PDA

View Full Version : Stone sheep hunt in the spatsizi

604redneck
08-16-2014, 02:47 PM
I wasn't going to do a write up here about this. My mind was changed by someone I would like to think I can call a new friend.

First things first no animals were harvested and the pics will be posted once I get my lap top back.

This whole adventure started back at the end of last hunting season. A person I had met through guiding had mentioned sheep hunting and I was all in. Even never hunting sheep I felt that I would do fine seeing as I have guided and been on many sucessful goat hunts.

So leh comes out and both of us draw a sheep, then it's time for the fall draw and my partner draws the goat and I draw a caribou! We start our trip to the spatsizi on august 8th, we made it just past Smithers where we stopped for a 3 hour nap before continuing. First light we are off again and getting more excited with every kilometer travelled.

Just before ore reaching our destination we decide to stop and do some glassing. Within 2 minutes I spot a goat and we decide to go for a walk to try to reach it. At this point many crucial mistakes that I know never to make are made. The first mistake comes out of excitement and we don't fill our water bottles. The next comes a little later and becomes a game changer.

After 3+ hours of devils club and alders we break into the sub alpine very dehydrated. I made a decision at this point that we needed water before continuing on this ascent. A few minutes later I actually called it and said we are going down. This is where the next crucial mistake was made.

While walking down we heard what we later found to be a creek. We got closer to the creek not being able to see the ground through the alders and devils club. I took one last step and immediately dropped to the ground reaching for anything to grab. After stopping myself and my partner being beside me he knew that we wouldn't be able to go up and decided to slide down a near vertical wall to the creek 10+ ft below. Perfect he's ok! My turn, now I'm not sure what went wrong on my slide but I ended up twisting my body and breaking both hiking poles. Upon further inspection I realized I had a few minor cuts and my knee and back were slightly sore. We were able to find our way down the rest of the way safely.

The next day we flew into the lake to chase sheep. So we head out after we land and set up camp. We took empty packs with some snacks and optics. Early into the walk we spotted a goat so we started to get closer to it to get a better idea of size and sex. We got up to a creek cross in approximately 1kilometer from the goat where I decided the goat should live until the end of the hunt. Back to the lake we go to have dinner and get some rest.

As the evening progressed I spotted 5 ewes and lambs on a distant mountain. Thinking that's it for the night i start packing it in for the night when my partner says I got 3 rams in view. We watched them for awhile and made a plan for the next morning.

Sun up the next morning it's breakfast and then a long hike to the sheep hill. Within 15 minutes of this hike I knew something was wrong. My lower back on the side I jarred on the fall a few days earlier was in more pain then I have ever been in. I was able to fight thru the pain and take my pack off every 30 minutes or so. Well we made it to the alpine in about 5 hours.

After scouring the hills with binoculars and spotting scopes for hours we saw 10 lambs and ewes, no rams. After a nights sleep I woke up and knew it was over. We were within an hour of where we had spotted 2 potentially legal rams and I couldn't walk. The walk back to the lake was agonizing but was dwarfed by the disappointment of what had happened.

Pics to follow at some point
I would like to personally thank srupp for his tremendous help and knowledge! I would also like to thank digger dogger who let me pick his brain.

HarryToolips
08-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Look forward to the pics, too bad about your back, at least your taking the positives from the experience..it's amazing how fast when climbin a mountain in any kind of heat how quickly the moisture leaves your body...how long of a drive to that region from K town??

Apolonius
08-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Dont blame yourself.Things happen and you are lucky to get out.Even a sort sheep hunting trip is worth for the memories.I do hope you are ok.Maybe one day i will post my recent trip.

604redneck
08-16-2014, 05:17 PM
I am fine I'm gonna get my back looked at Monday and see what steps I need to take as I have never had a back injury. It's about 19 hours from here to tatogga

srupp
08-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Hmmmm your more than welcome..lol Im sure that goat has been there on the same ledge for at least 4 years...some tremendous billies in there...as for the sheep there is a reaspn that rams end up there..
Bittersweet moment..rams and billies...and knowing the correct decision is to take care of your partener and your self.....brilliant decision...one that takes courage...there will be another day..
Be well..
Cheers
Srupp

DBradner
08-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Glad to hear you made it out safely. Really good advice in your post. I look forward to the photos and to future photos of your next stone sheep hunt. Thanks for posting!

Sitkaspruce
08-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Look after your back!!! Listen to the back cracker and doctor.

I hurt my back playing hockey, didn't listen to the doc's as I knew it all and now I have three vertabrate fused together. No more hockey, softball, back pack hunting in the mountains etc.

Too bad about the injury, but you got out hunting. Looking forward to the picts. Thanks for posting!!!

You guiding this year??

Cheers

SS

Sofa King
08-16-2014, 09:54 PM
hope it's nothing too serious with your back.
even though you made a couple mistakes, you made smart decisions to abort, etc.
health is more important than anything.
you'll get your day.

604redneck
08-16-2014, 10:57 PM
I believe I am gonna guide a father son combo of bow hunters for moose this year because they are repeat clients and will only come if I'm guiding. We got along well last year but it was a tough situation last year wit a lot of wolves around, led to very nervous and quiet moose. No goat this year and it may be my last season guiding as I have to many personal hunts I want to do such as my own goat and moose. Always the bridesmaid never the bride lol

Sitkaspruce
08-17-2014, 08:28 PM
I believe I am gonna guide a father son combo of bow hunters for moose this year because they are repeat clients and will only come if I'm guiding. We got along well last year but it was a tough situation last year wit a lot of wolves around, led to very nervous and quiet moose. No goat this year and it may be my last season guiding as I have to many personal hunts I want to do such as my own goat and moose. Always the bridesmaid never the bride lol

Repeats are always great, says something about you and who you are.

I too gave it up, bad back and knees were pushing me, but not getting my own time to hunt was the biggest reason I gave it up. Too many hunts and not enough time.

Good luck this year.

Cheers

SS

digger dogger
08-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Its to bad about your back, i know your pain!
No sweat on the brain picking:-) Like others have said, you'll get your day!
Take care of that back, and take it easy moose hunting.
DD

boxhitch
08-18-2014, 07:49 AM
Sometimes theres just not enough advils around.
Tough ending to a hunt with great potential, but you gotta look after your self. take care

markomoose
08-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Ah YES back pain is the enemy on any hunting adventure.Look after yourself and try again next year?

604redneck
08-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Ya I will be back at it soon as I feel like it's strengthened up again

coach
08-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Sorry to hear you had to end your hunt early as I know how much planning went into making the trip. Good on you for posting thr story and I'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing some pics.

ElectricDyck
08-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Live and learn with hunting, especially mountain hunting, lots to go wrong and right. I find the older I get the more I get sidelined from what used to be minor injuries, I've now spent a total of 5 days laid out cause it hurts to move and ibuprophen can't touch it, simply from pushing/pulling/lifting too hard with my back at work, it sucks to getting old, never used to be an issue. Get strong and give it another go, looking forward to the pics, nice country up there!