PDA

View Full Version : crazy idea

Dale
03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
ok heres the deal. I hunt an area that has a small shallow creek running through it. the creek pretty much ends up back at my vehicle. I usually stay within 5km of my vehicle when hunting as not to make the pack out to difficult. now here is what i was thining of doing. I was thinking of getting one of those cheap inflatable dingys, something that is light so i can pack it in. then i was going to figure out some sort of tough material (lightweight, flexible plastic) that i could secure to the bottom so the dingy doesn't rip on the rocks. any suggestions on the type of material i could use? this way i can go further into the area and then just float my kill down the creek to my vehicle. what do ya think, crazy or genius?

bigwhiteys
03-07-2007, 10:38 AM
lol... Sounds like it's going to be a frustrating trip.

I always thought we could just have a helium canister in our pack that would blow up a big ass balloon to float the critter along or at least assist in the movement.

Crazy or Genius?

Carl

270WIN
03-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Dale what are you hunting along this creek i see you live on the island so i thinking deer may be bear well if it just deer my 2 cents would get a nice pack and debone the deer out and pack him out proble be less problems that way

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Dale, cabin fever is setting in ,turn your computer off and go for a nice long walk with your wife.:lol:

4pointhunter
03-07-2007, 12:31 PM
whats the area like steep hills, open bush? if its not too bad make a backpack out of the deer and throw it over your back.

break the deers front knees but leave the tendon and skin the tendon back a bit to make it more flexable, cut the back legs like you would to hang it( leave the leg intact) and slip the front legs through the back, and your done the hind legs will also work as a gun rack for the hike.

Soup
03-07-2007, 12:43 PM
break the deers front knees but leave the tendon and skin the tendon back a bit to make it more flexable, cut the back legs like you would to hang it( leave the leg intact) and slip the front legs through the back, and your done the hind legs will also work as a gun rack for the hike.

This works well, but remember to tie a bunch of flagging tape around the antlers...also watch for tics.

threedhunter
03-07-2007, 01:36 PM
how about crazy carpets , they make larger ones , just roughen up the top surface and glue on to your inflateable with weatherstrip glue{waterproof} and slip slide away. threedhunter

4pointhunter
03-07-2007, 02:39 PM
This works well, but remember to tie a bunch of flagging tape around the antlers...also watch for tics.

yeah i agree, also be sure to clean the blood out as best you can

Jager
03-07-2007, 02:47 PM
forget the cheap dinghy and get an inner tube instead w/a bicycle pump. Innertubes are pretty tough.

Or...pack it out.

Dale
03-07-2007, 04:50 PM
its not for any island hunting, its for caribou and sheep up north, and maybe i will go with the wife for a walk, i am starting to get a little squirrley!! crazy carpets eh? well that just might work.

03-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Without knowing what the "creek" your referring to is like, unless its a fairly slow moving piece of water, l would think you could spend a lot more effort trying to float it out then deboning and packing . I assume its down hill to the truck, and packing even fairly serious wt down hill 5 km wouldn't be to rough. Of course this is free advice by someone who hasn't seen the country you hunt in:biggrin:

BANG!
03-07-2007, 05:35 PM
one of the challenges would be that water always finds the fastest way downhill - so if you follow a creek, your are absolutely certain to find the steepest path. Add to that the fact that the ground around creeks is usually moist - so that's where the plants/trees/shrubs will likely be thickest.

Often just walking ten meters off to the side of a creek makes the descent so much cleaner.

Again - appologies in advance for offering advice when I've never seen your hunting area. If the land is open and the banks of the stream clean and smooth, you could be onto a winner. Post pictures!

hunter1947
03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Why don't you just use a small aluminum boat to go down the river ????. hunter 1947.

trapperdan2061
03-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Here is what I have been using here in Ontario and will be bringing to BC,
a kids ABS tobagon it's 5' long I bolted 6" ABS pipe capped at the ends on each side it draggs on anything and floats in shallow creeks.
Great for trapping and deer hauling and weighs nothing.
Dan

Caveman
03-07-2007, 05:58 PM
crazy idea

YEP, I AGREE!

jack.daniels.
03-07-2007, 06:31 PM
I've done it with the tube. If the creek is shallow enough to walk through with wadders it would be fine...I found it to be quite easy. Just strap a board or a toat to the tube and load it up. Slower moving water is good too. Dont know how it would be with a little white water

Islandeer
03-07-2007, 06:46 PM
pack it,water always is wet.)

ianwuzhere
03-07-2007, 07:02 PM
i dunno how small the creek is but how about a very small tube and a chunk of rope or straps. gut the animal and put the float in its belly cavity-blow it up in there and tie it firmly. it will be light/easy to pack, protected and id think if its not a huge animal that it would work if pulled with piece of rope. otherwise i think your lookin at a much larger piece of equip.

hope ya try it out one day...
cheers
~ianwuzhere~

BCLongshot
03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
OK I would turn the comput off too.

Maybe call on the 2-way for the helicopter you own...They can repel down and lift it out 4 you and dress it that way you won't even get dirty.

pmj
03-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Give us the coordinates:smile: . I am sure some of us can make it up there to give you a hand to carry out your game:lol: :lol: . or go for that walk that others have recomended.

Alpine85
03-07-2007, 10:06 PM
How about filling the body cavity with expanding mono foam!!! :lol:

frenchbar
03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Crazy idea.bone it and pack it out,if its just a deer its only roughly 85 pds of meat ,grunt of a haul ,the creek idea sounds like it could be more trouble than its worth .

SUAFOYT
03-08-2007, 06:28 PM
ok heres the deal. I hunt an area that has a small shallow creek running through it. the creek pretty much ends up back at my vehicle. I usually stay within 5km of my vehicle when hunting as not to make the pack out to difficult. now here is what i was thining of doing. I was thinking of getting one of those cheap inflatable dingys, something that is light so i can pack it in. then i was going to figure out some sort of tough material (lightweight, flexible plastic) that i could secure to the bottom so the dingy doesn't rip on the rocks. any suggestions on the type of material i could use? this way i can go further into the area and then just float my kill down the creek to my vehicle. what do ya think, crazy or genius?

Check out the old thread called what's your best getting it out story. My picture in the post shows how it can be done. River was very low, but managed it just fine.