PDA

View Full Version : SUV game carrying options

Tommybuckles
08-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to hunting and have a ton of questions. Firstly, this is a great site. Tons of people willing to help and provide information which is greatly appreciated. So I cover my bases before I post my question I'll start with a joke:

A pirate walks into a bar with a ships steering wheel hanging from his crotch. The bartender looks up and and says, " Hey buddy you know you have a steering wheel on the front of your pants". The pirate replies, "Arrr, I know it's driving me nuts".

Now for my question. I drive and older SUV that is more than capable of taking me off road. But if I fill it with camping/hunting gear as well as possibly a small platform for sleeping then what would be my options for transpoting a deer? I was wondering how other members haul game that have a similar set up? Anyone ever use a hitch mounted cargo box? Pics of your SUV set up would be awesome if anyone has them.

Thanks!

longstonec
08-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Welcome.

I like sleeping outside of the vehicle if possible. It can be warmer and not the same stinky air come morning... and less chance of me turning on all my lights and draining the battery.

If you debone a deer, it wont take up much space. otherwise wrap it in a tarp and put it in the passenger seat!

mikeboehm
08-14-2014, 10:49 PM
http://www.princessauto.com/mobile/product/productDetail.jsp?productID=8402257

Brambles
08-14-2014, 10:53 PM
Your options are limited if you already have it full before you pull the trigger!

I've just incorporated an SUV into my hunting regime as well, I'm gonna build a roof basket to hold gear. Fold down basket off the trailer hitch is an option too,

000buck
08-14-2014, 11:03 PM
There's sum thin bout a truck...

000buck
08-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Roof basket is the best option. Load gear in the suv until you need the space then top load the gear and toss the critter in the back

chris
08-14-2014, 11:19 PM
I use an SUV for hunting and love it. If I'm going somewhere too hairy to bring my small utility trailer then I through it on the roof racks or usually just in the trunk on a tarp if I don't have far to go. I can say that my small SUV is better then any pick up I've had for hunting, easy to turn around if the road ends without any turnaround. That said a pick up is better once you get your animal.

snowplayaa
08-14-2014, 11:29 PM
tarp works just fine but you could get fancy and source a large plastic sled or plastic storage container if you are worried about blood.

andrewscag
08-15-2014, 12:20 AM
I've never wanted to put an animal out back by the exhaust and right in line to pick up all the road grime coming off my tires. Mine go on the roof of the Cherokee with ice in the cavity if its a longer trip back home. And x2 on boning out and putting in a cooler or two if its warm out. They can go pretty much anywhere.

buck nash
08-15-2014, 12:25 AM
What are you driving?

I used a jeep for a few years. It got me where I needed to go but space could get tight with a couple extra guys and their gear. For just me or me and my son it had tons of space. But if I'd known those trailer hitch baskets were so cheap I'd have probably picked one up.

Still a deer or bear doesn't take much space. Once its all cut up, it'll fit in a cooler or a couple heavy duty trash bags.

I've got a trooper now and it rocks. Easily carries enough for a few guys and their gear with enough space for a couple deer.

E.B.
08-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Gutless method of field dressing, its fast and easy and the whole deer will fit in one of those plastic storage tubs from wallmart. Takes up very little room and no mess.

Blacktail
08-15-2014, 06:44 AM
I had a blazer for a few years and put a medium size plastic Otter sled in it
worked really well and kept the mess contained.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-15-2014, 08:09 AM

PA had that on sale a few months ago for only $40. Could not pass it up!

r106
08-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Gutless method of field dressing, its fast and easy and the whole deer will fit in one of those plastic storage tubs from wallmart. Takes up very little room and no mess.

X2 ^^^ learn the gutless method and learn to de-bone you could pack all the meat from a deer in a backpack.

albravo2
08-15-2014, 08:21 AM
All above options work. Just don't use garbage bags, they aren't made for food. You can get big food storage bags, but the plastic containers are probably easier.

Tommybuckles
08-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the replies. Originally I was planning on getting something like this. But everyone seems to suggest the gutless method and a Tupperware bin, which seems cheap and simple. Also, I never took into consideration the exhaust factor.

HarryToolips
08-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Welcome.

I like sleeping outside of the vehicle if possible. It can be warmer and not the same stinky air come morning... and less chance of me turning on all my lights and draining the battery.

If you debone a deer, it wont take up much space. otherwise wrap it in a tarp and put it in the passenger seat!
I agree, been there and done it...I own a 99 Pathfinder, had a 94 Forerunner before that, both werk great..

Steeleco
08-15-2014, 03:45 PM
For the period when I owned a Cherokee I used this to get the game back to camp where it was dealt with and either game bagged and put into a large Rubbermaid tote or in the trailer. Also worked well for carrying gas cans into the woods on those longer trips. The artwork is courtesy of Elkhound and Buckwheat. They never did clean that off LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/My%20pictures/IMG_3930.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/steeleco/media/My%20pictures/IMG_3930.jpg.html)

r106
08-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. Originally I was planning on getting something like this. But everyone seems to suggest the gutless method and a Tupperware bin, which seems cheap and simple. Also, I never took into consideration the exhaust factor.

Extra storage is always good. The only problem with that is it would be dragging on the ground through cross ditches or going over logs or rocks. A roof rack would be much better IMHO

sawmill
08-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Nice one,I hauled a whole moose home in a Dodge Aries hatchback,half in the back and the front half on the roof.Head and all.All you need is rope.And a few good packers knots.I had to hunt one fall with my old lady`s brand new Taurus(truck died)She told me "You better not be putting dead deer in my trunk!"I just tarped it and me and my buddy hauled 4 home in the trunk that fall.Whole,guts and all.She never knew till I told her years later.
By the way,the older Taurus had a trunk you could haul five dead Mafia guys in. :mrgreen:

Fred1
08-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Some 6mil poly and a blue tarp worked for years in my Volvo... Good date combo too!!

olympia
08-15-2014, 04:52 PM
princess auto has this rack that slides into your trailer hitch, its basically a steel plate couple feet wide and 4ft long, you could always strap/attach a homemade box or cooler onto it, it kinda works on those dirtbike carrier principle

GotaGun
08-15-2014, 05:29 PM
I use a tracker/ sidekick for hunting.
And just use a tarp in the back for game.

Jagermeister
08-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Aww dude, you don't want your precious meat on some thing like that. Too much dirt and roadie crap at the level. Roof rack is the way to go, cleaner and cooler

Kami
08-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Sidekick with roof rack here. Plenty of room for 2 and a carcass. Gas, chainsaw, coolers of beer

Peter Pepper
08-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Cut the legs off, get the back straps, loins, neck meat and chuck it all in a cooler. Takes up minimal room. This might be called the gutless method, I don't know. Oh and don't forget the liver and heat. Both are super tasty. My former vegetarian wife goes crazy for fresh dear liver, and so do I. Never thought I would but damn tasty. Don't overcook the liver, and slow cook the heart

Drillbit
08-15-2014, 09:37 PM
A blue tarp.

Doesn't everyone have one in the trunk/back of the truck/under the seat? (lime&shovel optional, lol)

dime
08-15-2014, 09:38 PM
I have one of the trailer hitch carts, great for gas cans and the like. The problem is not only exhaust but also dust and mud from the tires getting all over the meat- inside the carcass is the ribs/tenderloin, not good to taint even one ounce of meat. Best option: bring a block and tackle with you, as soon as you kill it, gut it and hang it over a handy leaning tree and skin it out. Take your time and pick every bit of hair and dirt off the carcass and put it in game bags. You can then put in a tarp or in a tub and not worry about it. I have put a field dressed carcass in a tarp in the back of my ford escape and had blood leak through the tarp into the carpet in the back. If you do not have a rubber liner, I would not recommend using a normal tarp as shit happens.
Good luck,
Dime

Tommybuckles
08-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate all the help. I will do some searching for a good roof basket/rack. As well as do some more research on the "gutless method". Alot to learn for sure, but it makes things easier with all the help.

Kami
08-16-2014, 08:06 AM
http://www.alteredegomotorsports.com/uploads/3/6/5/2/3652259/1363757_orig.jpg

Made right here in BC.