PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight (Cool) Pant Recommendation

Murder
08-17-2014, 02:06 PM
I am interested in some pants for mountain hunting on Vancouver Island. I am a super hot blooded guy and my insulated pants are too warm for any amount of hiking and I am getting tired of wearing Carhartts in the early season as they soak up water and are too heavy. I am after a waterproof/resistant pair of pants that I can layer underneath for warmth if needed but can also wear them only if I am warm in September. So many options now a days that my head spins a bit. I am the type of guy that likes to buy good, so I have been looking at Sitka as well as Kuiu but would like honest HBC feedback on what works well for you in this climate

Thanks

Mike

DGuest
08-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Kuiu attack pants!!

RoscoeP
08-17-2014, 03:09 PM
You could also buy some combat pants at the surplus store in Black Creek. I got a pair of the American military ones and they are pretty nice, I wear polypro long johns if it is cold, and they dry fast if they get wet.

Rhyno
08-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Kuiu attack pants!!

X2

I love mine, just put them a hard goat scouting trip and was impressed with their comfort and durability.

khoffnbud
08-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Northface paramount 2

swampthing
08-17-2014, 06:14 PM
I run the Sitka ascent and they are pretty cool and you can find them everywhere. Kuiui would be good too but you have to order them.

Darksith
08-17-2014, 07:19 PM
I know one guy that swears in scrubs...they are light weight, they breath, and if they get wet, they dry out really quickly...that being said he isn't hunting the coast, but he does several mountain trips a year in aug/sept wearing them.

Ovis17
08-17-2014, 07:33 PM
The Sitka Ascents are nice and light. Although I did tear the ass out of mine while crawling around in the rocks on a recent sheep hunt.

Murder
08-17-2014, 09:29 PM
With the Sitka Ascents or Kuiu Attack pants, how do they hold up to wet brush and rain?

hunter1993ap
08-17-2014, 10:09 PM
With the Sitka Ascents or Kuiu Attack pants, how do they hold up to wet brush and rain?

probably not well, I have the 90% pant which I believe is similar to the ascent but a little heavier. cant stay dry to save my life, little morning dew in wet berry bushes and I'm soaked. they dry well and work good when things are dry but don't work well when theres minimal moisture. cant speak for kuiu.

boxhitch
08-18-2014, 07:37 AM
Focus on 'warm when wet' , then you have lots of options for breathable quiet
Lots of soft shell products out there , most are black but others are available.

Squire
08-18-2014, 09:21 AM
If you have a pair of lightweight and somewhat moisture-resistant, quick-drying pants you can custom upgrade them by applying one of the wash-in waterproofing solutions on the market. I have had some success with Nickwax products in the past. I am like the OP in that I heat up real fast and try to go as light as possible, especially during a major ascent. I have stood on a ridgetop at 7,000 ft with the wind plastering my thin pants to my legs and realized they were completely stopping the cold from getting through. When I "waterproof" a pair of low-tech pants in this fashion they will last for a couple of days of light rain, dew-filled grass etc... before they start to soak through. I know that these products are designed to maintain/restore the waterproofing capabilities of Goretex and the like but you would be surprised how well they work on some regular fabric blends as well.

When my son was young and growing out of his clothes every other day I didn't buy him expensive rain gear. When he was about ten I washed a hand-me-down nylon jacket with a hood and lining in Nickwax so he had something to wear hunting with me. We got hit hard with wet snow turning to rain and it beaded off that jacket for two full days and kept him completely dry.

warnniklz
08-18-2014, 10:00 AM
I liked my ascent pants, except there's only so many sticks and devil's club you cant walk through until you get wet. Also ripped the ass out of mine when I went for an impromptu parkour session on the mountains.

Going to give the mountain pant a go thus year.

Ron.C
08-18-2014, 01:21 PM
hit up an of the stores that supply hiking gear. Lots of great options for lightweight breathable, fast drying hiking pants. And quite often for a very good price. You won't find camo, but any of the earthy tones will do fine.

The Hermit
08-18-2014, 01:41 PM
The KUIU pants are super comfortable cut pill up and catch on every little burr out there. I wear First Lite Knabs and think they are far superior. Yes I sell them so account for the bias but also my honest opinion... ask around about First Lite as lots of guys on here have bought them and love em.

hunter1993ap
08-18-2014, 01:56 PM
pm sent hermit.

Peter Pepper
08-18-2014, 08:31 PM
My under-amour pants work well on the island

todbartell
08-18-2014, 09:05 PM
I wear my Sitka Ascents for most of September, waterproof they are not! But I've never worn a more comfortable pant

Mountain Hunter
08-18-2014, 10:12 PM
hit up an of the stores that supply hiking gear. Lots of great options for lightweight breathable, fast drying hiking pants. And quite often for a very good price. You won't find camo, but any of the earthy tones will do fine.

Ya, what he said!

You can buy lightweight versions or tough as nail versions for everyday hiking/hunting, then throw on a rainpant/gore tex pant when things get wet.

Marmot, Arctery'x, North Face, Mountain Hardware.

I have a pair of Mountain Hardware and Marmot pants that I have had for years that are tougher and stronger than any cotton Carhartt or similar brand and they dry quickly when wet. For lighter weight versions try Arcteryx and North Face for use in the mountains in hot weather and still fairly tough.

You could also go with a Mammut, North Face, Arcteryx, and Patagonia for Schoeller-type fabrics for cold wet weather (used for skiing and mountaineering). Just get the earth tones as mentioned by Ron C.

You can usually find any and all of these brands on sale at any time of year, up to 50% off when you look for it!

swampthing
08-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Like squire, I wash my pants in niwax goretex detergent and then apply niwax waterproof spray to them. This helps for awhile. Makes light pants a little tougher, no matter who makes them.

Murder
08-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Settled on First Lite, picked up Allegheny's, LLiano QZ, Kanabs, and Red Desert Boxers. Ill add a set of Gaiters and some waterproof pants I should be good to go. Fingers crossed! I'll report back once I have thoroughly tested

Some great info in this thread. Thanks to all who took the time to chime in.

Frosty
08-19-2014, 10:08 PM
First Lite Kanab are great early season. The part I like like is that they are very quiet and dry so fast. And later season like you mentioned you can just add a layer underneath. One thing I have found on the coast is that it's hard to stay dry, it kind of comes down to managing the wet, the best. They do tend to rip if they get caught on something, but duct tape inside and out works well if stitching won't.

Murder
08-19-2014, 10:24 PM
First Lite Kanab are great early season. The part I like like is that they are very quiet and dry so fast. And later season like you mentioned you can just add a layer underneath. One thing I have found on the coast is that it's hard to stay dry, it kind of comes down to managing the wet, the best. They do tend to rip if they get caught on something, but duct tape inside and out works well if stitching won't.

My wife can sew up anything! I hear First Lite will warranty them no questions asked as well

Mike

Whonnock Boy
08-19-2014, 10:25 PM
The KUIU pants are super comfortable cut pill up and catch on every little burr out there. I wear First Lite Knabs and think they are far superior. Yes I sell them so account for the bias but also my honest opinion... ask around about First Lite as lots of guys on here have bought them and love em.

What's up with their north branch soft shell pant? Half a bib? I would kill for a set of bibs that is not insulated, and just a shell. Even those might not be too bad with the fleece liner if they were a complete bib. AAAARRRGGHHH!!!

fun2ride0
10-09-2014, 09:30 PM
KUIU Attack Pants....I have two pairs and I swear by them. Well designed, super comfortable and mine were made in Vancouver. They are lightweight, breathable but repell light water/rain and stop the wind. The non camo ones are nice enough to wear to work. Well worth the money as far as I'm concerned...they go on sale on the KUIU website in the Outlet section. I got my last pair for $99.

Ruger.270
10-12-2014, 10:19 AM
agreed on the attack pants. awesome piece of gear.