PDA

View Full Version : Dog stories

Big Lew
08-15-2014, 07:06 PM
In response to "Foxton Gundogs" posted story about his protective lab. Yes, I enjoyed the story. It reminded me of my first lab. He was also very protective and as he was built like a large pitbull because of all the mountain traveling, he was pretty intimidating as well. The difference between mine and yours was that once I properly introduced him to anyone, they could approach him later without incident. You're also right about once you have a great dog, it's very hard to find another that will measure up. That first dog literally saved my life more than once, as did I for him. Although I've made comments about how good my current lab is, and how well he takes to training etc, it's not likely he will ever hold a candle to that first one, mainly because I'll never be able to spend anywhere as much time with him in the bush and mountains. I consider myself to be very lucky to have had professional help when training my endurance horse and that lab. There's nothing like being able to go long distances in very rough terrain with confidence because both your dog and horse are up to it. Four of us passed that lab up a vertical rock face once by holding the back of his head as we passed him from one to another. (we had a safety rope on him) He remained calm and followed my commands perfectly during the exercise. We had 2 other dogs with us that we couldn't even get to try it.

yamadirt 426
08-18-2014, 09:46 PM
i don't have any defensive story's although I had a doberman that was absolutely bat shit protective of the car. to the point that he tore apart the arm rest of the rear passenger door of my first trooper (rip that suv) because a guy was riding his bike beside us. That dog was an endurance champ and we made the front page of the abbotsford paper because it took the guy from the paper 4 blocks to catch up to us, him pulling me on my roller blades. he would do a 12 kms circuit at full speed will me holding on . I would jump 3 blocks of side walk using driveways for ramps we were going so fast and were clocked just under 50kms per hr in a speed trap and had many bails sliding across the pavement in and around cars that totally underestimated our speeds. We were attacked at full speed by the same Shepard twice which i totally annihilated the 2nd time around. We would go out rain or shine, it was exhilarating, dangerous, and obviously hella fun. ive never had a dog that ran that hard, its all he cared about. Ive never had more people tell me what a magnificent looking dog he was. Cancer took him at 5yrs. in his prime. rip CRUZER

Big Lew
08-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Sorry to hear that....that first lab of mine also developed cancer at 8 years. It spread rapidly and I had to put him down. It sure leaves a void in one's life for awhile that's for sure.

Fella
08-19-2014, 10:26 AM
My grandparents had a very loyal lab many years ago. Seems one day someone broke into their house and Sammy bravely defended the families property, however the scum bag took a hockey stick and beat her to within an inch of her life. She was never the same after that, my grandpa would have to help her up when she was laying down and she was very frightened of new people. She continued to deteriorate. The family couldn't take seeing her suffer so my uncle one day took her for a walk in the bush to a beautiful waterfall and told her she was a good girl and that she could rest there and the family would be ok and he left her there.