PDA

View Full Version : Jaffary Elk

nelsonob1
08-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Anyone heading to Jaffary for archery elk season?

sparky300winmag
08-18-2014, 06:35 PM
I saw a beauty 5 pt about a month ago right on the hwy just up from the mill

nelsonob1
08-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Always nice to hear some positive feedback. I'm excited to take my two kids aged 12 and 10. We have been chasing the same bull for a couple of seasons. Maybe this is the year.

toad
08-18-2014, 08:32 PM
last time I drove thru jaffary didn't see no elk...lol....pretty sure theres none around....good luck dude, awesome to hear yer teaching the young ones...its right around the corner

Striksfromabove
08-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Spent a week last year hunting elk there and was quite disappointed. Covered a 75 km sq. area west of Jaffrey and covered it all swamps to alpine , found 1 cow close to main Highway and only one area with reasonable sign. My opinion is it's skinny for elk unless you know someone that has a honey hole somewhere. There was a low elevation liberal bull seson that closed just before we got there but it was private lands only anyway.

If your kids are up for whitetails they have some fun though! They're like rats there, literally behind every tree, we saw up to 40 per day , I can't imagine what it's like during the rut!

Liveforthehunt
08-25-2014, 09:40 PM
There are a few elk around to say the least just have to know where to look :) my friends are successful every year out that way so there must be a few around. The hunting pressure turns me off so I head way up north every year to get away from that. I'm sure all you koot hunters are happy to hear that lol ;)

Darksith
08-25-2014, 09:45 PM
I go to Jaffery every once in a while, usually see a decent amount of elk, but they are skiddish and I have yet to count 6...fair amount of 5's though.

j270wsm
08-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Up until they had the GOS for cow elk they were everywhere. There's still a decent amount of elk around jaffery but you have to know where to go.

Trapper
08-26-2014, 05:43 AM
I live in Jaffray and at times theres a few elk around. then hunting season starts and they disappear, gets lots of pressure. good luck

Mikey Rafiki
08-26-2014, 05:59 AM
I would be looking to hit higher ground for archery. There has been some wolf activity down lower in the area that has pushed them around a bunch, plus the pressure from easy access.