PDA

View Full Version : Garbage at range

justachip
08-17-2014, 10:52 AM
I know this one has been beat to death but holey crap ,Why do people have to haul garbage into the bush shoot a bunch of holes in it and leave it behind.It seems like an epidemic shot up TVs Fridges fire extinguishers etc and a bunch of sks brass and shotgun hulls.We have a small shooting area we use for tuning up the rifles and letting the kids practice. For the most part eveyone has kept it clean but when we arrived yesterday it looks like a dump.It seems to me whenever the garbage is there the sks brass is close by. Now that being said I am not painting all the assalt rifle people with the same brush but a few of you are making the rest look like pigs clean up your crap or better yet dont haul it to the bush in the first place.
Sorry for the Rant but Im tired of picking up other peoples garbage.

Wentrot
08-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Sks is now an assault rifle?

Sofa King
08-17-2014, 10:57 AM
this is a problem in many areas and with all types of guns.
and yes, it is quite often hunters that are doing it.
sad to see, but there's bad ones in everything.

john.b
08-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Yes, assault rifle is a bad term and one that gun owners should not perpetuate

EDIT....
sks is not the only firearm to shoot 7.62 x 39

Mulehahn
08-17-2014, 11:11 AM
These messes are disgusting, and improvised ranges are usually the worst, but are not the only places. I cannot recall how many times I have been waterfowl hunting and came across piles of hulls. Seen camps that I know were hunters left destroyed with broken glass, boxes and and other crap. Things are getting worse and I don't understand why.

As for the assault rifle comment, no the SKS isn't, but the term itself is not a bad term. It applies to a very specific type of combat arm and when used the term is used properly it is helpful. It should not be avoided, people need to be educated.

Grousedaddy
08-17-2014, 12:13 PM
The sks is a military rifle designed for combat.... Battle rifle / assault rifle whatever you want to call it , it was designed to fight in a war not to hunt deer ( though like ANY firearm would work). As for the garbage people are lazy slobs it will never end makes me sick rapp

Wentrot
08-17-2014, 12:19 PM
as·sault ri·fle

noun

noun:*assault rifle; plural noun:*assault rifles

a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use.

Darksith
08-17-2014, 12:36 PM
personally I think there should be a video camera at the top of batch and the railway crossing going towards red lake that snaps pictures of vehicles passing. When you see a truck go up with a fridge and nothing when they return...busted. I am always hopeful that I will catch someone dragging a fridge out of the back of their truck one day. I long for that confrontation!

Jagermeister
08-17-2014, 03:05 PM
personally I think there should be a video camera at the top of batch and the railway crossing going towards red lake that snaps pictures of vehicles passing. When you see a truck go up with a fridge and nothing when they return...busted. I am always hopeful that I will catch someone dragging a fridge out of the back of their truck one day. I long for that confrontation!
That's a good idea. Someone could start with a trail cam.

Kami
08-17-2014, 03:38 PM
It is a problem and really pisses me off. I am even upset by the slobs that use Logan lake range. Can't pick up after themselves. In reality it's not bad compared to what I have seen in the bush. Drives me nuts. How hard is it to collect your targets and spent brass when you are done? The crap in the bush is pathetic. I too would love to catch the moron in the act. Sadly pathetic. The human race at some of its worst.

Papa Sasquatch
08-17-2014, 04:15 PM
If you all join me in taking away two garbage bags per visit to any forest/ wildlife event. In many cases, I fill em up within 30 minutes and then I am ready to enjoy my wilderness adventure (in most cases). It really is that simple. It don't matter what disrespecting slob left it behind, Its who cares enough to pick it up.
Sooner or later the bad folks will get caught and might get covered in honey while set free butt naked and bare foot in the middle of nowhere! Nah! Although it would be morally right. Unfortunately That would probably be illegal!

Darksith
08-17-2014, 04:40 PM
That's a good idea. Someone could start with a trail cam.

it wouldn't take much to put a pole up and a camera powered by solar that would take pictures and then upload them to a data base. I would even volunteer to go through the pictures. Would be a pleasure.

Steve W
08-17-2014, 06:40 PM
it wouldn't take much to put a pole up and a camera powered by solar that would take pictures and then upload them to a data base. I would even volunteer to go through the pictures. Would be a pleasure.

How long do you think it will last? Remember the slobs with guns? Check out most of the signs in the area around any urban area, most have a few holes in them.

Experience taught me that a digital video camera is way more effective than a still camera. On several occasion around Kamloops cameras were set up at know dump sites. It is really difficult to position a camera and get the face of the drive and or a compete license plate. ICBC prioritizes searches for partial license plates and dumping is a long ways down their list. Success was best when a video could be looked at frame by frame. A remote trigger that sets it off before the vehicle arrives in frame is key as well. Cameras these days are the size of a Tooney or smaller. Have one pointed each way to get them coming and going and you'll be getting somewhere.

It'a doable for sure, just takes some ingenuity an a few hundred bucks.

Darksith
08-17-2014, 07:14 PM
well if you put the camera right at the top of batch just past the last intersection...I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to shoot right there, way too many houses and people...who cares about the driver, get the plate and the driver will point you in the right direction if it wasn't him. Video is fine, either way wouldn't be that expensive. Hell, I would donate buck truck time and do the work myself for nothing...who knows a club or group that would be willing to purchase the equipment?

Steve W
08-18-2014, 12:33 PM
well if you put the camera right at the top of batch just past the last intersection...I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to shoot right there, way too many houses and people...who cares about the driver, get the plate and the driver will point you in the right direction if it wasn't him. Video is fine, either way wouldn't be that expensive. Hell, I would donate buck truck time and do the work myself for nothing...who knows a club or group that would be willing to purchase the equipment?

Give it a try and see what you get. I had cameras on O'Conner, Jamison, Campbell Creek and Scuido Lake and some areas over by Merritt over about a five year period. Was able to get a few images that were usable for laying charges. Surprising number of factors come into play that bugger you up.

Jelvis
08-18-2014, 03:04 PM
If your not an official for any of the governments you could get in an uncomfortable situation putting hidden cameras up to observe people.
Especially close to Kamloops where people go to park in the dark etc. lol.
Might want to think of that.
-- If you got caught doing that up 4k on Lac Du Bois and your just a regular person you could get in deep doo doo. I'd think hard on that one.
Jel ( Don't be knockin ) if the car is a rockin Hahaha

Steve W
08-18-2014, 06:44 PM

Give it a try and see what you get. I had cameras on O'Conner, Jamison, Campbell Creek and Scuido Lake and some areas over by Merritt over about a five year period. Was able to get a few images that were usable for laying charges. Surprising number of factors come into play that bugger you up.

Junorr500
08-18-2014, 07:17 PM
The RAPP line is our best friend if we can catch someone in the act.

But we could start a thread to report

A: where there is some garbage that has been left so those of us so inclined can clean it up.
B: who we see leaving garbage with as much detail as possible. Licence plate numbers makes and models of vehicles etc.

I know the chances of catching some one in the act are slim but the more people we can get on board with it the better.

We can improve the reputation of ethical hunters and shame the ones leaving the crap at the same time. Many figure out a way to get some good publicity at the same time.

Papa Sasquatch
08-19-2014, 07:28 AM
If you will all recall last grad season there were a series of reporting on the news of parties who got mad enough to fill up bags and hauled them away. It is my hope that These parties were more then an event and more like life altering. Always take home a couple a bags and fill em with plastic feeling awesome and it is a good exercise too.

howa1500
08-19-2014, 10:46 AM
I awlays end up packing out a couple garbage bags worth of crap at the few bush ranges I use.. and have come accross quite a few loads of free brass for reloading. However I will admit, coming accross a range with a shot up fridge, freeze, car, and tv, and putting a few rounds into them myself...

Papa Sasquatch
08-20-2014, 06:50 AM
I awlays end up packing out a couple garbage bags worth of crap at the few bush ranges I use.. and have come accross quite a few loads of free brass for reloading. However I will admit, coming accross a range with a shot up fridge, freeze, car, and tv, and putting a few rounds into them myself...

I really don't see what else you could have done! It is a frustrsting situation and not to mention the likely possibility of leaking toxic fluids into wilderness soil and water.