PDA

View Full Version : Winch ideas?

jamfarm
08-19-2014, 05:46 PM
I've been considering getting a gas capstan winch for our upcoming moose hunt but I'm having a tough time justifying spending $1800 on something that I might not even need or use.

So I've thought of a couple ideas for pulling a moose out of a 4' deep swamp or thick bush:

1) Buy a 2 speed 2500lb boat trailer winch and rig it up on a metal plate so it can be hooked around a tree and crank something in.
Pros: Cheap
Cons: Will it even pull a moose?
Once the wire fills up on the drum, you'd have to untie & retie your ropes back up.

2) Buy a old sailboat winch and rig it up similarly on a metal plate that can strap around a tree.
Pros: Like a capstan winch the rope will run through without having to untie & retie
Depending on the size of winch, probably more powerful & durable than a trailer winch
Cons: These things are bloody expensive, even used ones.

Your thoughts on my crazy idea?

longstonec
08-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Anchor winch is not that fast. And I dont think they have a very large weight capacity. Pulling 450 feet of anchor line used to take me a 10+ minutes

nano
08-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Tirfor jack or a come-a-long might be another option. I know they have helped me out a few times.

Sofa King
08-19-2014, 06:31 PM
chop that sumbitch up and pack him out, or, don't squeeze the trigger in 4' marsh.
I know I've passed on some animals because of where they were.
fire some zingers by his ears til he moves to better ground, then drop him.

I'd go for the less expensive option.
especially as how you might never even use it.
it's really not that big a deal to re-tie it up.

howa1500
08-19-2014, 06:37 PM
In my opinion you'll only shoot a moose in the swamp once... Until you realize it is the biggest pain in the are EVER!

Old winch is pretty good though, has lots of uses

Big Lew
08-19-2014, 06:50 PM
When you consider that you're only likely use for, as you stated, pulling game out of march, why not buy a heavy duty cable come-a-long? Even though I have a 12000 lb electric winch, because of it's weight and bulk, I normally leave it at home in favour of my heavy duty come-a-long which I've added another pulley to thereby giving it 4 times it's single cable pull. The way I have it set up I can easily pull single, double, or 4 times pull depending on the circumstances. Even though I have to re-set frequently, (I use a chain with a grablink hook) it'll pull my Nissan truck out of really bad situations.

jamfarm
08-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think i'll go the boat winch route. Looks like you can get some good sized 2 speed winches. I also have a come along but it only has 4' of pull whereas it looks like the larger boat winches can hold 50' of cable. I also have the small zodiac and waders so bring on the swamps!

landphil
08-19-2014, 08:03 PM
I was toying with the idea of building a capstan winch attachment for my chainsaw using an old bar and chain both shortened and modified, a worm gear box, and a home made (on lathe) aluminum capstan drum all on a plate that could be anchored to a tree but have not had the spare time to even start, nor am I likely to in the foreseeable future. I figured I could MacGyver something together for a couple hundred bucks, and if I used the chainsaw powerhead, I wouldn't be adding a rarely used engine to the mix, and not packing a second engine, fuel... and the bar/chain could be removed and the winch assembly be attached to the powerhead in a few minutes. If you're the handy type with some fabricating skills, it could be looked into.

Or, debone that swamp donkey and pack it out.

Brno22F
08-20-2014, 12:25 AM
go on google and check out a Simpson winch. They mount to your chainsaw and they are around $800 I think.
Another option is the Lewis Winch. Made in New Westminster and about $1000. Not a capstan winch but the lewis also mounts to a chainsaw and has 4000 pounds pulling capability.
You could search this forum as well as open chat for discussions on the pros and cons.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?102149-blocks-winches-and-hoists

BiG Boar
08-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Plan C. Wait until moose steps out of said swamp. Spine him.

bcsteve
08-20-2014, 09:54 AM
I bought a Lewis last year but didn't get to use it in the field yet. There's been a few occasions in the past where it would have been handy. I like that it's portable, 150' of wire on the spool and 4000lbs single line/8000lbs double line pull. It will easily pull you your moose out of anywhere and powerful enough to get your truck out of trouble.

Lionhill
08-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Used Tirfor winch http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/tls/4621866737.html

$500

(not mine)

rcar
08-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Hey Jam

I had the same idea with the 2 speed boat hand winch. The damn things moves my 6000lb boat just fine so I got to thinking....My only thought is how to secure the winch so that you can get enough leverage on the handle to turn it. My thought was to mount it to a 2x6 and then secure it to a large enough tree....still thinking about it as I have the 2 speed winch already. I think I am just going to wing it and cut it up where it lies....and hope for the best.....and hope the Gf is in a good mood to help sherpa.

jamfarm
08-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Rcar, I was thinking if I went with the 2 speed boat winch I would mount in on a metal grounding plate, you can get them in the electrical section at Rona or Home depot. Drill a couple of holes through the end of it and attach shackles to it. In the field attach a 4-6' tow strap to the shackles and around a tree and I think that would work.

HuntingAndBoating
08-28-2014, 09:04 AM
I use the Portable Winch. Really recommend it, it can haul a moose through anything. It's pretty fast too, uses capstan, etc. average priced, around $1000 or so. I use it all the time so it is well worth it. in BC i bought it from West Coast Winch (http://shop.westcoastwinch.com/gas-powered-winch-PCW3000.htm)