tell him "Hey its crown land I can do whatever"...

ruger#1
08-21-2014, 12:45 PM
http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2009-2013/2009FOR0022-000096.htm

ruger#1
08-21-2014, 12:48 PM
http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2009-2013/2009FOR0021-000090.htm HEADLIGHTS SHOULD REMAIN ON AT ALL TIMES
LOGGING TRUCKS AND EQUIPMENT HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY AT ALL TIMES
BE PREPARED FOR WINTER TRAVEL

257stew
08-21-2014, 12:53 PM
We went thru this on another thread a while back.

I bought $1m liability and $10k search and rescue and $25K accidental injury for $135. I looked at buying a membership in the local R&G but then only myself would be insured to ride any quad. I could buy a family membership to cover wive and 2 daughters but I figured that letting my girls use the bike I would always need to tell them that they are 'fishing' and then they need gear and a license to prove they are fishing, so add the cost of a fishing license and membership and your up at $135.

What I got is a bike that is insured and can be driven by anyone over 16. This means my daughters can drive it and do not need to be 'fishing' or 'hunting'. Plasticized the policy and taped it into the lid of my dry box. They get stopped and they can prove they have $1m liability and they are good to go, do not need to fabricate a "I am fishing" story as they mostly like to go for a little ride down the logging road when it is nice out, so why force them to lie.

So my bike is covered. Insurance policy has make ,model and serial number so I need to be riding that atv. I did ask the question "what happens if I need to ride someone else atv and get stopped. The insurance company told me I would have coverage thru my house insurance. I did ask how I would prove that out in the bush, they did not know but did state that they would give me a letter stating that I am covered and I could then plasticize it and carry it with me. I gave them a real world situation of my bike is in a slash at a kill and I/we realize we forgot something we need back at the camp/cabin/truck etc and I jump on my buddies atv to go get what we need. I get stopped, now what? They said I would be covered for liabilty on my house insurance.

I did talk to a fellow at the insurance company that handles the policy of our local gun club. He did say that doing such things like building a tree stand, preseason scouting, building trails, using and maintaining tree cams etc. are all hunting related activities. Also if one looks at the area they live and ride in there will actually be very few months were there is not some sort of open hunting season.Here in my area only July has no open season that I could find, but then the rivers are all full of salmon so that month is covered as well.

Best thing I can recommend is go into the local insurance company you usually deal with and talk to them. That is what I did. I also got a quote and a copy of what I would be covered for and also got the same from the local R&G and compared them.

Cheers 257Stew

ruger#1
08-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Stew. Where did you buy this insurance? Sounds like a good deal of protection.

Dannybuoy
08-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks for posting those links ruger#1 , I just figured that was common knowledge but from this thread (and others) I see there is a lot of misinformation out there .

Singleshotneeded
08-21-2014, 01:12 PM
You do need liability insurance.
As long as your are "off road" you do not need to wear a helmet.
On a "road or FSR" you must wear a brain bucket.
It has been the law for a while.

Capri Insurance in Kelowna is very helpful and good prices for insurance.

www.capri.ca (http://www.capri.ca)

X2...I've seen a lot of quadders riding around FSR's near their camping areas without helmets, and hunters in season without helmets on FSRs, and there's been no enforcement. I've talked with a CO once while on my quad with shooting glasses(NEVER quad without something over your eyes), and a mad trapper fur hat on(the padding on the forehead is great if you don't duck far enough under an overhanging branch), :-) and he mentioned a helmet is a good idea, but agreed it interferes with shooting and glassing. So as things are now, if you're racing your quad to a spot or playing around, wear a helmet...if you're hunting, ride slow and wear eye protection and something like a trapper hat isn't a bad idea.

Fisher-Dude
08-21-2014, 01:16 PM
^^^ Keep in mind that some insurance policies are void if you're not wearing a helmet.

Good2bCanadian
08-21-2014, 01:23 PM
So the other day I saw a city if Vancouver Bylaw enforcer riding a moped type bike on the street and was wearing a bicycle helmet.
I wonder if a basic bicycle helmet would suffice on my quad, or do I need to wear a full DOT approved helmet.

ruger#1
08-21-2014, 01:27 PM
I would like to wear a beene halmet. http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/road-safety/motorcycles.htm#helmet http://leatherup.ca/c/Half-Face-Motorcycle-Helmets/2/284.html

Singleshotneeded
08-21-2014, 01:38 PM
No, a bicycle helmet won't protect you in an accident at motorized speeds, and the laws pertaining to helmets for quads and motorcycles stipulate a DOT approved helmet. Mine isn't anything fancy, but extends out at the bottom to protect the face and I wear it with photochromic UV goggles that darken with sunlight on open FSRs and lighten back up on the trails. My helmet is both DOT and SNELL(an agency with tougher standards than DOT) approved, and still very reasonably priced. You're only issued one pair of eyes and one brain, if you lose your eyesight or become a vegetable you'll most definitely be ecstatic that you saved that $125 on a proper helmet and goggles...in fact you'll probably congratulate yourself daily for years on your brilliance! :-)

257stew
08-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Stew. Where did you buy this insurance? Sounds like a good deal of protection.

Bough it from Envision insurance in Kitimat, policy is with 'Beacon Underwriters'

They asked if I wanted the $10k of S&R and I thought about it. Figured if I ever am in a n ATV accident then I may need to be airlifted out and I would be covered for the heli ride.

Sofa King
08-21-2014, 01:43 PM
There are speed limits on FSRs. It is Max 80KMS. They will also ticket you for having no insurance.

I've never seen a posted speed limit on any fsrs I travel.
who's gonna ticket you?
fsrs belong to the forestry and try clocking them on a Friday afternoon coming down from work.
that is if they don't run you over first.

Sofa King
08-21-2014, 01:45 PM
We went thru this on another thread a while back.

I bought $1m liability and $10k search and rescue and $25K accidental injury for $135. I looked at buying a membership in the local R&G but then only myself would be insured to ride any quad. I could buy a family membership to cover wive and 2 daughters but I figured that letting my girls use the bike I would always need to tell them that they are 'fishing' and then they need gear and a license to prove they are fishing, so add the cost of a fishing license and membership and your up at $135.

What I got is a bike that is insured and can be driven by anyone over 16. This means my daughters can drive it and do not need to be 'fishing' or 'hunting'. Plasticized the policy and taped it into the lid of my dry box. They get stopped and they can prove they have $1m liability and they are good to go, do not need to fabricate a "I am fishing" story as they mostly like to go for a little ride down the logging road when it is nice out, so why force them to lie.

So my bike is covered. Insurance policy has make ,model and serial number so I need to be riding that atv. I did ask the question "what happens if I need to ride someone else atv and get stopped. The insurance company told me I would have coverage thru my house insurance. I did ask how I would prove that out in the bush, they did not know but did state that they would give me a letter stating that I am covered and I could then plasticize it and carry it with me. I gave them a real world situation of my bike is in a slash at a kill and I/we realize we forgot something we need back at the camp/cabin/truck etc and I jump on my buddies atv to go get what we need. I get stopped, now what? They said I would be covered for liabilty on my house insurance.

I did talk to a fellow at the insurance company that handles the policy of our local gun club. He did say that doing such things like building a tree stand, preseason scouting, building trails, using and maintaining tree cams etc. are all hunting related activities. Also if one looks at the area they live and ride in there will actually be very few months were there is not some sort of open hunting season.Here in my area only July has no open season that I could find, but then the rivers are all full of salmon so that month is covered as well.

Best thing I can recommend is go into the local insurance company you usually deal with and talk to them. That is what I did. I also got a quote and a copy of what I would be covered for and also got the same from the local R&G and compared them.

Cheers 257Stew

I think this sums up the best thing to do.

Sofa King
08-21-2014, 01:51 PM

well yeah, because there was an accident, they'd respond.
but I don't think they'd be patrolling that same lot with their speed-guns.

this could be maybe why there's almost never any stop signs where a stores parking lot exits onto a road.
why is that?
you see it occasionally but probably just because that particular place decided to.
but in general, when pulling out of 7-11 or the carwash, etc, there's no stopsign where that road meets the other.

Singleshotneeded
08-21-2014, 01:56 PM
I would like to wear a beene halmet. http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/road-safety/motorcycles.htm#helmet http://leatherup.ca/c/Half-Face-Motorcycle-Helmets/2/284.html

I'm thinking if you get thrown and do a face plant on the rocks and gravel, or smash your face into a tree, the pain/agony/expense of the reconstructive/plastic surgery to make you look human again wouldn't be worth it just to look like your fave Hell's Angel hero while out there in the bush quadding! :-D

ruger#1
08-21-2014, 02:08 PM
I've never seen a posted speed limit on any fsrs I travel.
who's gonna ticket you?
fsrs belong to the forestry and try clocking them on a Friday afternoon coming down from work.
that is if they don't run you over first. Speed restriction
4. A person must operate a motor vehicle on a forest service road at a speed that

(a) is safe for the conditions, and

(b) does not exceed the lesser of

(i) 80 km/h, and

(ii) the speed posted on a relevant traffic control device.

ruger#1
08-21-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm thinking if you get thrown and do a face plant on the rocks and gravel, or smash your face into a tree, the pain/agony/expense of the reconstructive/plastic surgery to make you look human again wouldn't be worth it just to look like your fave Hell's Angel hero while out there in the bush quadding! :-D

Ha Ha, What makes you think I look human?

BearStump
08-21-2014, 03:30 PM
I've even been unable to get a straight answer from insurance as to whether or not my vehicles insurance is even valid on fsrs or if it's basically void when you are up there.

driving with undue care and attention.
driving under the influence
etc etc etc

Good2bCanadian
08-21-2014, 03:32 PM

So you really think people choose beanies so they can hunt and look like HA members?

Seems a little far fetched.

Singleshotneeded
08-21-2014, 03:43 PM
So you really think people choose beanies so they can hunt and look like HA members?

Seems a little far fetched.

Ruger #1, I just assumed someone with the good taste to appreciate a Ruger #1 rifle would look human? LOL
Canadian, I put a big smiley on the end of that sentence for a reason, lol... Beanie helmets have no place in dirt biking or quadding at speed, in off road motorsports. Doesn't matter why anyone would want one, the fact is they don't do the job. If you're in an accident off road, you're probably going to smack a tree or rocks, and you need a full face helmet to protect your face. If you're hunting and riding at a relaxed pace to your hunting spot, then you might as well wear a head covering that keeps you warm along with eye protection like shooting glasses, that doesn't affect your shooting ability.

Rock Doctor
08-21-2014, 03:55 PM
So the other day I saw a city if Vancouver Bylaw enforcer riding a moped type bike on the street and was wearing a bicycle helmet.
I wonder if a basic bicycle helmet would suffice on my quad, or do I need to wear a full DOT approved helmet.

I could be wrong, but last I heard, if the "Moped" is under 50cc, no Drivers licence is required, and it's classed as a Bike so a Bike helmet is probably required. This may have changed since all the "Pocket Bikes" have started turning up though.
Still can't use them in areas where mortorized vehicles are prohibited though.

RD

Good2bCanadian
08-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Ruger #1, I just assumed someone with the good taste to appreciate a Ruger #1 rifle would look human? LOL
Canadian, I put a big smiley on the end of that sentence for a reason, lol... Beanie helmets have no place in dirt biking or quadding at speed, in off road motorsports. Doesn't matter why anyone would want one, the fact is they don't do the job. If you're in an accident off road, you're probably going to smack a tree or rocks, and you need a full face helmet to protect your face. If you're hunting and riding at a relaxed pace to your hunting spot, then you might as well wear a head covering that keeps you warm along with eye protection like shooting glasses, that doesn't affect your shooting ability.

I agree as well.
When I gear up to trail ride on my motocross, I'm wearing $1500 of safety gear. It has saved my bacon.

If I'm hunting and putting along, I do think a basic helmet, and operating intelligently, is a safe method.

Every bike accident I have seen has been on a FSR at speed with the majority being rookie riders.

Our group of offroad riders, ride hard, ride smart and we have been safe over the last 10years.

I think the COs will enforce the helmet laws on main FSRs and people riding fast. Gramps putting along on his big red at. Like he has been since the early 80s, I don't want to see the COs going after that.

Jackasses need to be enforced.

Rob Chipman
08-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Riding motocross is one thing, putting along on a dirt road is another. I'm no quad expert, but I'm pretty sure mine can go way faster than is really safe. My biggest danger seems to be flipping it at low speeds trying to get it over some really rough stuff when its loaded with a lot of gear. Mind you, I seldom go faster than a dog can comfortably run, usually slower, and I often use the quad to get me to a trailhead, so...I'm probably sticking with my baseball hat.

35 kmh on a regular FSR? You should be wearing a helmet.

Singleshotneeded
08-21-2014, 04:10 PM
I reckon we're on the same page, when I'm quadding hard I've got my full face helmet, goggles, gloves, boots, and Joe Rocket armoured riding jacket. When putting along hunting, I wear a fur trappers' hat with some good padding on the forehead for those low branches and shooting glasses. I don't think anyone should quad at any speed without eye protection...I know a guy who had a wasp fly into his eye while putting along at jogging speed who drove his quad off the trail. He damaged the quad, got some bruises, but was okay because he was going slowly and there wasn't any big drop off the trail. He wears shooting glasses on his quad during hunting season now. :-)

Mauser98
08-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Mall and other parking lots are deemed to be part of our highway system.

From the Motor Vehicle Act

"Highway" include:

(a) every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act (http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/04044_01),
(b) every road, street, lane or right of way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and
(c) every private place or passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited,

Colinofthewoods
08-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Does the bcwf insurance cover the atv or the rider ?

Good2bCanadian
08-21-2014, 04:40 PM
Even know I wear all my moto gear. I did get stabbed with a stick in my calf just above my boot line. It snapped off and left the stick in my leg.

Sticks to the neck, guts or eyes is what really concerns me.

Slow speed sketchy maneuvers, I either won't bother or have my friend spot me or hook up the winch.

Be safe everybody. Your kids depend on you.

Sofa King
08-21-2014, 06:43 PM
driving with undue care and attention.
driving under the influence
etc etc etc

what would be "undue care and attention"?
I can drive wherever I want, there's no center lines or lane lines.
pretty sure I can burn a nut all I want.
they can write any ticket they want, enforcing it the court of law is a whole other ball game.
besides, like I mentioned, I've never, ever seen a cruiser on a fsr.

Fisher-Dude
08-21-2014, 06:44 PM
A friend of mine was putting along at 5 miles an hour. He woke up some minutes later with his quad upside down, half an ear, and a concussion.

Sofa King
08-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Speed restriction
4. A person must operate a motor vehicle on a forest service road at a speed that

(a) is safe for the conditions, and

(b) does not exceed the lesser of

(i) 80 km/h, and

(ii) the speed posted on a relevant traffic control device.

I've never seen that, interesting.
is that under the motor vehicle act or forestry's rules?
80 km is pretty darn fast on the fsrs.

Sofa King
08-21-2014, 06:48 PM
A friend of mine was putting along at 5 miles an hour. He woke up some minutes later with his quad upside down, half an ear, and a concussion.

eyes open is still a good idea.

Good2bCanadian
08-21-2014, 07:00 PM

Wow he sucks

Darksith
08-21-2014, 07:13 PM
you can get insurance for anything...but as far as Im concerned, its a waste of money for the most part. I will insure something like my vehicle simply because there are a lot of idiots on the same roads as me, if the bank didn't make me carry fire insurance for my house I wouldn't carry it, you can get disability insurance, death insurance you name it...bottom line is if the risk was too high, they wouldn't offer insurance for it...why spend more than bare minimum in most cases? To each their own, but I wonder how often someone makes an insurance claim from an ATV? Probably slim to none.

Hunterguy
08-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Icbc 7 dollars a day will get you fire,theft and liability for a quad valued at 6000 dollars.

Kudu
08-21-2014, 10:05 PM

Exactly, keep a tiny telescopic rod and reel on the quad.......

Iron Glove
08-21-2014, 11:38 PM
Does the bcwf insurance cover the atv or the rider ?

It provides liability insurance to protect you, the BCWF Member against liability to a Third party arising out of your use of an ATV whilst engaged in hunting or fishing activities.

Iron Glove
08-21-2014, 11:39 PM
Icbc 7 dollars a day will get you fire,theft and liability for a quad valued at 6000 dollars.

So @ $2,500 if you want it for a year, i.e. 365 days?
Sounds pretty steep.

adriaticum
08-21-2014, 11:42 PM
http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/specialty-vehicles/pages/off-road-vehicles.aspx

Goose
08-22-2014, 01:55 AM
Just checking out helmets that you could actually shoot with, and came across these styles
http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2014-Spring-Fall/#99
Has anyone found anything else that could keep within the regulations and still be DOT approved?
Cheers

Fisher-Dude
08-22-2014, 05:52 AM

eyes open is still a good idea.

Wow he sucks

The point that may have been lost on some is that serious accidents can happen even at low speeds.

Good2bCanadian
08-22-2014, 06:59 AM
I don't buy it.

i suggest your friend sell his quad and stick to walking

Fisher-Dude
08-22-2014, 11:49 AM
I don't buy it.

i suggest your friend sell his quad and stick to walking

He did for a while, but is back in the saddle again. His wife thinks like you. Are you a chick? :D

Good2bCanadian
08-22-2014, 12:11 PM
If you feel your skill warrants that you need to protect yourself for 5mph walking speeds then go ahead.

Your friend must have been drunk, not paying attention or lacks basic skill to wind up in that bad of an accident at 5mph.

Ive done plenty of sports growing up, I know how to assess risk and cover my ass as I see fit.

Don't bust a hip old man

Ozone
08-22-2014, 12:30 PM
If you don't ware a helmet for your own driving, ware one for the logging truck that's going by you throwing rocks.

Fisher-Dude
08-22-2014, 01:10 PM
If you feel your skill warrants that you need to protect yourself for 5mph walking speeds then go ahead.

Your friend must have been drunk, not paying attention or lacks basic skill to wind up in that bad of an accident at 5mph.

Ive done plenty of sports growing up, I know how to assess risk and cover my ass as I see fit.

Don't bust a hip old man

Usually overconfidence like you're displaying is what results in a bad accident.

My friend is an intelligent, aware guy who has grown up in the backwoods, and has harvested animals that most of us can only dream of. He simply hit a small slick spot from a seep on the low side and a bit of a hump on the high side and it was enough to flip him on his ass. It doesn't take much when the perfect conditions combine to create a hazard that none of us could have predicted. That's why the call them "accidents."

Good2bCanadian
08-22-2014, 02:45 PM
I have never acted overconfident in my life. My personal risk accessment in my brain does not allow that.

I raced multiple years on the PNWMA circuit as well as the BC DH circuit. I rode with confidence. As soon as the overconfidence came up, I would slow or act accordingly. If I didn't ride confident. That's when mistakes happen.
Think how fast your brain computes at that speed on those trails. It took years of practice and skill to get there.
When I felt confident I would nail it. Second guess.... And your in trouble.

I think your friend made a mistake at 5mph that resulted in one less ear. It has nothing to do with it being an accident. He didn't read the terrain at 5mph and it resulted in a major mistake. His fault.

Ill keep risk accessing everyday of my life and will wear what I deem necessary to keep myself safe.

Obviously you feel the need to wear a helmet at 5mph so I encourage you to cause that's your personal risk assessment.

I do wear a helmet when recreation riding. I do wear my snowboard helmet. I do wear my life jacket. I do wear my safety goggles and ear protection at work. I do wear my quad helmet while operating on main FSRs. I do wear my $450 Dianese body suit and carbon fibre helmet and Leatt brace while riding my 450 off road.
I do go cautiously down the coquihalla snowshed in the snow even know I have excellent tires and 4wd.

But being told that what if......... You better wear your helmet for going 5mph putting along on an easy going trail is a bit of a reach for myself personally.

I don't need legislation to cover my ass. I have been doing that for many years on my own and have done just fine.

Yeah maybe a what if day may happen. In that case I'll take my lumps, just like anything else in life that's out of my control.

This has nothing to do with being overconfident, it has everything to do with being confident and acting accordingly.

I encourage everyone to act confident and act safe. Confident and safe is a personal risk assessments everyone needs to make on there own. For you people that need the legislation to keep you safe then I'm glad that works for you.

karmutzen
10-14-2014, 05:38 PM
FWIW, I tried to buy the $200,000 liability insurance on a dirt bike today. So I can cross a FSR road. Got nowhere. Tried Megson Fitzpatrick first because they've done some motorcycle insurance for me before but they sent me to Capri. Capri said they do ATV but not dirt bike and said to try Beacon. No answer. Tried the help line at ICBC and they said any Autoplan agent can sell me unlicensed vehicle liability, so I went to one. After an hour of phone calls to ICBC and back they told me that the legislation and regulations are changing and they would have more information on November 17 (2014), but as of today they could not sell me a policy.

Can I just push my bike or ATV across the FSR road?

swampthing
10-14-2014, 06:02 PM
I grew up racing dirt bikes and then moved to racing quads. Expert class. While out putting around hunting on my lifted high performance 4x4 quad, without a helmet, I rolled it over onto my lips! First time I ever had a quad upside down. Figuring I could outride 95% of people out there my ego was bruised more than my face but I went and bought a cool camo open face helmet that I now where while hunting. Stuff happens.

Sofa King
10-14-2014, 06:05 PM
FWIW, I tried to buy the $200,000 liability insurance on a dirt bike today. So I can cross a FSR road. Got nowhere. Tried Megson Fitzpatrick first because they've done some motorcycle insurance for me before but they sent me to Capri. Capri said they do ATV but not dirt bike and said to try Beacon. No answer. Tried the help line at ICBC and they said any Autoplan agent can sell me unlicensed vehicle liability, so I went to one. After an hour of phone calls to ICBC and back they told me that the legislation and regulations are changing and they would have more information on November 17 (2014), but as of today they could not sell me a policy.

you could push it across.
or, you could make sure nobody is there and drive across.
you are only breaking the law if you are caught.
you tried everything you could do to do the right thing, if they can't help you, that's not your fault.

Gun Dog
10-14-2014, 06:28 PM

You can try:
Johnston Meier Insurance Agencies Group
19978 - 72nd Avenue, Suite #101
Langley, BC
V2Y 1R7

Tel: 604-533-0333
Toll Free Tel: 1-888-564-7687
Fax: 604-533-7004
Email: langley@jmins.com

They do a lot of ATV insurance and know what to do. I can't remember if they use Capri or Oasis.

curt
10-15-2014, 04:20 PM
I was pulled over last week in the boneparte country 2 co's checked us over good at the end they asked if we had liability insurance we did but they didn't ask to see it then they reminded us we need to be wearing helmets non of us had them but they did nothing!?

The CO's enforcement ability is far more reaching than that.

.330 Dakota
10-15-2014, 05:08 PM

Try Lloyds of London,,through any broker. I have 5 million in liability, fire, theft, etc on mine

.330 Dakota
10-15-2014, 05:13 PM

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police have jurisdiction everywhere in Canada. Just because they dont do something doesnt mean they cant

Doostien
10-15-2014, 08:17 PM
I was pulled over last week in the boneparte country 2 co's checked us over good at the end they asked if we had liability insurance we did but they didn't ask to see it then they reminded us we need to be wearing helmets non of us had them but they did nothing!?

Likely they didn't want to ticket you. From my experience most CO's aren't ticket crazy as they don't have quotas. They'd much rather educate than enforce. That being said they are technically 'Peace Officers' meaning they can enforce most anything the Cops can. Likely they made note that they told you about the helmets so it will probably show up on the computer if you're stopped again.

Though, most CO's I know would only enforce helmets if the person was doing something dangerous not putting down the road. Then again, some CO's might be more power trippy than others.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police have jurisdiction everywhere in Canada. Just because they dont do something doesnt mean they cant

Yep, so long as it's an act they can enforce, they will no matter where it happens. I live on an FSR and the police show up whenever I've needed them.

boxhitch
10-15-2014, 08:22 PM

you could make sure nobody is there and drive across.
you are only breaking the law if you are caught.
you tried everything you could do to do the right thing, if they can't help you, that's not your fault
sofaking full of ..it

CTC
10-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Both RCMP and your local CO would be considered Peace Officers under Section 2 of the Criminal Code of Canada. The Code does not differentiate and gives both the same powers of enforcement, arrest and detention (and ticketing). There have been court challenges to limit the areas of authority for different peace officers but the underlying theme of protecting public safety seems to preserve that authority (at least in the handful of cases I've read). The RCMP office is sworn federally and has jurisdiction across the country. The CO is likely sworn provincially. I used to work for Parks Canada and our wardens were sworn federally.
That's the code end of it but in practice each organization will have their own policies when it comes to law enforcement. They focus their resources where their mandate guides them and where they are perceived to be most effective. I bet there are many RCMP officers who would love to spend a couple days a week buzzing around in the bush on a quad (with insurance and a helmet) but that level of enforcement in a remote area might be difficult to justify to their superiors.

SPEYMAN
10-16-2014, 07:42 PM
For motorcycle liability contact Oasis Insurance, their information can be found on Google or you can check the ATV/BC Quad Riders Association site.

At this time there is no law requiring a helmet to be worn when operating an atv on a FSR.

Most insurance companies advise your insurance is void if you don't wear a helmet.

There is registration and licensing of an atv to be started in November. There will be a period of grace until it becomes mandatory.

When that time has elapsed the operational rules will be instigated. Helmets,muffler decibles, highway crossings etc.

RB2
10-16-2014, 11:40 PM
That is why I went to Oasis. No helmet and I can double my kid. Always read the fine print.

SPEYMAN
10-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Oasis requires a helmet, or insurance not valid. Read the fine print.

Sofa King
10-17-2014, 10:41 AM
sofaking full of ..it

do you see rcmp patrolling the fsrs?
you are full of shit if you say yes.
I don't know, maybe they do down south where there's tons of them, including city cops, and they have that much more to do.
and, because there's a larger population on those backroads for it to be worth their while.
but I have never seen the cops up fsrs in 25 years in the whole Thompson/Nicola/Okanagan region.
what I have seen, is on the occasion that they are present, such as accompanying the co's, they have every time been set up at the bottom where the fsr meets the pavement.
so, maybe they do indeed technically have jurisdiction up there, but I have yet to actually see one.

and the whole jurisdiction thing isn't totally accurate.
there's highway cops who refuse to even do anything but.
they've said, when asked about enforcing in town, that that isn't their jurisdiction, that they are highway police.

RB2
10-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Oasis requires a helmet, or insurance not valid. Read the fine print.

Hmmm. And where in the fine print did you read anything about a helmet. Helmet required for accident benefits, but not liability insurance.

RB2
10-17-2014, 10:49 PM
ATVBC policy requires helmet, but can't find anywhere on the GOT TOYS policy about a helmet. This is why I have the GOT TOYS policy when I am not under the BCWF policy.

SPEYMAN
10-17-2014, 11:50 PM
"do not see it as social engineering. It is a mandatory condition of the underwriters and as the operator could be held liable for injuries to a passenger if wearing a helmet could/would have prevented the accident. If you are not prepared to wear a helmet regardless of current lack of law ( in B C only)on this matter, then please insure elsewhere as Open Skies is not the insurance policy for you. Our policy is national in scope and other provinces require wearing a helment. Also consider if you ride outside of B C, you may be violating local law by not wearing one. I believe if you check with other insurers, you may find the same clause but you would have to check. With respect to denying a claim, it is upfront on our policy and if you chose to ignore it, so be it".

I deal with Oasis as the insurance committee chairperson for the Quad Riders Association of B.C. (ATV/BC). This quote is from the Quads.ca forum and was written by Ken Anderson who is the agent for Oasis. He and I have had a number of discussions about this matter. If you have any questions about this issue, contact your agent and ask a specific question.

One Shot
10-18-2014, 12:41 AM
do you see rcmp patrolling the fsrs?
you are full of shit if you say yes.

YUP! Twice this past weekend including COs on the Chipmunk Bench FSR and a RCMP road block Sat on the Chilliwack Valley Rd just east of the Chipmunk turn off. Not sure why as to the road block.

Sh!ts now in your court.......

Sofa King
10-18-2014, 01:00 AM
YUP! Twice this past weekend including COs on the Chipmunk Bench FSR and a RCMP road block Sat on the Chilliwack Valley Rd just east of the Chipmunk turn off. Not sure why as to the road block.

Sh!ts now in your court.......

clearly you didn't read my whole post.
way to censor it to suit you.
the person I was responding to was from Vernon, and I said that personally, in 25 years up in our area, I've never seen rcmp patrolling fsrs.
I even went on to say that that may be different in other areas, and that they may indeed in the lower mainland.
"shits in my court"? more like you shit the bed on that attempt.

it's gotten hard to even find a cop patrolling the coq these days.
if they aren't even patrolling our highways, how can they have time to patrol the fsrs?

goatdancer
10-18-2014, 10:01 AM
clearly you didn't read my whole post.
way to censor it to suit you.
the person I was responding to was from Vernon, and I said that personally, in 25 years up in our area, I've never seen rcmp patrolling fsrs.
I even went on to say that that may be different in other areas, and that they may indeed in the lower mainland.
"shits in my court"? more like you shit the bed on that attempt.

it's gotten hard to even find a cop patrolling the coq these days.
if they aren't even patrolling our highways, how can they have time to patrol the fsrs?

Just because you've never seen them doesn't mean thy're not around.

squeeze
11-04-2014, 08:10 PM
I've perused this thread but was unable to figure why exactly these new laws and regulations are being imposed.

Can someone enlighten me? Has the province been getting hosed on strict liability for accidents on the fsr's??

j270wsm
11-04-2014, 09:15 PM
I've perused this thread but was unable to figure why exactly these new laws and regulations are being imposed.

Can someone enlighten me? Has the province been getting hosed on strict liability for accidents on the fsr's??

There being implemented because of all the a** holes that like to ride where their not allowed and don't follow current laws/regulations. And no it's not just albertans breaking regulations/laws.