PDA

View Full Version : public hunting land

Southpaw45
08-15-2014, 09:43 PM
How do I find good maps detailing private and public hunting land. Located in the okanagan near kelowna and just want to make sure I am hunting in the proper areas. I don't really have anyone to take me out so I'm learning as I go and don't want to step on any toes. If any one wants to give me a few decent public land areas to check out that would be pretty awesome too

Whonnock Boy
08-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Download google earth along with this..... http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/kml/front_counter_bc_loader.kml
Find the crown, and private option in the menu, and bob's your uncle.

Sitkaspruce
08-15-2014, 10:03 PM
IMap is your friend. It has all the info you need.

Cheers

SS

Southpaw45
08-16-2014, 06:28 AM
Are either of these options usable on a smart phone. Not a huge deal either way but would be pretty handy

XPEIer
08-16-2014, 06:41 AM
if you put an app called GPS Kit HD on your Iphone or I pad, you then can convert the areas of interest into a KML and open it in your phone. Nice thing is, you have google earth imagery WITHOUT having to be in cell range. Screen will be small, but usable.

xpeier

Dog_River
08-18-2014, 04:45 AM
where is the crown and private option ? cant seem to locate it in the menu

Thanks, Dog_River

Download google earth along with this..... http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/kml/front_counter_bc_loader.kml
Find the crown, and private option in the menu, and bob's your uncle.

Grizzloonly
08-18-2014, 07:40 AM
Another resource is the Integrated Land and Resource Registry (https://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imfs/imf.jsp?site=libc_ilrr).

Southpaw45
08-22-2014, 02:57 PM
i finally got home from camp and was able to get on the computer. i checked out imaps which is a really cool site but as far as the layers i need to lay down i am incredibly lost. there are so many options and i want to make sure i am getting it right and not just making an assumption that could get me in trouble this season. if you have any tips for what layers you use or how to better go about using the page i would really appreciate the advice

thanks

Southpaw
IMap is your friend. It has all the info you need.

Cheers

SS

GoatGuy
08-22-2014, 03:24 PM
The RDCO has its own GIS software as well.

deadlyshot19
08-22-2014, 04:05 PM
if you put an app called GPS Kit HD on your Iphone or I pad, you then can convert the areas of interest into a KML and open it in your phone. Nice thing is, you have google earth imagery WITHOUT having to be in cell range. Screen will be small, but usable.

xpeier

Does this detail private and crown land as well? Also reserves?

Doostien
08-22-2014, 06:42 PM
I wrote this on another thread but I'll post it here. Hopefully I wrote it clearly enough to help someone. It will show private property and leases, I'm not sure if there is another layer for other 'No Hunting' areas, but I imagine there is somewhere.

http://maps.gov.bc.ca/ess/sv/imapbc/

Zoom in on the area, select:

(At the top left of the screen)

Maps & Data Sources:

Add DataBC Layer:

Land Ownership and Status
-Crown Leases
-Lease Tenures <----Check this box.

Then again:
Add DataBC Layer:

-Ownership Layer
-INtegrated Cadastral Fabric-Private Ownership <----Check this box.

.30-06 camsavbc
08-22-2014, 07:43 PM
where is the crown and private option ? cant seem to locate it in the menu

Thanks, Dog_River
click Places on the left middle menu then scroll down near the bottom and check private lands

BraveKnight
09-03-2014, 03:58 PM
I wrote this on another thread but I'll post it here. Hopefully I wrote it clearly enough to help someone. It will show private property and leases, I'm not sure if there is another layer for other 'No Hunting' areas, but I imagine there is somewhere.

http://maps.gov.bc.ca/ess/sv/imapbc/

Zoom in on the area, select:

(At the top left of the screen)

Maps & Data Sources:

Add DataBC Layer:

-Crown Leases
-Lease Tenures <----Check this box.

Then again:
Add DataBC Layer:

-Ownership Layer
-INtegrated Cadastral Fabric-Private Ownership <----Check this box.

So the areas in white unless in a community are crown land that we can hunt on?

Doostien
09-03-2014, 04:23 PM
So the areas in white unless in a community are crown land that we can hunt on?Its a safe bet to assume so. Though before you hunt an area check for signage those options won't show things like city limits, no shooting areas, ecological reserves etc. But those areas should be signed quite well with 'official' signs.

albravo2
09-03-2014, 04:44 PM
I've never worried about checking a map for public land.

Assuming you aren't in a densely populated area you should have a good sense if the land is private or not. Houses, livestock, fences all indicate ownership.

If you get out of town a ways and find yourself some old back roads you should be fine.

Per the regs, posted (No Hunting), planted, or fenced areas are off limits.

sawmill
09-03-2014, 06:35 PM
If it ain`t fenced,posted or under cultivation or has a building then hunt away.Drive forestry roads.

asherriff
09-04-2014, 09:24 AM
question... on the Google earth download... what are the "Crown" areas in pink? are they grazing leases? If so, are they open to hunting?

Mikey Rafiki
09-04-2014, 09:53 AM
I've never worried about checking a map for public land.

Assuming you aren't in a densely populated area you should have a good sense if the land is private or not. Houses, livestock, fences all indicate ownership.

If you get out of town a ways and find yourself some old back roads you should be fine.

Per the regs, posted (No Hunting), planted, or fenced areas are off limits.

There are thousands of miles of fence on public land. Most are for grazing leases, many of which may be active or expired. There are also many fences that obstruct unconstructed legal road right of ways that are meant to provide access corridors to public land beyond.

That's why ownership maps are great; I use many of these fenced off accesses to go where others probably wouldn't. I typically carry a legal property map with me in these situations as it has resolved disputes with people who think I'm trespassing.

ARC
09-04-2014, 12:22 PM
question... on the Google earth download... what are the "Crown" areas in pink? are they grazing leases? If so, are they open to hunting?

The pink areas are surveyed crown parcels. However, just because they are crown does not mean they are necessarily open to hunting. As noted above, make sure to check they are not crown leases - I think someone pointed out where to find this layer above.

Also, I believe Indian Reserves will show up as the pink 'Crown Land', but public access is obviously restricted in these areas.

asherriff
09-04-2014, 12:24 PM
thanks. I will keep looking. If it is a crown Lease for grazing would it be posted? I don't have these areas where I live and will be exploring a new zone this year that appears to have some of these pink areas.

ARC
09-04-2014, 12:33 PM
thanks. I will keep looking. If it is a crown Lease for grazing would it be posted? I don't have these areas where I live and will be exploring a new zone this year that appears to have some of these pink areas.

My understanding is that grazing 'leases' are actually fairly rare Province-wide, however some areas, such as around Kamloops, seem to have a lot of them.

Some are posted and some are not. However, I believe the same rules of private land apply, that being if the land is 'enclosed' (ie. fenced, posted and/or cultivated), then you need permission to access.

It is best to just check the link that Doostien posted above - the crown leases are clearly shown.

Swamp mule
09-11-2014, 07:31 PM
To all hunters. In reference to above comments and inquiries.
There are grazing leases and there are grazing licences. Grazing licences are labeled and start with the three letters "RAN" (Range Agreement Number) Majority of the BC crown land is range lands covered by these 15 to 25 year renewal tenures that are fenced but also open to recreational activities to the general public a shared resource for all. The best common sense is respect for all fencelines and gates. Leave it as you found it. Access is not restricted on range tenures and are not posted by tenure holders. However, there are some instances where some tenure holders do post their crown range and do confuse their licenses as leases. So the best is to make sure that you know your aarea that you are hunting in and to make sure that you know that there are those three letters that are ahead of the ran number.

Now Grazing leases are an entirely different entity that should be respected by all. All grazing leases do not start with the three letters "RAN" but by numbers. All leases are renewable every 21yrs with a management plan. The biggest difference is that all leasee's pay a annual tax in addition to their forage fee. Every lease is not the same and some are different from each other. Access to these leases are restricted and require leasee permission. Should these leases be posted, ranchers can then charge all trespassers under the Trespass Act. There are a number of leases south of PG but there are a number in the Peace area and the size of leases vary. On the land status maps acquired at Corlanes are highlighted in a particular colour. It is the hunters responsibility to know where they are located and not crossing into these leases. I have been informed from local ranchers that most hunters are not shooting or taking signs and dropping them on the ground but rather taking them with them when they go through the fencelines and gates. Should you find gates locked at a lease access point then they are allowed to do so. The other issue is that some hunters are even cutting fences to gain access without consideration. This is now leading to ranchers closing their private lands and/or leases to all future hunting even if they complain about the wildlife impacts and want something to do about it. It is those that have lower ethics and morals that are impacting all others.
Community pastures. Check your regulations and know where they are and where the boundaries are that are closed to hunting and when they are open. Some do not allow hunting at all and are posted at the entrances to the pasture.